Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking Club Week 13: Chocolate con Churros

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

154117.jpg

Hola! Some Spanish health food for the Cooking Club! Rich, thick hot chocolate accompanied by churros (a sort of doughnut).

I've been making this style of hot chocolate for a few years but I've only tried my hand and Churros since signing up to the Cooking Club. It's hard to equal what you would get in a Spanish café but I said I'd include a churros recipe since it's nice to have something to dip in the chocolate if you are serving it as a dessert.

Pics:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

There are a different recipes for Spanish-style hot chocolate, some use cornflour as a thickener others use cream. This one involves boiling and whisking a mixture until it comes to a sauce-like consistency. The method is quite like that for making Turkish coffee. It's a cool little ceremony.

Ingredients:

35g 100% Chocolate OR 50g of 70% Chocolate* (5 squares of Lindt 70%)
    320g /ml Whole Milk
    Sugar is to taste but at least 4 tsp for the 100% chocolate and at least 1.5 tsp if using 70% chocolate

Saucepan that is no more than 1/3 full when all the ingredients are placed in it (the mixture needs room to foam up).
    Whisk
    Small cups such as cappucino cups for serving
    Thermos / flask for keeping warm if making Churros

Method:

Grate or chop the required amount of chocolate. Place chocolate, milk, and sugar in the saucepan and mix. Over a low heat gently stir the mixture with the whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the chocolate has melted into the milk.

Once all the chocolate has melted stop stirring and turn the heat up to medium-high. The mixture will heat up to a boil and then foam up. Let it foam almost to the top of the pan and then remove from heat and whisk vigourously for about half a minute until the liquid is back to it's original level.

Return pan to the heat and repeat the process. Keep doing this until the liquid no longer foams up enough to climb the wall of the saucepan. Stop when a sauce-like consistency is obtained. Test by dipping a teaspoon in the liquid to see if it coats the back of the spoon. It typically takes 3-4 boils to achieve the right consistency, but this will vary with the width of the pan.

Once thickened tilt pan and whisk so as to incorporate some air into the hot chocolate. Check sweetness, adding more sugar if desired. Pour into cups and serve or else pour into thermos if preparing Churros.
    *Have found some own-brand dark chocolate containing cocoa powder as an ingredient not to work for this recipe.

Ingredients:

125g / 1 cup Plain Flour
    250ml Water (same volume as flour)
    1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    1/8 tsp Salt (a genourous pinch)
    1 tsp Sugar
    3tsp Light Olive Oil (or any mild oil)

1-2 litres of oil for frying
    Pastry bag with star tip

Method:

Combine dry ingredients and sift into mixing bowl. Put water and Olive oil in a pan and bring to a boil.

Pour the boiling water onto flour and stir. Mix dough until smooth. The dough will be slightly sticky.

Place dough in pastry bag. Heat up oil for frying. Lightly oil a dish and squeeze lines of the dough onto it. Test that the oil is ready placing small piece of dough into the oil. When the oil is hot enough to cook with the dough will float and brown quickly.

Place the strips of dough into the oil to fry. Allow to brown on one side and then turn. Remove when crispy and drain on paper towel. Fry the Churros in batches doing only a few at a time. Dust with caster sugar and serve with hot chocolate.

Note: Be very careful with the oil, don't make churros very thick as they can pop and spatter hot oil. I use two butter knives to place the strips of dough into the hot oil gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Hola! Some Spanish health food for the Cooking Club!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I just made these for lunch tomorrow and sampled one or two of them. They're fabulous and I can only recommend them to anyone thinking of making them!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9619

Yay! Thanks for trying it out Little Alex! Your churros are more photogenic than mine :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Yay! Thanks for trying it out Little Alex! Your churros are more photogenic than mine :p

No worries! Thanks for posting the recipe!

When I read through the description I thought that the dough would be a lumpy, claggy disaster that would take an eternity of stirring to get it smooth. I was pleasantly shocked at how instantly it came together and how little work it actually was! :)

Your photos look pretty darned good too!

---

Eat them straight after making them!

While they are still good the next day, they will have lost the crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I was a bit sceptical with the 'chocolate milk', but the boiling and whisking method produced avelvety chocolate sauce. These are so easy to make. Thanks OP. Enjoyed the churros very much.

Advertisement