Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Tube

Options
  • 19-11-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I'm not down with technology at all so if anyone can help it would be advisable to reply to me as you would a small child or golden retriever.

I have an Xperia Z1 compact on android( O2 pay as you go),before this it was the Xperia Ray.

Where I live, my data connection/speed is weak & when I had the Xperia Ray I only used You Tube when absolutely necessary (when I needed to find out how to fix something) as it could take anything up to 15-20 minutes to steam & load a 3 minute video.
    Anyway, with the Xperia ray when it eventually steamed & loaded you could play the video back infinite times without interruption.

With my new Xperia Z1 compact it can take just as long to stream & load a video , but when your finished streaming and press play ;You Tube just starts streaming the dam thing all over again complete with all the delays & interruptions.

I can't find anywhere or way of saving the video so I dont have the interruptions.Is there a way around this for eg changing something in settings? or ,have You Tube changed the way videos are steamed on Android for the latest Xperia models?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Try googling "YouTube downloader", it's not on the play store so you'll need to side load it. Open the video in YouTube, click the share button and select YouTube donwloader from the list and save. You'll have the video stored on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry to butt in here, but just a quick question about YouTube too, is it the same for everyone else that if you're playing a video and you switch apps, the video stops? This is annoying if you're listening to music and get a message for example, if you attempt to read the message, the music stops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

That is/was the case. Until yesterday

Google launched a new service called "youtube music key" which is basically a youtube premium service

It's actually bundled with google's spotify competitor "google play music"

I think there is a special offer of 8 euro/month at the moment (maybe not) and it's normally 10 euro/month. For youtube alone it's not worth it but since it's basically spotify plus youtube premium thrown in for free it's worth it for me. It depends how much music you listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

gbob wrote: »
    Try googling "YouTube downloader", it's not on the play store so you'll need to side load it. Open the video in YouTube, click the share button and select YouTube donwloader from the list and save. You'll have the video stored on your phone.

Thanks boss. Tried this and couldn't get Youtube downloader to work & the instructions are vague on how to work it. Seems you can find it from a google search which brings you to some sort of Google play page to download . Alot of people left comments on this page describing how it doesn't actually work so maybe I'll give it another try un a few weeks.

Google search did bring up 'Tubemate' through which so far looks to be exactly what I may need. Will check it when I get home and back to my snail crawl connection. Tubemate requires you to downlold 'Video to mp3 converter' from Google play also (which makes sense I guess) so I think I've killed two birds with one stone. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Thanks boss. Tried this and couldn't get Youtube downloader to work & the instructions are vague on how to work it. Seems you can find it from a google search which brings you to some sort of Google play page to download . Alot of people left comments on this page describing how it doesn't actually work so maybe I'll give it another try un a few weeks.

Google search did bring up 'Tubemate' through which so far looks to be exactly what I may need. Will check it when I get home and back to my snail crawl connection. Tubemate requires you to downlold 'Video to mp3 converter' from Google play also (which makes sense I guess) so I think I've killed two birds with one stone. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for help

Dropbox link... https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnieg5j9p8zuhv1/Show%20Box_com.tdo.showbox_3.6_22.apk?dl=0

Dropbox won't let me share !! can email it to you if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

cormie wrote:
    Sorry to butt in here, but just a quick question about YouTube too, is it the same for everyone else that if you're playing a video and you switch apps, the video stops? This is annoying if you're listening to music and get a message for example, if you attempt to read the message, the music stops 

download a browser such as Firefox beta browser or lucid browser.
    Either allow you to open and play music from YouTube on one tab while you surf the net on other tabs. Alternatively you can minimise browser after switching to another from the tab playing youtube and the music still plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I can't find anywhere or way of saving the video so I dont have the interruptions.Is there a way around this for eg changing something in settings? or ,have You Tube changed the way videos are steamed on Android for the latest Xperia models?

Do a search for PlayTube Free app.
    It caches the video to your phone.
    However be warned that videos can take up a lot of disk space on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Nice one lads

I now have , Playtube &Tubemate & currently trying to download Dropbox for good measure (not easy on my data connection speed)

Its too much for me. With my old school dial-up speed I fear I may break the Internet.

Thanks

Advertisement