Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FreeSat Upgrade

Options
  • 11-07-2005 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I've searched but not found a thread with the information I require.

I'm just about to get a new Sky Digital subscription for my house. I also would like to get ITV and Ch4 since I don't have an analogue aerial (bad reception in area). On the Sky FreeSat page in the UK it says you can upgrade the FreeSat card to a subscription whilst keeping the FreeSat channels.

Is this possible in Ireland, i.e. Could I buy a FreeSat card (through a friend in UK) and activate it. Then call Sky Ireland and ask for a subscription on my "current digicard"? Could I just give them the number/serial of the card to activate the subscription for?
    (Or even say I have moved from UK and want to keep my card or something?)

I hope someone knows what I am talking about!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Heinz

No.

FTV cards are available to UK residents only. If you do as you say and give an Irish address, Sky will kill that card and send you one for your Irish subscription.

Get the £20 card as you suggest and get your UK friend to activate it in his digibox - it'll then work in any digibox so he can then send it to you.

You will have to 'hot swop' cards to view ITV1, Channel 4 and five but at least you'll have access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Bugger, I was afraid of that.
    Would it be possible to connect two Sky boxes to one TV, so I wouln't have to 'hot swap'?

WizZard wrote:
    Bugger, I was afraid of that.
    Would it be possible to connect two Sky boxes to one TV, so I wouln't have to 'hot swap'?

Yup.
    You could also use it in another room with another TV and get a digisender which would send the channels from that room wirelessly to your main tv.

EG:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't know if this helps but when I was moving house my sky box was packed unused for a weeks. When I did eventually set it up BBC1/2 London was available on channel 101/102. Before I realised the potential I stuck in my Irish Sky card and rebooted. Within minutes it was RTE1 etc. I wonder what would have happened had I not put the card in?

Advertisement