Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone knows of Eircom new broadband offer in March?

Options
  • 04-02-2004 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi
    Has anybody heard about this new broadband offer for 1st March?
    All I know is that it is supposed to be cheaper and that existing Eircom BB customers will be able to shift without paying.
    But I don't know what kind of service they offer, how fast it is going to be, if there will be a small 4Gb download cap like there is now.
    I rang eircom to know more, but the woman I talked to hardly knew about it.
    Typical eircom...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think there were hints in the direction that it'll be a 256k product with some form of cap, knowing eircom probably less than 4gb.

But then again I could be completely wrong ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

didn't want to start a new thread, but I've heard eircom are launching a wireless wi-fi broadband product. Any info on this ppl?

Seen an add in the paper saying they already have Croke Park as one of their biggest wi-fi broadband customers. Funny that, cause I work in IT in Croke Park and we have the enhanced Dsl product, not wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by tonybrasco
    But I don't know what kind of service they offer,
    Neither does anyone else, because nothing has been announced yet. There have been various rumours posted over in the Broadband forum but there's nothing definitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ando
    didn't want to start a new thread, but I've heard eircom are launching a wireless wi-fi broadband product. Any info on this ppl?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139293

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

No new products in the pricelist Here so if they are thinking of introducing one they better publish it by next Monday as they must give 21 days warning.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

21 days? That should give us enough time to get our ASAI and comreg complaints ready and to prepare our letters to the journalists who cut and paste the promotional material material and call it news etc for....you know.... when the ads start appearing "Eircom slashes the cost of broadband to €35!! etc etc "Eh no lads. Ye slashed the speed in half but are charging more than half the price" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Random eircom lady called to my house two nights ago, had ordered bb from them a week previous.

she said that the cap was going up to 8gb next month with the lowering of prices. she also said that they plan to introduce a low-grade, cheaper bb service "like they have in england":dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

For what it's worth, I know that Eircom are going to launch 250 WiFi hotspots, and have heard that they're going to be re-vamping the DSL offering AND are going to be reselling someone's VSAT (Satellite).

Who is that VSAT operator? Anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I heard that too. The VSAT will enable them to say they have 100% BB coverage in Ireland although few will go for it.

Originally posted by zenith
    Who is that VSAT operator? Anybody know?

I heard something (a long while back) like a one way vsat off a transponder on Astra 28E or Eurobird 1

To pick this up requires a new LNB (the nose of the twig) on an existing Sky Dish and a second cable from the dish to the PC. It will use FRIACO as its uplink path, I heard no pricing on the bundle as it may require a new dish and twin LNB ....the minidish may be too small.

One way sat and ISDN is cheaper and often just as good as 2way sat. The dishes are more tolerant of being knocked slightly out of whack on the downlink, if the alignment is less than perfect the uplink goes very quickly.

If anyone knows anybody in Sierra they would probably tell you.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I heard that too. The VSAT will enable them to say they have 100% BB coverage in Ireland although few will go for it.
    They'd never be that thick would they?

Yes they would "Try" it.

BT tried to peddle 2 way VSAT as a úniversal' service 2 years back, the announcement and further details are Here

This BT universal service has attracted fairly scathing comments such as These . Digiweb sell the same 2 way service in Ireland BTW.

M

Advertisement