Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois Elections on 23rd May 2014

Options
  • 15-05-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

What elections are coming up?

I've seen signs for European Elections, checked the candidates, know who I want to vote for but then I see "Vote 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in that order" on some signs.

Whats the story with the elections?

Who can I vote for? I'm living in Laois.

What am I voting them in to?

This information can help alot of people clear things up so please don't be rude. Please post as much as you know about local and European elections.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

What elections are coming up?

I've seen signs for European Elections, checked the candidates, know who I want to vote for but then I see "Vote 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in that order" on some signs.

Whats the story with the elections?

Who can I vote for? I'm living in Laois.

What am I voting them in to?

This information can help alot of people clear things up so please don't be rude. Please post as much as you know about local and European elections.

Thanks.

Did you not get loads of stuff about whos runnin for who through your door?

I had a good few calling to my door but its like their knickers are on fire and cant wait to move on.
    Not once did anyone ask me how are things in your area is there any issues or problems?

They all said same speil.
    Hi just hopin you could give me a vote in next election whilst walkin away from door.

So they all can feck off.

The only one that looks like he is out "doing" something is an independant fella from that anti austerity alliance.

To be honest if they have not a minute to stop and talk to me at my door it shows they really dont care about the people out there.
    So will they listen to me when /if i need their help.?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SigmundFreud

Yeah I did but I'm confused as to what I'm actually voting the candidate into. Also how the voting structure works. It says vote 1 through 5 but I only have taught about voting for one person. Also the person is running for European election and I'm unsure if there are local elections or what. Information regarding local elections and candidates is hard to find. Especially information that's readable for those who couldn't care less about politics but know it's important to vote in someone who has similar interests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Hale

Vote <modsnip>
    The only man who does anything for anyone Good for man
    Forget all the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Everyone: No canvassing for named individual candidates or political groupings.

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yeah I did but I'm confused as to what I'm actually voting the candidate into. Also how the voting structure works. It says vote 1 through 5 but I only have taught about voting for one person. Also the person is running for European election and I'm unsure if there are local elections or what. Information regarding local elections and candidates is hard to find. Especially information that's readable for those who couldn't care less about politics but know it's important to vote in someone who has similar interests.

Yes theres local council elections and there is european elections.

The voting system is proportional representaion
    To be honest i would not b fully up on all this politics stuff !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 HAZEMAN

I don't know who to vote for in the local election.

Without canvassing, can anyone suggest who would be the best person to have as a local representative in the Portarlington area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Hale

HAZEMAN wrote: »
    I don't know who to vote for in the local election.

Without canvassing, can anyone suggest who would be the best person to have as a local representative in the Portarlington area?

They will Barr me for this this but <mod snip> is the way to go

Thanks Hale

I wish there was an good open discussion or debate that would help the electorate decide.
    No surprise if there is a low turnout.
    How can you know who to vote for if all you get is a knock on the door and a "just looking for your support next Friday".
    Before I could ask a question he stuffed pictures of himself into my hand turned and was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Hale wrote: »

<mod snip> isn't standing in the Portarlington area.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Seriously? How deluded are you to recommend a FF crony? Do you have a short term memory loss of what this party did to the country?

I know the councilors didn't have much involvement with the running of the country at a parliament level but they followed the same policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We can't backseat mod but if everyone was as boorish as you and openly defied a Mod, Boards would be an empty forum quite quickly. How fascist, to push your opinions on others, even when told its against the rules. Sounds like the cabal that took over the old Republican Fianna Fáil alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Seriously? How deluded are you to recommend a FF crony? Do you have a short term memory loss of what this party did to the country?

I know the councilors didn't have much involvement with the running of the country at a parliament level but they followed the same policies.

In general I would agree with you to not vote for FF seeing the mess they landed us into but at a local level I think it is down to the people who will and can get things done for the area. In my area, there is one man that seems to be able to get things done for the area and is very helpful compared to others in the same party and from other parties who promised everything and did nothing. The man is a FF councillor.

I think certainly on a national level voting according to political party or non-party (as the case may be) works but at a local level vote for the people who will actually get things done regardless of the ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

hairycakes wrote: »
    In general I would agree with you to not vote for FF seeing the mess they landed us into but at a local level I think it is down to the people who will and can get things done for the area. In my area, there is one man that seems to be able to get things done for the area and is very helpful compared to others in the same party and from other parties who promised everything and did nothing. The man is a FF councillor.

I think certainly on a national level voting according to political party or non-party (as the case may be) works but at a local level vote for the people who will actually get things done regardless of the ties.

But what is essentially the role of a Councillor? Is it spending all their time meeting people to hear their grievances and getting small things done for an area? Or is it to enact policy changes, examine budgets, planning regulations and liaise with county managers & departments?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    We can't backseat mod but if everyone was as boorish as you and openly defied a Mod, Boards would be an empty forum quite quickly. How fascist, to push your opinions on others, even when told its against the rules. Sounds like the cabal that took over the old Republican Fianna Fáil alright.....

"How fascist to push your opinion..."

So who did you vote for Ri Rua?

Do you allow yourself to have an opinion? or would that be 'fascist'?

Do you realize how bland and vacuous your opinion is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Honeygatherer

No one from any party or none can do anything for you or get anything for you that you can't do or get for yourself by phoning or e-mailing or calling in person to the office or service involved. NEVER, ever forget this and you will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

HAZEMAN wrote: »
    "How fascist to push your opinion..."

So who did you vote for Ri Rua?

Do you allow yourself to have an opinion? or would that be 'fascist'?

Do you realize how bland and vacuous your opinion is?

No, I don't ?? Explain it to me, oh wise one. Someone is warned by a MOD not to canvass, then they do again, breaking this community's rules and you are cool with that.... You will do well on Boards.ie.....

It is hardly your business who I voted for? Or relevant here. Unless you also believe you can canvass where you like also? No, society sets rules for that and so does Boards. Do I allow myself an opinion? I've been active in politics (canvassing, leafleting, cash contributions to help win Lisbon I, social media campaigns etc etc) for over 20 years. I doubt you have.

Let's just say there's nothing bland about my opinion or shade of politics. Possibly ideologically scary left views for the likes of you. But I am a fair person and a democrat. I don't boorishly break rules. YOu, on the other hand, for a 2006 registrant, seem to not understand the directions of a MOD. 16 bejewelled contributions in between hibernations. As I say, you'll go far around here...

ps Post 1 (hot tip @Hazeman, its the one that sets the direction of the thread...) and particularly post 3 was a request for help in understanding Proportional Representation. NOT a request for personal recommendations. With your extensive contributions on Boards since 2006, particularly re needing help in 'who' to vote for, I would have thought you would have the whole thing figured out by now.

May I just say that you have a sparkling mind and it has been a pleasure, though brief, to interact with you. Your friends and family are blessed to have your intellect and precision to summon to improve their lives on planet Earth. I wish there were more like you in Port. Thankfully not my town ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread has gone way off-topic.

Closed, unless the local mods wish to reopen in.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement