Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish song from South Tipp/Waterford

Options
  • 01-08-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

A year or two ago while on RTE Player, I watched a documentary in their 'Classics 1960s' section, in black and white about old songs from former generations. One was from as the presenter described it, the foothills of Slievenamon in the 'land of the Déise'.

Before you say anything, it's not 'and I never will forget, the fair maiden I met' Slievenamon, this is a different one, the tune of which I still have in my head and a few lines. To the best of my memory it concerned times of rebellion against the British (probably 1798 era) and talked about 'when days of peace, reign on Slievenamon'.

Would be forever grateful if someone knew what I was talking about, I definitely didn't imagine it! And I also remember a note at the bottom of the video saying it was only available until such a date which has long since passed. Google has yielded nothing, hope it rings a few bells somewhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Slievenamon in the land of the Déise ?? Never! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Could it possibly be this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-f3JSJtYA

He sings it beautifully;

it is indeed about a massacre of rebels, the notes under the video mention 1798.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

Perhaps it's Port Lairge by the Clancy Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Is this the programme? It was shown on Rte news now during the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

What a fantastic film.

I haven't watched it all yet, but it's nice to see that the thatched cottage is still at the Nire bridge (from 0:49 seconds) although the bridge itself has been tastefully modernized since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

What a pleasure to stumble across this video. Wonderful. Strong memories of Slievenamon as a child and living in South Tipp and much of county Waterford. Delightful.

Advertisement