Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 38: Spanish Chorizo & Prawn Lentil Stew

Options
  • 27-09-2014 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

This is a "one pot" recipe, which I like to make on a day where I'm not rushing to finish dinner, and can leave it a while at a lower temperature to merge and meld the flavours.

Ingredients (4 Servings)

A Chorizo
    500g Prawns
    250g Lentils
    Onion, chopped
    3-4 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    half a red and half a yellow pepper
    Tablespoon of Harissa Paste*
    Tin of Tomatoes
    1 litre Chicken stock

IMG_20140927_101956.jpg

Slice the whole Chorizo into about 1cm slices, add to a pot and fry off on a low heat, get all that lovely tasty oil out of them, but don't let it sizzle away, about ten mins on a low heat should do it.

Meanwhile, get your onion, garlic and pepper chopped, when the chorizo is ready tip them in and go up from low to medium heat for ten minutes, to soften the onion and pepper.

Now add the Harissa Paste* (if you don't have Harissa, use The Hill Billy's alternative 2 tsp Chilli Powder, 2 tsp Ground Cumin, 2tsp Olive oil), I use a tablespoon, but use more if you like. Stir and cook for another few minutes.

IMG_20140927_111256.jpg

Add the tomatoes, stock and lentils. I used a half and half mix of red and green lentils, because I love the earthy almost meaty flavour of green/puy lentils, but feel free to use all red.

Bring to the boil, then simmer on low for at least an hour.

IMG_20140927_112455.jpg

Some people like it more liquidy than others, and once the lentils are cooked and soft, then it's up to yourself when to remove from the heat.

Before you do, throw in the prawns and cook, covered, for five minutes.

IMG_20140927_120148.jpg

When it's ready, serve it in bowls with plenty of crusty bread.

2014%2B-%2B1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I like the sound of this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks lovely, just the thing for a cold evening. I don't eat prawns so I'll make this with chicken instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

That looks really tasty, good one to make on a Sunday evening for during-the-week dinners.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm all OVER this!!!! Gonna make it during the week. Thanks pal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Bought the ingredients for this today, will make it during the week and report back :) bought the thin chorizo slices in Tesco rather than the sausage because I love the flavour of chorizo but hate the texture of thick chunks. The thin slices of very crispy so hopefully that'll add an interesting crunch too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is right up my street! One of my favourite winter dishes is chicken, chorizo and chickpea stew but definitely going to try this as an alternative. Great for bringing into work for lunch as well. Cheers OP, looking forward to giving it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

This is a so me dish. Gonna see if I can persuade the mammy to try it, if not MOAR FOR MEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Made this last week without the prawns. Substituted paprika for half the chilli powder in the harissa paste and it was great.

Made this tonight for tomorrow's dinner, looking forward to it!

Quite tasty - though I realise now I'm not a big fan of lentils! But ignoring me, there's a lot of flavour in this. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Beautiful. And so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I subbed prawns for sausages, very winter warming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Definitely going to try this one, you want to make sure you're not re-heating prawns days after it's originally being cooked though!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Such an excellent and delicious recipe, has become an absolute staple for me, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

I'm trying to think of how to make this for a vegetarian, as I'm not living with one and have to adapt meals to suit. I generally used to make it with chorizo and sausage instead of prawns but I don't know if just adding more vegetables will help replace the substance of the meat. Also, would a veg stock cube be an ok replacement for the chicken one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does the veggie in your life eat Quorn?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't think I'd be getting to eat this over Christmas. Kids loved it, just as well there's enough for tomorrow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Made this, very nice. Used more prawns, as the amount would only have been four or so of those huge ones from Lidl. I'll make it again, but will perhaps use a fair bit less chorizo, and chopped smaller. Thanks for the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Haha as it goes I made this tonight as well, had forgotten how good it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Is there a veggie equivalent of chorizo? I'd like to try a veggie version.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Quorn have a do a pepperoni slices which work and there is an irish company who do meatfree chorizio. you can get it in Tesco

But tbh when i dont i usually just had lots of paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this over the weekend
    It was delicious - the whole family devoured it

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Has instantly become one of my freezer batch cook go to's ,swap out the prawns for chicken.so good with proper crusty bread and butter

This looks great. Would it be dodgy to keep for a 2-3 days if you used prawns?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Surprised nobody's been along to remind us that "no food safety advice is allowed".

Me? Don't serve me 3 day cooked prawns, or I'll make a mess on your lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Cooked last night for lunch today, I've left out the prawns for the moment. Not sure how well they'd last over a few days or in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Made this yesterday, delicious and really easy apart from trying to get the damn paper off the chorizo anybody got any tips for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Made this yesterday, delicious and really easy apart from trying to get the damn paper off the chorizo anybody got any tips for that

Best to take the paper stuff off as big a piece as possible, the whole chorizo is actually the easiest. The worst thing you can do is chop fully and then try to get it of individual pieces; is a bit like trying to peel orange segments instead of the whole orange.
    Put a cut the length of the chorizo, but not all the way through, peel from there and it comes of like a weird skin

You're meant to peel chorizo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're meant to peel chorizo?

You don't have to, but I do so the slices don't warp and get crisp all over when I fry them :)

Advertisement