Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any "fast" irish trad music?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for names of bands (or albums) who have done fast Irish trad music. The Dubliners have done some fast music, but looking to see what other bands out there who have done such? Would prefer bands who sing (as opposed to those that don't, like Lunasa).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 madracatha

the young wolfe tones have a good lot of fast versions of songs, theyre really good too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

madracatha wrote: »
    the young wolfe tones have a good lot of fast versions of songs, theyre really good too
    Youtube brings up "Derek Warfield & The Young Wolfe Tones", so I'm taking that's the full name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I know this is kind of obvious, but would Thin Lizzy be any good.
    They have one wicked cover of "Whiskey in the Jar".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

the_syco wrote: »
    Youtube brings up "Derek Warfield & The Young Wolfe Tones", so I'm taking that's the full name?

The Wolfe Tones appear to have had some sort of falling out. So, like De Dannann, there have recently been two separate groups using the name. There was a big spat on Joe Duffy sometime last summer I think.

Think of them as the real Wolfe Tones and the continuity Wolfe Tones :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I dare you to sit still when listening to some of the Bothy Bands track !!!

The energy in there is unbelievable... :D

EDIT: There isn't a lot of singing in there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

What was that trad song on the start of "Put 'em under pressure" all those moons ago? Quite fast.

I think the pogues have a good few too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

rebel10 wrote: »
    What was that trad song on the start of "Put 'em under pressure" all those moons ago? Quite fast.

I think the pogues have a good few too
    horslips

the_syco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for names of bands (or albums) who have done fast Irish trad music. The Dubliners have done some fast music, but looking to see what other bands out there who have done such? Would prefer bands who sing (as opposed to those that don't, like Lunasa).

Sorry for going a bit off topic there.

Plenty of possibilities worth a listen I think, depending on exactly what you're after..
    - Bothy Band
    - Dervish
    - Altan
    - Horslips
    - Danu
    - Four Men and a Dog
    - Solas
    - Grada
    - Capercaillie (not Irish but worth a listen. Fast enough)

Hope that helps...

rebel10 wrote: »

Dearg Doom, by the Horslips

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dearg Doom, by the Horslips

The Trad tune used in Dearg Doom is "O'Neills March"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkpp_Zxq4w&playnext_from=TL&videos=hK7H1HaRzoE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry for going a bit off topic there.

Plenty of possibilities worth a listen I think, depending on exactly what you're after..
    - Bothy Band
    - Dervish
    - Altan
    - Horslips
    - Danu
    - Four Men and a Dog
    - Solas
    - Grada
    - Capercaillie (not Irish but worth a listen. Fast enough)

Hope that helps...
    Solas, Dervish, and Grada sound good, as does "Four Men and a Dog". The rest are either too slow, or the slow singing destroys the tempo of the music. I'm replying to this one as opposed to starting a new one, as there's a very good recommendations there that I plan to get back to.

Advertisement