Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar leads

Options
  • 12-12-2004 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭

My nephew has told me that he'd like a new guitar lead for Christmas. Now knowing nothing about such items other than they connect guitar (A) to amp (B) I could end up getting him a real pile of crap, so I've a couple of questions I'd like to ask:

- Are all leads the same?
    - If not, which are the better makes?
    - How much could I expect to pay for a decent lead?

Thanks

Zaph

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Not really
    Planet Waves are good and reasonably priced. Monster cables are ridiculously priced.
    €20 or so for about 5M (15 feet or so)

Planet Waves Circuit Breakers

20ft cable - €30 and well worth it

Buy in perfect Pitch!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Emmet, where's Perfect Pitch?

just off grafton street, in the "Music Quarter" :D

Exchequer street i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong

Nice one. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cables are all the same. Theres only one small difference that may make arise: Some cables have a corner jack at one end (the jack itself is at a right-angle to the cable) and that shouldn't affect anything, but the only scenario where he may have trouble is if the input on the amp is in a very tight spot and he has a fender strat style jack input on the guitar.

All cables are most definately not the same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's hard to find a good lead. The Planet Waves ones are nice though, and they take ages to crap out. I use them. I got mine in Musician Inc. 15 yoyo's for a 10ft one.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_cordial_cai5bk_instrumentenkabel_prodinfo.html

I just ordered two of these. Have lovely Neutrik jacks on the ends too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'd also recommend planet waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Planet waves !

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ernie Ball!

Not that they're better, I just wanted to be contrary

Ernie ball don't do cables afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well tell that to the black pieces of cable connecting my effects pedals right now...

Begorrah, that's news to me.

Ernie Ball - not a very rock'n'roll name for such a piece of kit, is it? :)

I'll have a look out for them too - thanks for all the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I pretty much swear by Ernie Ball strings, so I must give these leads a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Cables are all the same.

That's a very bold statement.

And completly wrong too.

I find Cyber Cable – Gold Connectors the best cables at the mo.

Not sure where ur gonna get them at short notice though!

€20 should get ya a fairly decent cable anyway.

:cool:

Cables are all the same.

Sorry for the assumption, but this guy was buying a cable as an xmas present for his nephew, and the impression i got was that the nephew was a newb guitar player. And at that stage in playing, all cables are practically the same!

Yes but he will advance then realise his cable is crap. So why not spend another €10 now and have a better cable for longer?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the assumption, but this guy was buying a cable as an xmas present for his nephew, and the impression i got was that the nephew was a newb guitar player. And at that stage in playing, all cables are practically the same!

Good excuse.

But even for a newb, it's important to get decent gear. I mean you're not gonna want to keep playing if you're lead crackles everytime you dive off your bed playing the intro riff to teen spirit are you?

:cool:

Fusion251 wrote:
    everytime you dive off your bed playing the intro riff to teen spirit are you?

*shudders*

feylya wrote:
    *shudders*

Shudder all you like, you know you did it.

:rolleyes:

feylya wrote:
    Yes but he will advance then realise his cable is crap. So why not spend another €10 now and have a better cable for longer?

By the time he advances, the cheap cable would probably have crapped out, but who needs a more expensive cable when youre using a 10w Gorilla amp?

ANYWAY, ill give up now cos im just sounding like a cheapskate. Any future guitar playing nephews of mine will be doomed to crackling hell! Unless one of ye tell them, so everyone better shut your mouths for the next 15 years, ok? :cool:

Fusion251 wrote:
    Shudder all you like, you know you did it.

:rolleyes:

I know.

Painful memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh. Nothing wrong with it. There is if you're still playing the same riff ten years down the line while jumping off your bed. That's called a complete lack of progression! :p

I do still play. But I jump on the bed now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

By the time he advances, the cheap cable would probably have crapped out, but who needs a more expensive cable when youre using a 10w Gorilla amp?

Ah, Gorilla amps. My first amp was a Gorilla. I'd spent too much on the guitar and it was all I could afford. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Even the blackest of black metal bands would shy away from it's clean tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dpmasunder

Be careful with Planet Waves cables, I've seen the springy earth connecty-bit get stuck in Takamine-style endpin jacks, and the tip 'v' is cut too deep so it doesn't contact well in Switchcraft barrel jacks. Just a warning...
    I swear by DiMarzio cables. Sound great and last forever. Yes cables do contribute to the sound of your guitar!

• Advertisement
Advertisement