Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 17: Chicken Chow Mein

Options
  • 03-05-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks. So this is my take on Chow Mein. Hope yizzer like it.

Ingredients:
    3 Garlic Cloves
    Good Chunk Fresh Root Ginger
    1 Red Chilli
    2TBSP Soy Sauce
    2TBSP Tomato Puree
    2/3 Chicken Breasts
    Straight 2 Wok Noodles (amount depends on people serving)
    1/2 Carrots
    Handful Mangetout
    Few Mushrooms
    1 TBSP Vegetable Oil (I used Sunflower tonight cos I forgot to buy more Veg Oil!)
    Couple Handfuls Beansprouts
    3 Spring Onions (I halved and chopped some and just chopped the rest)
    1TBSP Oyster Sauce

Pic: Ingredients
    20140503_212248_zpse1xzgd8y.jpg

The lidl beer is just to help the work along!!!

Method:
    Deseed and chop the chilli and throw into a bowl. Peel and grate the ginger and add to the same bowl. Peel and crush the garlic (I used a garlic press) and throw into the bowl. Add the tomato puree and soy sauce and mix. Then chop the chicken in thick strips, stir into the sauce and leave to marinade.

Pic: Chicken marinating:
    20140503_213959_zps1nlhxzpk.jpg

Obviously you'll be washing your hands here cos of the chicken gick, but wash thoroughly or you'll get chilli genitals later and that is NOT a good thing :(!!!!

Chop the carrots into teeny sticks. Cut your shrooms into an acceptable size. Cut your spring onions diagonally (like the local Chinese does!).

Boil a pan of water and throw the carrots and mangetout into it for four mins to boil.

Put the veg oil into a wok and heat. Throw the chicken and marinade in and cook for five mins.

Pic: Chicken cooking and Carrot and Mangetout boiling:
    0735bd8c-5093-4151-aebc-cbfff048eacb_zps0d1e1d17.jpg

Ignore the horrid looking cooker. Been a bit unwell lately and didn't get it cleaned pre pics. Mind it shows tis well used!!! Also the bugger is old and on it's last legs!

Drain the Carrot/Mangetout. Throw them, the shrooms, spring onions, beansprouts and noodles into the wok and stir in. Cook for a couple min at most. You are just heating through the veg and noodles.

Pic: Veg and Noodles stirred in:
    20140503_220339_zpsnlsp9dpn.jpg

Mix the oyster sauce with a couple tablespoons of water and mix into the dish at the last minute. Then dish up and enjoy.

Pic: Dished up x2:
    66c3f4f5-6917-4dda-a55a-be73af88c932_zps9b478b2d.jpg

20140503_220653_zpsrpmud7hq.jpg

Couple notes: You can change up the veg if you want. The original recipe I saw had broccoli in it and I hated it in there.
    Use more noodles if cooking for more folk (I had two peeps). Also use more veggies aswell.

Lads I hope you enjoy. Any feedback lemme know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yum. Such and easy and simple recipe. I'll be trying this for a midweek dinner. Thanks so much. It looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looks great, but one thing:
    chilli genitals

glove1303_228x338.jpg
    1 box of these is about a tenner in Boots and you'll never get chilli juice where you don't want it ever again. Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tried this tonight. Quick and tasty, I'll definitely cook it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Made the sauce for a pork chop, for something so easy it packs such a big flavour. Very nice, though I added some vinegar and sugar to get that salty, spicy, sweet and sour mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Made this tonight and loved it, simple quick and tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Made this today, very tasty. Will be on the regulars list for sure :)

Advertisement