Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding the best school to do my LC?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I have just finished my junior cert this year and am trying to decide on a good school to do my senior cycle. The school I was in was terribly run and had next to no good facilities whatsoever. I was looking at Limerick Tutorial College, and also Villiers School. I can't seem to decided which one. If I went to Villiers I would be a weekly boarder, and if I went to the Tutorial I would come home every evening. I am very musically orientated and plan to study music (piano) in college. If anyone could offer advice or just experience they might have had at these schools if would help a lot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,530 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Doesn't matter a whole lot to be honest, if you want to do well you'll put the effort in and apply yourself no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

As said above you could have the best teachers in the world but if you're not willing to put in the work you won't do much. If your determined and work hard you'll do well anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Yeah you may aswell go for LTC since itll be more convenient for you. Also the teachers are really motivating and great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Doesn't matter a whole lot to be honest, if you want to do well you'll put the effort in and apply yourself no matter where you go.

Not necessarily true. If your teachers are crap, you're at a massive disadvantage.

OP, why don't you do 5th year in your old school and then maybe go to a grinds school in 6th year if you feel you need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lissaH

I went to tutorial to repeat my leaving. It is amazing but would say its a waste of money going for 5th and 6th you just do the same thing twice.

Music I am not too sure about. Grind schools are intense. I was in Monday to Friday 8am-10pm, Saturday 9-5, And from Easter on a Sunday 9-5. They focus solely on points so being Music or Arty(or any subject that takes an examiners personal discretion into account) is not a high priority but these classes will be smaller my History class had just 11 people but there was 5 separate Geography classes 35 in each class.

If points are what your interested in then go I went up 255 from the first leaving I did to get in the high 500s.

Its a complete different set up to any school including villiers . You call your teachers by there first name, you wear your own clothes and your treated like an adult(You can buy cigarettes in the school shop and they have a smoking area!!)

You have to want to go there though I would never advise a parent to force there child in there it wont work and I have known people to get less points then there original leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

lissaH wrote: »
    (You can buy cigarettes in the school shop and they have a smoking area!!)

Really don't mean to derail this, but that is the first time in many years I've heard that described as a plus of any institution and it's actually pretty shocking. Anyway, carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lissaH

linguist wrote: »
    Really don't mean to derail this, but that is the first time in many years I've heard that described as a plus of any institution and it's actually pretty shocking. Anyway, carry on!

I never said it was a plus just trying to describe how it is different to any other school set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

lissaH wrote: »
    I never said it was a plus just trying to describe how it is different to any other school set ups

Fair point, you didn't! To me it just smacks of 'we are a pretend pre-university kind of place and not a boring old school' but doing something really silly in a bid to reinforce that. Anyway, I think I've brought the train totally off the tracks by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

So I have just finished my junior cert this year and am trying to decide on a good school to do my senior cycle. The school I was in was terribly run and had next to no good facilities whatsoever. I was looking at Limerick Tutorial College, and also Villiers School. I can't seem to decided which one. If I went to Villiers I would be a weekly boarder, and if I went to the Tutorial I would come home every evening. I am very musically orientated and plan to study music (piano) in college. If anyone could offer advice or just experience they might have had at these schools if would help a lot :)

St Louis CS Kiltimagh obviously.

Advertisement