Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wtf? Did I just see that??

• 20-09-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Was out hunting earlier today and the cattle were going nuts looking at something. I thought to myself right that must be fox or deer as I've seen cattle chase them before. But these cattle weren't chasing. They seemed quite distant but high alert. Then out if corner of my eye I spotted movement and out walk 2 BOAR!!! 2 poxy boar??! Wtf
    Now I knew some sightings of boar have been recorded but never in my life thought I'd see them on land I hunted.
    These were definitely boar. Wasn't seeing things. Also met two lads up there who seen them on Thursday also.
    Are these being released by someone? Do I report it or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Was out hunting earlier today and the cattle were going nuts looking at something. I thought to myself right that must be fox or deer as I've seen cattle chase them before. But these cattle weren't chasing. They seemed quite distant but high alert. Then out if corner of my eye I spotted movement and out walk 2 BOAR!!! 2 poxy boar??! Wtf
    Now I knew some sightings of boar have been recorded but never in my life thought I'd see them on land I hunted.
    These were definitely boar. Wasn't seeing things. Also met two lads up there who seen them on Thursday also.
    I know of wild boar been released in West Wicklow. They were quickly shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I come across them now and again in a couple of spots.Tasty out !!
    35arktk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I come across them now and again in a couple of spots.Tasty out !!
    35arktk.jpg

Was that in dublin?
    I live in dublin. I knew they had been reported in Wicklow but not dublin.
    Should I have shot them? Or is there a legal calibre only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Was that in dublin?

If they are actually boar i would not be shooting them with anything less than a .308 they are very tough animals and i wouldnt like to be on the receoving end of an angry boar. A shotgun slug would be the job in that situation but illegal unless you were to have a restricted shotgun licence of which there are few and far between.

Yeah I know they can be aggressive. Seen the video that was posted other day. Ones I seen weren't as big. Seemed quite small but then again I've never seen wild boar before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Red kites, buzzards and whietailed eagles have been re-introduced so why not wild boar? From a farming point of view they do serious damage to a crop of maize I am told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Red kites, buzzards and whietailed eagles have been re-introduced so why not wild boar? From a farming point of view they do serious damage to a crop of maize I am told.

Red Kite, White-tailed Eagles, Golden were re-introduced into Ireland via IUCN guidelines. The birds introduced are of the nearest breeding stock that previously inhabited Ireland. The Illegal releases of wild boar are of animals of questionable genetics? Are they pure wild boar or boar/domestic pig hybrids? Buzzards were not re-introduced into Ireland.

Was that in dublin?

No lad that pic is from the midlands in fields bordering a bit of forestry where the are .They are big animals up close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

Ya theres a good few of them down here in clare there was 24 captured last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Probably just escapes from lads keeping free range old breed pigs. Increasing numbers of small holders and farmers are doing it for extra incomes as the meat can be sold at a good premium over beef/lamb etc. Some folks now seling it over the internet. Know one lad who's doing it up in Kibride in about 20 acres of forestry. He secures the site with electric fencing but accidents can happen as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Quite possibly were wild boar as opposed to escaped farmed animals. I know one gentleman who has shot boar in the wicklow mtns, so they quite easily could be spreading towards the dublin side.

Incidentally i was just talking to a fella about boar in the last few hours, he was saying they can be quite aggressive so be careful near them. Also i was informed (dunno how true this is) that a female could produce up to 12 young a year. Surely that should lead to more sightings/damage around farms?

Just did a google search 'wild boar in ireland' and got some results which i remember being discussed on this forum before. Also a map of ireland with confirmed sightings on it, as of 2012. Plenty of sightings around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Do I report it or anything?

1) Shoot them.

2) Call friends in.

3) Have them shoot them too.
    Do I report it or anything?

Shoot them now before their numbers explode. The damage they'll do to farms, fauna, and flora will be costly.

FISMA wrote: »
    1) Shoot them.

2) Call friends in.

4) have a bbq

FISMA wrote: »
    1) Shoot them.

2) Call friends in.

Shoot them now before their numbers explode. The damage they'll do to farms, fauna, and flora will be costly.

I've only the shotgun mate. Would buck shot do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Did you take a Photo on your phone, even **** phones have cameras and if they were causing that much grief for the cattle you should have had plenty of time to get a photo.

Did you take a Photo on your phone, even **** phones have cameras and if they were causing that much grief for the cattle you should have had plenty of time to get a photo.

These didn't hang around when they seen me. They ran and I ran towards them with gun in one hand and trying to get my phone out in the other and they went into the gorse then and couldn't see them after that. I'm heading up there in a while with heavier shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

These didn't hang around when they seen me. They ran and I ran towards them with gun in one hand and trying to get my phone out in the other and they went into the gorse then and couldn't see them after that. I'm heading up there in a while with heavier shot
    Running with a shotgun in one hand trying to rumage for a phone in the other , not very safe is it. :rolleyes:
    Why would you chase any animal that you want to shoot ,would it not have been more clever to let them go off and sit up and wait for them to re amerge .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Big Buck

I wouldn't attempt to use a shotgun, no way!! I've shot them with 300win mag and watched them run 100 yards!

Big Buck wrote: »
    I wouldn't attempt to use a shotgun, no way!! I've shot them with 300win mag and watched them run 100 yards!

Their hide fairly thick is it. I know fcuk all bout them other than they're dangerous ba5tards and good eatin.
    Would buck shot at close range not drop em? I'm only back from been out looking again and didn't see them. I went up with bb's

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Big Buck

Is there no-one near you with a rifle for deer? I'd say minimum .270

At the moment they are not that dangerous, but if you wound one of them and it runs, then you've a dangerous job ahead of you!!

• Advertisement

Big Buck wrote: »
    Is there no-one near you with a rifle for deer? I'd say minimum .270

At the moment they are not that dangerous, but if you wound one of them and it runs, then you've a dangerous job ahead of you!!

One or two lads but it's a matter of them getting the time to go up.
    Always carry the big Winchester knife with me. I will be up every day after work to try get em. Have me head melted over it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I would have reservations about shooting them with BB's, though I know SFA about them, except what's on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What are you hunting this day of the year?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What are you hunting this day of the year?

Rabbits and foxes. Usually I'd head out at about 4ish because it gets dark at half 7 now so between 4-6 is rabbits and then I'd walk around or sit and call for a fox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Their hide fairly thick is it. I know fcuk all bout them other than they're dangerous ba5tards and good eatin.
    Would buck shot at close range not drop em? I'm only back from been out looking again and didn't see them. I went up with bb's

00 Buck,and nothing else will do it at a pinch,but it has to be within 20 30 meters max.
    If it is an adult I'd advise aiming behind the head and shoulders as that is remarkably tough and muscular,and a pump or semi with an extra round is advisable.
    If you do drop one make sure you are reloaded before approaching from the rear ,and make sure it is dead as you might get as surprise if one gets up and attacks you that you thought was 100 % "dead".You are dealing with a dangerous game animal that can maim or kill you no problem even when mortally injured.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Where did you see em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Maudi wrote: »
    Where did you see em?

County Dublin is a close enough description you would think...

I would have said Leinster myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're going to have a go with a shotgun use the heaviest load with the biggest pellet you can get your hands on.

If you have a reliable semi or pump that's the job because the extra round can come in handy.

If I were you I'd go for a broadside shot if it at all possible as I reckon you have a far better chance at immediately incapacitating the pig compared to head or shoulders. The head is a massive slab of bone and the shoulders are a very tough bunch of muscles so I reckon the flank is the way to go.

Worth noting is that they're quite nocturnal and it's fine to lamp them as they're an invasive pest and not a game animal in an Irish context. Set up a feeding spot, bait it with the likes of cattle crunch, spuds, barley or whatever else tasty a pig will eat and pick them of.

As for formalities relating to the sighting I reckon NPWS would like to be aware and tell them you're getting sorted to eradicate them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

If you see a female with youngs don't kill her. Go for the youngs otherwise if you kill the mother you are certain to get problems from her litter ( damage, etc ) When you kill a mother, her piglets will wander around and lack the necessary education to feed, etc ... they will then try to get food from human source ( easy fetch ) and therefore get in contact with humans which will cause problems. Even If you want to cull for destruction don't do it. It's ok to kill a lone Female.

If you shoot from stalking or a high stand then you can use your usual Deer caliber as you can aim at the vital zones. In France, from the high stand you can use .243 . Your target is not moving you can aim accurately. That's if you shoot on a driven shoot that it is important to use big stopping power calibres such as 300WM.

If you want to use BBs be aware if their ricochet ability in your environment .... and if you want to use slugs, try them on a target with your gun before as your barrel is not particulary made for it and you might certainly not have a 100% straight shoot. Some guns have a good few centimers off target with slugs ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

God be with the days when you could go into your local gun shop and buy Gamebore "Special Game", which was a load for Boar and foxes. 8 large (8mm, I think) balls in each shell.

Thanks tor the useful info lads.
    I may give the baiting the area a try. Few slips and cattle feed and feed area for week and go up.
    Be some Craic if I do drop one. Few chops out of them I'd say are delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

These are serious animanls not to be messed with, try the theory one shot one kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

fabwing wrote: »
    These are serious animanls not to be messed with, try the theory one shot one kill

If you have a pump, I'd be taking out the plug.......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

fabwing wrote: »

+1 on that. One shot or have a tree beside you to climb up!! Better still, be up high before shooting.

Jaysus lads, they're a robust animal that will stand it's ground but they're not exactly rhino's or African buffalo either. Give em a good wallop in the flank with the likes of 42g BB or similar from about 20/30 yards and maybe a follow up shot and the only worry you'll have is how to carry it to the car.....

• Advertisement

Was up again but for only twenty mins because I had t collect me little one.
    Gonna dedicate a long evening up there on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

IMAG0885_zps39c69ea6.jpg
    This is what I was packing on the last boar drive I was on - 9.3x74r

Previously we used 7mm and 300WM. Both where equally effective if placed right, but if you didn't break bone or hit vitals even the little boys will run.

IMAG0885_zps39c69ea6.jpg
    This is what I was packing on the last boar drive I was on.

Previously we used 7mm and 300WM. Both where equally effective if placed right, but if you didn't break bone or hit vitals even the little boys will run.

Holy shiit

Serious German hog hunters ,[and there are plenty of them nowadays as wild boar are getting to pest porportions over there now], would also suggest a very decent large knife as well.Somthing in the 12 inch plus blade for dispatch[Surplus ww1 bayonets are good tools for this] and or a handgun in or above 38 special.
    Seeing due to our enlightned gun laws the handgun option is a non starter here,you might have to rely on a "pig sticker" if it gets up close and personal s your long barrelled shotgun isnt going to be helpful in dense brush if you have to dispatch one.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Be interested to know something..... I live out on Poland where boars are aplenty. Never shot one, but have mates here that hunt from time to time.

Over here when they kill a boar they need to bring the body to a vet and make sure it's not carrying viruses like rabies, TB etc before it can be butchered and cooked.

What's the procedure in Ireland?
    As an invasive species what's the likelihood of them carrying diseases found in their European cousins?

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Serious German hog hunters ,[and there are plenty of them nowadays as wild boar are getting to pest porportions over there now], would also suggest a very decent large knife as well.Somthing in the 12 inch plus blade for dispatch[Surplus ww1 bayonets are good tools for this] and or a handgun in or above 38 special.
    Seeing due to our enlightned gun laws the handgun option is a non starter here,you might have to rely on a "pig sticker" if it gets up close and personal s your long barrelled shotgun isnt going to be helpful in dense brush if you have to dispatch one.

Don't worry Grizzly, there's a cheap MP5 going in Kerry. Contact the local independent TD for further enquiries. :)

All messing aside, an acquaintance of the old man who done a lot of boar hunting in the German/Belgian border area religiously stuck to the following set up : 8x57 over and under rifle with battue sights and a very compact Remington pump full up with the Italian Mirage flat nose slugs when close follow ups were required. Seen him dispatch on or two in the middle of a mêlée of boar and terriers and to say the least it was amazing to twelve year old eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Shoot them

Be interested to know something..... I live out on Poland where boars are aplenty. Never shot one, but have mates here that hunt from time to time.

Over here when they kill a boar they need to bring the body to a vet and make sure it's not carrying viruses like rabies, TB etc before it can be butchered and cooked.

What's the procedure in Ireland?
    As an invasive species what's the likelihood of them carrying diseases found in their European cousins?

When it's for personal use the answer consists of one word : nothing. There are no procedures in place for non commercial game processing and wether they carry any diseases and what their origins are is anyone's guess. They could be farm escapees or released exotic pets or purposely released by some eejit as "game". I'd hazard a guess that they're Irish bred in captivity and somehow made their way into the wild for the simple reason that it's not that simple an animal to transport across at least one sea.

Having said that, it's not impossible either to stick a few young stripey ones in the booth of a car in northern France and bring them across but the equipment that sniffs out illegal immigrants in cars and lorries will pick up a sizeable animal just as easy so that option is somewhat less likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

They are great animals from a bio-diversity point of view
    keep the countryside healthy
    They have a good effect on distribution of plant life on the forest floor due their rooting. but alas we have the wild living space for them to co exist with modern farming which in most of the country we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

When it's for personal use the answer consists of one word : nothing. There are no procedures in place for non commercial game processing and wether they carry any diseases and what their origins are is anyone's guess. They could be farm escapees or released exotic pets or purposely released by some eejit as "game". I'd hazard a guess that they're Irish bred in captivity and somehow made their way into the wild for the simple reason that it's not that simple an animal to transport across at least one sea.

Having said that, it's not impossible either to stick a few young stripey ones in the booth of a car in northern France and bring them across but the equipment that sniffs out illegal immigrants in cars and lorries will pick up a sizeable animal just as easy so that option is somewhat less likely.

Boars have swam from France to England

And if all that hardware dont work for these pot bellied mo fos...call john rambo.

And if all that hardware dont work for these pot bellied mo fos...call john rambo.

They are great animals from a bio-diversity point of view
    keep the countryside healthy
    They have a good effect on distribution of plant life on the forest floor due their rooting. but alas we have the wild living space for them to co exist with modern farming which in most of the country we don't.

It's common knowledge that pigs of any kind are brilliant to keep a forest floor open and let light reach it giving other plant life than briars and ferns a go at developing alright. They're also brilliant for turning the soil and accelerating the decomposition of material on the forest floor accelerating and improving the release of nutrients enriching the soil.

The downside of course is that they don't know where the woodland stops and the farm begins when it comes to rooting around and unfortunately the stuff in the farm soil often appears a good bit tastier and easier to get at than the forest offerings.

Plus we are short of one other component for WB here in Ireland.Oak forests!
    they provide the mainstay of the WB staple food supply,or did,that being acorns.
    As for them being checked for consumption in Europe its for;
    Swine fever,trichinosis,rabies, internal parasites,a type of hepatitis that is generally harmless to humans but is reportable,and residual radiation from the Cherynobyl incident.

Here in Ireland nowt.

So I havint seen these lads since but numerous conversations with other people have told me they are definitely still about. The other half mate lives up in that area and today he posted a pic on Instagram of two of them digging up his garden.
    So they are most definitely about

• Advertisement
Advertisement