Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4TB usb Router?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All
    i bought a western digital My Book 4Tb drive. I thought i bought a version with a ethernet connection but thats now called My Cloud. My mistake

i have it opened so i cant return it. I want to use it to store all my media files on it for my home entertainment system. I thought i could connect it into a router with usb but was told that most routers only support up to 2TB

im stuck so has anyone any suggestions how i get around my problem. Do i just try sell the My Book or is there a router that can slove my issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.overclock.net/products/asus-rt-n66u-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router

The RT-n66U works. Why don't you pick a router model and google it with WD 4tb to see if there are compatibility problems. First thing that happens when something doesn't work is people complain to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Pick up a raspberry pi and connect it to that. 4TB will work no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

degsie wrote: »
    Pick up a raspberry pi and connect it to that. 4TB will work no problem.

This will work but the Pi only has a 100Meg nic. Not great for streaming HD but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

coillcam wrote: »
    This will work but the Pi only has a 100Meg nic. Not great for streaming HD but its a start.

Since when is 100Mb not good for hd streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

It will work which is why I said not great as opposed to not going to work. Not great as in if there is any other significant network traffic to the Pi the connection could become saturated quickly. The thought of transferring big files at 10MB/s gives me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy a MyCloud too, then you can link the book to the cloud and have 8tb in one little nas pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

coillcam wrote: »
    not great as opposed to not going to work. Not great as in if there is any other significant network traffic to the Pi the connection could become saturated quickly.

Your average 1080p video file will stream at about 10Mb/s. You'd have to be downloading more than 90Mb/s of other traffic from the Pi at the same time to cause any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Your average 1080p video file will stream at about 10Mb/s. You'd have to be downloading more than 90Mb/s of other traffic from the Pi at the same time to cause any problems.

Encodes, yes, I have a few bluray rips here that use 30mbit+ across my network

Advertisement