Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on what laptop to buy?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

i'm lookin to get a laptop mainly for college but getting a decent one that will last a few years. so budget 800-900 depending on whats best value.
    average size not looking for compact or too large, around 15 inch i guess
    was lookin at the dell vostro 1510 but open to any suggestions
    just want something fast, needs graphics card for cad (i think). basically a good laptop but i dont know what makes it good really

cheers al (or anyone else who replies)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Howdy there friend.
    I know you've been looking at the Dells, but just to mix things up a bit, check some of these out.
    Samsung R560
    Samsung Q310
    The first has a 15.4" screen, core 2 duo 2GHZ, 4Gb RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS graphics, with 250Gb Hard Drive.
    The second has a 13.3" screen so it'd be easier to carry around, but not too small to be uncomfortable. Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor (2.26GHz), 320Gb HD, 4Gb RAM, with NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS graphics.
    Now i know the above means very little to you, but spec wise, asides from graphics, the latter is better, better processor, larger HD, and it's smaller, which may or may not be a plus.
    I've heard good things about the samsungs on here, and they are better value for the money than the vostros are these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

acer 5930g if you can find it, harvey norman usualy stocks it for around 900. It has a Centrino 2 dual core 2gighz, 3 gigs of memory and an all important geforce 9600m GT. The r560 mentioned above looks a good option too, but the Gt trumps the GS just that bit. Dells lineup is very dusty at this point, Im sure they are going to have refesh soon.

Advertisement