Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 42: Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter Choc Chip Cookies + Rock Salt

Options
  • 12-10-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

These are a little more work than your average Chocolate Chip Cookie, but I promise you, they aren't your average Choc Chip Cookie :D

Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Rock Salt.

The obligatory ingredients photo:
    c6cdd814-4a3c-4470-98d3-ac11ac916e5d_zps3dd55a7a.jpg

Ingredients
    2 1/4 cups of Plain Flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons of Baking Soda
    1/4 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 pound of UNSALTED butter
    1 1/4 cups of packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup of castor sugar
    1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
    1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract / essence
    1 tablespoon of plain greek yoghurt
    1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
    1 1/4 cups of milk chocolate chips
    1 200gr jar of nutella, chilled in the fridge.
    Rock salt for sprinkling

1. Brown Butter
    If you know how to brown butter, go ahead and do so now, then set aside to cool slightly. If not, read below:
    - slice butter so it melts faster and more evenly and place into a saucepan over a medium heat. Once the butter begins to melt, start swirling the saucepan around or start whisking to promote melting.
    - Begin to whisk the butter - you'll want to whisk it constantly.
    - You'll start to notice bubbles and the bubbles will become bigger - keep whisking!
    - The butter will start to foam again and the bubbles will become smaller - keep whisking!
    - You should start to smell a nutty aroma. The milk solids at the bottom of the pan will begin to darken and turn a light caramel colour. Once this happens, turn off the heat and continue to whisk a little. If you're not sure if your butter is browned, you can tip it into a clear bowl to check and then put it back on the heat (remember to keep whisking!). It won't hurt it - I think I did this about 5 times the first time I made brown butter :o
    - Once the butter is browned it should be poured into a bowl immediately to prevent burning.

My brown butter:
    DSCN2720_zps167674d2.jpg

2. While your butter is cooling, sieve the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
    3. In an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugars until throughly mixed.
    4. Beat in the egg, extra yolk, vanilla and yoghurt until combined.
    5. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on a low speed until just combined. You can do it by hand but it's easier with an electric mixer.
    6. Gently fold in all the chocolate chips.
    7. Cover the dough and put the mixture in the fridge for 2hrs to chill.

8. Take mixture and nutella out of the fridge.
    9. Preheat oven to 170C fan forced.
    10. Take approx a heaped dessert spoon full of mixture, roll it into a ball and then put on a lightly floured surface. Using the palm of your hand, squash it flat.

DSCN2721_zps81614d5f.jpg

11. Place approx 1/2tsp of nutella in the centre of the flat dough and then fold the dough up around the nutella and shape back into a ball. Make sure the nutella is fully covered - if it's poking through just add a little dough to that spot.

DSCN2722_zps49e1f12b.jpg

12. Place on a baking tray and squash down lightly.
    13. Continue making up the cookies, placing them about 2inches apart on the tray.
    14. Bake in the oven for approx 9mins, until the edges of the cookie are golden. They'll continue to cook a little bit once removed from the oven.
    15. I like to give mine a gentle extra squash after they come out of the oven :o
    15. Sprinkle with rock salt and remove from tray to a cooling rack.

DSCN2724_zpsd087932f.jpg

17. EAT! They are delicious warm or cold.

I made 26 today and that used pretty much the whole jar of nutella.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That first photo's gonna lead to trouble. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bloody drooling here.......

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh these sound amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This was a gastrotorture - the entry was closely guarded and teasing from mods didn't help either.
    Then I got the ingredients and started making the brown butter - oh my the aroma.
    Then I made the dough, it's been awhile since I smelled anything this sweetly intoxicating.
    Chill for 2 hours?!! Aaaargh I want it now!
    Anyway, after chewing my arm a couple of hours later, here's the result:

IMG_20141028_121037_zpsymj595k_edit_1414498303174_zps2viosjjv.jpg

Just what you'd expect, gooey nutella oozing out as you take each bite, chocolate chips and every corner of your gob, finished with a hint of salt. Perfect.
    Thank you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

LOL glad you enjoyed making them Mrs Fox :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made these... uh, recently... and they're delicious! I had a couple of small issues due to locality. The "All Purpose" flour you get here in Canada has a really high protein content, which I didn't realise until afterwards, so they were unfortunately quite bready due to that. It also made the dough harder to work with, in terms of filling them with Nutella. I think there was too many chocolate chips for my preference, so I'll cut down on those the next time.

I'm definitely going to make them again with better flour! I'm 100% sure that a lower protein content will make them perfect. Thanks mel.b!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That's interesting to know about the flour. The batch I made for the post I took to work and one of the ladies there, her husband is a baker and she said he would never put that much chocolate in so you're not the only one who thought there's a bit too much! They are rich and that's why the salt is perfect on top, however they would be just as yummy with less chocolate chips :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My feelings on the chocolate chips were two-fold: 1. I was using crappy Hershey's chocolate. If I'd been at home and using Galaxy, or using a good quality chocolate, I'm sure it would have been fine! And 2. They kept falling out of the dough when I was shaping and filling the cookies, but again, I think that had more to do with the flour.

I really love the addition of the salt on top to cut through the richness :)

I shall report back when I've made them with a few ingredient adjustments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

mel.b wrote: »
    The batch I made for the post I took to work and one of the ladies there, her husband is a baker and she said he would never put that much chocolate in so you're not the only one who thought there's a bit too much!

I must add that I had to reduce the amount of chocolate chips used, simply because each bag only contained 3/4 cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made these at the weekend as dessert for dinner at a friend's and they went down a storm. Really good cookies, worth the extra effort and time. I don't think i'd make them on a whim because they did take a while, and I made them gluten free which altered the consistency a bit, so will try them with normal flour next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Made these at the weekend as dessert for dinner at a friend's and they went down a storm. Really good cookies, worth the extra effort and time. I don't think i'd make them on a whim because they did take a while, and I made them gluten free which altered the consistency a bit, so will try them with normal flour next time.

I fancy trying these gluten free. Any chance of your gluten free recipe please? Which flour, and did you use Xanthan Gum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Sorry, just saw your post now. Not much of a recipe to give! I used Dove's flour blend, and subbed in directly, same quantity, and used xanthan gum. Have found that's the only way to get a decent consistency in gf baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

No pictures of these? I like to see! :(

Advertisement