Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 26: Tea Smoked Duck

Options
  • 03-07-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

This is a recipe for a version of Zhangcha Duck, or tea smoked duck, a popular banquet dish in the Szechuan province of China. The smoking technique used here is hot smoking. It’s not difficult, and it does impart an interesting flavour, and once you’ve tried it once you’ll keep having a go. The most important thing is not to burn the arse out of your wok, and not set your smoke alarms off, but hopefully you’ll do neither.

You can use smoking to impart flavour to any meat – I’m using duck here, but you can do this with chicken breasts if duck breasts are obscenely expensive or too hard to source. Use them skin on, bone out, and leave out the dry spice marinade because it’ll be too strong a flavour for chicken.

The other thing to note here is that hot smoking doesn’t give you crispy skin. If you want crispy skin on your duck breasts, you need to fry them, skin side down, to get the effect. You can do the crisping bit before or after the smoking, but if you want a lot of the fat to render off the duck breasts, I would advise you not to apply the spice marinade to the skin, smoke first, and finish the breasts skin side down on a hot pan until the skin is as crispy as you want it.

There is some marinating time on this dish, but the cooking time is relatively short so it can be a weeknight dinner if you get organised and start the wet marinade that morning.

Ingredients:

1Ingredients.jpg

Two duck breasts

Wet Marinade

2 tablespoons rice wine, or dry sherry if you can’t find rice wine
    1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    About ½ tablespoon ginger, grated and pummelled to a paste

Dry spice marinade

2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
    1 tablespoon sea salt

Smoking Mix

20g of tea leaves - you can use green tea leaves, jasmine tea leaves, for this I’ve used a strong black tea blend that includes Assam, Ceylon and Darjeeling – it needs to be tea, it needs to be leaves, and you won’t get the same effect cutting open teabags and decanting the dust that passes for tea out of them, so don’t even try it.

60g raw jasmine rice

3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar

1 stick of cinnamon or cassia, broken into pieces

2SmokingMix.jpg

Method

Score the skin on your duck breasts in a diagonal pattern, but don’t cut deeply enough to go into the meat. Combine the wet marinade ingredients, (sherry, soy, sesame oil and ginger) in something like a sandwich bag. Put the scored duck breasts in the bag and work the marinade into them, and then leave them in the fridge for the day (or at least two hours).

4Marinate2hours.jpg

A little over an hour before you’re ready to cook them, take the duck breasts out of the fridge and prepare your dry spice mix.

Put the Szechuan pepper and the salt into a skillet and dry roast them over a gentle heat for a few minutes until fragrant. Keep watch so they don’t burn.

5Dryroastthespices.jpg

When they’re fragrant and have begun to pop a bit, take them off the heat. Tip into a mortar & pestle and grind.

6Finegrindspices.jpg

Remove the duck breasts from the wet marinade. Pat them dry, and then rub the ground spice mixture into them. *NB: this spice mixture burns quite quickly if you want to fry your duck skin to crisp it up, so you may want to rub the mixture on the meat only, not the skin. Either way you’ll get plenty of flavour. Leave the duck breasts sitting in the spice rub for about an hour.

When you’re ready to cook the duck, prepare your wok for the smoking process.

Mix the ingredients for the smoking mix in a bowl to ensure they’re well mixed up – that’s the sugar, rice, tea and cinnamon or cassia. (You can put all sorts of things in a smoking mix, including dried orange peel and star anise, to name two things that work well with duck.)

Line your wok with a double layer of heavy tinfoil. Pack the smoking mix down on the foil. If you have a metal rack, place it over the smoking mix. I don’t have a metal rack, so I just put wooden chopsticks across the wok to balance the meat on – it needs about an inch clearance minimum. The ends of the chopsticks will get a bit singed so for the love of God don’t use plastic.

8Smokingmixinthewok.jpg

For the purpose of this dish, I fried my duck breasts, skin side down, in a pan for three minutes before balancing them, skin side up, across the chopsticks. As stated, you don’t have to do this and you can crisp the skin after the smoking. Duck can be very fatty and it’s hard to get the fat to render off the breasts in the short time you have to put them in a pan without overcooking the duck, so just keep it in mind.

10Balanceduckonchopsticks.jpg

With the lid off, place the wok over a high heat until a steady stream of smoke starts to come from the smoking mixture. When that happens, put a lid on the wok and turn the heat down to medium. Smoke the duck breasts for 8 minutes. I have a pretty air-tight range of lids that I can use in my wok – you want to keep as much of the smoke in as possible. If you don’t have an airtight lid, use a lot of tinfoil in the wok in such a way that allows you to fold the foil in over the lid to achieve a seal.

11Coverandsmoke-8mins.jpg

That’s a glass lid, so you can see my duck breasts are obscured by sweet and flavoursome smoke.

Don’t take the lid off, don’t touch the wok – a glass lid is great because you can make sure there is still smoke in the wok and that the heat hasn’t dropped too low to create smoke.

When the eight minutes is up, turn off the heat or remove the wok from the heat source, but don’t touch the lid. Leave the duck breasts to rest in the covered wok, where they’ll continue to absorb smoke, for about 10 minutes. (Less if you like them rare – a resting time of 8-10 mins will give you medium.)

When you finally take the lid off, smoke and steam will come out. Your duck breasts are ready to eat. The smoking mix will be a solid mass of melted sugar and black spices but you should be able to lift it out of the wok in one piece on the foil when it’s cool, and bin it without having destroyed your wok.

12Cookedduckafterresting.jpg

You can serve this with anything you want – steamed rice and stirfried Asian greens is a nice idea, but I like to slice it finely and simply eat with chopsticks and a dipping sauce (in this pic the choices are hoi sin, and a mango chilli sauce that’s sweet and then kicks like a mule).

13Servesimplyandeat.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have you tried that with other meats? With other marinades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm on a health buzz so i'm going to try this with chicken............looks amazing !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

That is sooo pretty!

unfortunately I hate tea with a passion. Might see if there is anything I can substitute instead around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

O holy god this looks a.maz.ing. I need to buy a wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dinkie wrote: »
    That is sooo pretty!

unfortunately I hate tea with a passion. Might see if there is anything I can substitute instead around the house.
    I doubt it tastes anything like a mug of tea

Looks good Sweeper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Kimia wrote: »
    O holy god this looks a.maz.ing. I need to buy a wok.

My thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,950 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's by far the most impressive recipe in the cooking club yet. Kudos! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Shucks. :)

@ Minder - smoking is the experimental technique du jour now. Aim is to marinate duck in a white wine style marinade, and smoke over rice, sugar and tea with dried orange peel.

Allow to cool and finely slice and then I'm going to recreate that lunch dish that the local restaurant does that I keep wittering at you about - smoked duck with sundried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and crunchy sliced snow peas in a cream and white wine sauce, over fettucine, topped with shaved parmesan and a grind of black pepper.

I'm tempted to try and create a thinly sliced beef jerkie type snack by marinating a piece of round steak in tamarind, smoking it over rice, sugar, tea, star anise, cinnamon and black cardamom, and then slicing that paper thin and either serving over a salad with a squeeze of lime and chili, or just serving with a dipping sauce and chopsticks.

I'll let you know how I go. :)

Next step with duck is to try and recreate the sort of duck you can eat in pancakes by marinating, rubbing with spice, smoking whole (need a bigger wok, or do it on the BBQ) and then consider divinding in pieces and deep frying to get teh crispiness - or maybe finishing in the oven on high with the fan on which might achieve the same thing.

@Dinkie - it doesn't taste anything like tea, you don't need to worry about that part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Allow to cool and finely slice and then I'm going to recreate that lunch dish that the local restaurant does that I keep wittering at you about - smoked duck with sundried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and crunchy sliced snow peas in a cream and white wine sauce, over fettucine, topped with shaved parmesan and a grind of black pepper.

PLEASE post that recipe once you've figured it out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Going to make this tomorrow for a dinner party starter, you think 4 duck breasts between 6 would be enough for starter size? The pics look amazing, I'll make sure to take some of my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Next step with duck is to try and recreate the sort of duck you can eat in pancakes by marinating, rubbing with spice, smoking whole (need a bigger wok, or do it on the BBQ) and then consider divinding in pieces and deep frying to get teh crispiness - or maybe finishing in the oven on high with the fan on which might achieve the same thing.

Heston Bloomin'hell tried to recreate the lacquered crispy duck in the series In Search of Perfection. Forty ducks later, he had deconstructed the dish (and the duck) to get anywhere close. Not that I'm trying to put off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

What if you don't have a wok? I could buy one but I'm not a fan of stir-frys so I just don't think I'd use it that much to make it worth it.

Could I use anything else? Large casserole dish/pan?

You are truly the winner of this year's cooking club - if it were up to me you'd have your own sticky where you would post up your dinners (with pics) DAILY.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got a wok in Ikea for about €4 or €5 so I'll use that. Now where to get Duck breasts in Dublin?

Did you make the dipping sauces yourself? If so, care to put up the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

So, Sweeper, we did this tonight.

This is how it turned out:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10061

A couple of things:

Szechhaun peppercorns. I had never tasted them before and they are quite possibly the strangest thing I have ever tasted. In a good way! They are peppery/citrusy and tingle on the tongue. In fact, they even numb the tongue. They are as much of a "feeling" as a taste. Cassia was also a nice, new discovery for me.

The timing. Your timing was spot on. Three minutes flash-frying followed by the eight minutes plus another 8-10 minutes resulted in a nice, pink "medium".

As I don't have a wok this is the setup that I used, a large pot with a good-fitting lid:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10060

After it was done, the whole lot lifted out leaving no mess at all.

As regards the ingredients, I got them all in a Chinese supermarket (Oriental Emporium in Rathmines, Dublin): a generous bag of Szechuan peppercorns was 60c, a tin of Jasmin tea was €2 and a jar of cassia was €1.50 or so.

Tesco sell a whole fresh duck for €10, but as I am useless at jointing I got two Barbary duck breasts in LIDL.

All in all, it's a great recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've been meaning to make this for God knows how long. I've never smoked meat this way, what a simple amazing method! Luckily I have a big enough pan with a tight fitting lid, and wire rack to fit.

IMG_20141014_184031_zpsvosopxrt.jpg

I didn't crisp the skin as I quite like soft duck skin when it's smoked (thanks Avoca smoked duck salad), plus I was afraid I might overcook it. The only thing I'll make sure in future is to grind the szechuan peppercorns and salt to a fine fine powder. Just that occasionally I get a gritty bite. My fault, should've had more patience pounding. But by golly this is absolute yummers! Had it with sweet potato fries and salad.

IMG_20141014_191520_zpsr22b8fv1.jpg

I'll definitely experiment with other flavours in future.
    Thanks Sweeper, great recipe.

Advertisement