Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA in Galway

Options
  • 21-05-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everybody, I've just moved to Galway this past month and was looking to take up MMA. I done a bit of karate as a kid but I doubt I'm the new Machida, consider myself a complete beginner, in ok shape, early 20's. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

There are 2 clubs that i know down in that area. Strange Wolves & Point Blank.
    If you google them you should get all the info needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 luceyjuicey

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    There are 2 clubs that i know down in that area. Strange Wolves & Point Blank.
    If you google them you should get all the info needed

I found them alright, I'm just looking for some anecdotal opinions on them, and maybe there might be a third that doesn't do an online presence. Is there one in a kickboxing/thai boxing club somewhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Tim Murphy is the head coach in Point Blank.

He won gold in his division at the No-Gi worlds (purple belt) last year. Which is huge achievement. I believe he is a brown belt now.

He was one of the top MMA guys in Ireland when he competed before the current crop of Irish UFC guys had even started.

He is also a really cool guy and co founded the MMA club in UL which started me training way back when. Really couldn't go wrong there.

I Don't know as much about Strange Wolves, only trained there once or twice about 6 years ago, but they were a very welcoming bunch of guys. I know Kevin Moran there who has been around the sport for years and great coach with a extremely approachable manner.

I am sure you couldn't go wrong as a beginner with either place to be honest. Probably best to check them both out and see which one suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

You can't go wrong with either Point Blank or Strange Wolves.

Tim (PB), Vinnie and Kevin (SW) are all excellent and welcoming.

Try both and see which is the best fit, but as far as I know there's a lot of cross-pollination between the two anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

Thought I'd re-surface this thread just to let people know Strange Wolves is having another intake of MMA beginners on the 29th of this month.
    To the two boys up above with the kind words, cheques are in the post :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

i read there are some in galway city but is there any near the east of galway? (ballinasloe ect.)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

tommybc wrote: »
    i read there are some in galway city but is there any near the east of galway? (ballinasloe ect.)

I think Ben's club does a bit of training in Loughrea: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shaolin-MMA/408968802500890?sk=timeline

Advertisement