Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website for Entrepreneurs - Feedback Required

Options
  • 22-06-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm developing a social project (www.PartnerSeeds.ie) to make it easier for people to start or expand a business by making it easier to find people who have ideas, contacts, skills or assets.

Unfortunately I'm not an experienced web developer so it only has basic functionality but it would really help to get some feedback on the idea and the website.

Also, please pm me if you are trying to find a business partner to start a business with or to refer business to each other. I'm keen to work closely with individuals to understand their needs better.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

I like the idea, as I'm starting a business it is definitely a site, which if receives good uptake within the community I can definitely see being of benefit to someone like myself.

The website looks decent, still a little rough around the edges, but i'm sure when you are full and ready and happy with it it could look great.

I haven't really flicked around with it too much, or engaged with anyone on it but I will keep an eye on it definitely. Well done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Text on the homepage is very hard to read. Contrast is your friend. The text on other pages could also do with a bit more contrast and larger text.

Site is not responsive which is pretty much a must these days.

The sign-up call to action is premature, you need to sell the concept with something like 'how it works' and/or 'success stories', then have the call to action.

The sign up box doesn't validate input for valid email addresses and that the passwords are the same. Email validation is native to html5.

You are using javascript for some functions/links, make these regular links.

You need a dedicated and proper privacy policy. The current version doesn't cut it adequately.

You also need to fix some items in your terms and conditions. The Data Protection Act has a more recent version and Availability is UK oriented. There could be other items which need to be adjusted from the copypasta. Eg. the repeated use of 'The Company' isn't great, just use your company name.

You have no proper contact details or info on who you are which foster trust.

You need success stories when you have them later.

hth/gl

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There is a website review thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1382

There is no advertising on boards so keep this to a website review thread and don't walk the thin line of using it to try pimp out your services.

Thanks.

A lot of these companies have popped up in the last few years. I joined one or two of them early and then realised they just became spamfests, and breeding grounds for scammers.
    The concept is nice, but filtering it and getting the right people to actually join is another thing, thats where the business will rise or fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

I think the home page is far too cluttered.

You are repeating yourself, and trying to to explain too much (ideas+skills+assets+concepts).

If you paraphrase your original post, I think it does a better job of explaining your site than your existing homepage:

Start or expand your business by finding people who have ideas, contacts, skills or assets.

The essential value proposition of your site is obvious from browsing a page, such as this one:

http://www.partnerseeds.ie/search.php?resource=contacts

With your site I'd take a "show, don't tell" approach and sell the benefits (which is what you should be doing on the home page).

Do you plan to target the Irish market? Given that you have a .ie it would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

I'd like to start with Ireland first. If it goes well then move to other countries, hopefully making it easier for Irish firms to expand abroad.

Agree with the comment about the homepage being too cluttered, working on a redesign

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

That search box I see you added looks really well. To me, if that element (the search box) existed on its own it would be a better homepage design. I'm slightly exagerating (but the search box contains everything needed to understand what the site offers in about 5 seconds).

Most of the other content on the homepage seems like clutter, so if you are the designer maybe step back from it for a week and take a fresh perspective on it.

I think you are right starting with the Irish market. Ireland is small, but since there are quite a few sites offering similar services on a global level Ireland could be a good place for you to get a foothold and refine your service. Being Irish-centric is a real distinguishing value proposition.

Also, the site is something I myself would be interested in joining when you have real people. Maybe have an email subscription form to let people know when you are out of beta? That might also help solve the chicken and egg problem (how do you get people to join when there are no people on the site).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 housamz

The website looks very good for me, and I found the design to be helping the purpose it.
    Nice, clean and tidy.

Although I recommend that:
    1. You make the texts a little bit darker.
    2. You need to focus on the about page content, it looks very poor.
    3. Get the website a responsive design if you don't like mobile users to close your website and go away.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 housamz

BTW, search results are not accurate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Nice idea.

I agree with the above posters and everything I would say has already been said. The homepage text is hard to read but I think it is clear what the objective of the website is.

Regarding the privacy policy, this might help you. It's a template designed by Fáilte Ireland, but you may need to add it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement