Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,347 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

fin12 wrote: »
    Axl is a sell out to remove one in a million. All politically correct now.

They never play ur f%ckin crazy either....

It's not removed from the album it's just the reissue which is a combination of lies and live like a suicide. Axl has said for years he wanted to remove it as its caused him problems due to him not being able to get his story straight on why he wrote and who it's about. Also do you know for definite it was an axl call ? It might have been a record company call. I've said before I wouldn't play it infront of people but I've listened to it several times, but I don't think it should be taken off the physical album but this reissue is on iTunes as well. Axl may not have had a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's not removed from the album it's just the reissue which is a combination of lies and live like a suicide. Axl has said for years he wanted to remove it as its caused him problems due to him not being able to get his story straight on why he wrote and who it's about. Also do you know for definite it was an axl call ? It might have been a record company call. I've said before I wouldn't play it infront of people but I've listened to it several times, but I don't think it should be taken off the physical album but this reissue is on iTunes as well. Axl may not have had a choice.

Why wouldn’t you listen to it in front of people? Just because you listen and like a song doesn’t mean you agree with what he’s saying.

Why wouldn’t you listen to it in front of people? Just because you listen and like a song doesn’t mean you agree with what he’s saying.

Yes I know that and you know that but it'd be my luck to play it and someone gets offended and then all kinds of **** happens. So best to just leave it off and not risk it. I know that's hardly a rock n roll attitude to have but feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

https://youtu.be/bGl2Yt-fiVg

There's a few of these pro shots from the skin and bones tour coming down the line.

Check out nice boys and the garden also
    Only a couple of hundred views so fresh enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

https://youtu.be/bGl2Yt-fiVg

There's a few of these pro shots from the skin and bones tour coming down the line.

That's a fantastic find.

That's a fantastic find.

The garden was only released 2 hrs ago
    Jorge apparently has the whole gig on pro shot
    Can't wait for it to come out I know I know it's bootleg but seeing new material of the bad at it's pinical and striped of all the razzmatazz of the illusions tour plus Axls on fire slash is in zone (good coke) duffs bass is well down in the mix unfortunately but looks rough .
    I'll be keeping an eye on this Jorge lads channel to see when the next one is out so far it's My Michelle.Nice Boys. Live and Let die and the Garden must check out the set list for the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The band have been announced to play at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in November.

Very lucrative for sure. The Who pulled a gig in Dublin (maybe Belfast also) a few years back to play that. Worked well for me as I couldn't make original date but went to the one that was rescheduled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Can't wait for it to come out I know I know it's bootleg but seeing new material of the bad at it's pinical and striped of all the razzmatazz of the illusions tour plus Axls on fire slash is in zone (good coke) duffs bass is well down in the mix unfortunately but looks rough .
    I'll be keeping an eye on this Jorge lads channel to see when the next one is out so far it's My Michelle.Nice Boys. Live and Let die and the Garden must check out the set list for the gig

Nice hearing Axl tell Matt at the start what song is next :cool:

Poor Gilby barely gets a look in there! Have a lot of respect for him. He always came across as a level headed and down to earth fella. It was nice to see him at the Hall of Fame awards, he deserved recognition.

I remember when GNR played the UK on that tour, was so annoyed they didn't stick an Irish gig in there. I didn't have the money to go see them at Milton Keynes and the fact that Izzy had rejoined them for a while made it even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not too sure about duffs tone meself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It most certainly is, looks amazing

Nice hearing Axl tell Matt at the start what song is next

My heart skipped a beat when Matt knocked out the first drum roll of locomotive just before My Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭BurnUp78

My heart skipped a beat when Matt knocked out the first drum roll of locomotive just before My Michelle

Pro shot of Locomotive is the holy grail. You just know Axl has it somewhere in his vault to!

They only played locomotive live once didn't they ? I know there is the Paris rehearsal footage with Jeff beck but I've heard audio of them playing it live but no video.

I mean I posted a video of the Chicago 1992 show which had all the extras on it prior to the show and that footage was stolen from the crew. My point is imagine the footage that wasn't and someone has(Axl) locked away. They said they filmed every show of the UYI tour so the vault must have some amazing stuff in it.

They only played locomotive live once didn't they ? I know there is the Paris rehearsal footage with Jeff beck but I've heard audio of them playing it live but no video.

I mean I posted a video of the Chicago 1992 show which had all the extras on it prior to the show and that footage was stolen from the crew. My point is imagine the footage that wasn't and someone has(Axl) locked away. They said they filmed every show of the UYI tour so the vault must have some amazing stuff in it.

They played it about 4 times during the illusions tour between July and Dec 91 according to set list fm.
    There was one monster 35 song gig on Aug 3rd at Inglewood Ca that also contained
    Perfect crime
    Pretty tied up
    Break down
    Right next door to hell
    Loco
    And Dead horse .
    That my friends is the fabled holy grail of pro shots.
    It must of been for the perfect crime documentary that's never seen the light of day .
    So if someone can talk nicely to Axl just that one gig released on blue ray thank you very much .

Could be a nice addition to a 30 year Illusions box set not to far around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

When it comes to Guns stuff on YouTube, Gibbos YouTube Channel rules..

Also Guns landed back on the charts with Shadow Of Your Love for the first time since Better in 2009.
    "Shadow" is GN'R's first track to crack Mainstream Rock Songs in nearly a decade and its 22nd entry overall. The group, which boasts eight top 10s, had last charted with "Better," which hit No. 18 in January 2009.

"Shadow" is the band's first radio single featuring its original lineup of Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler since "Patience," which peaked at No. 7 in March 1989. It's the first with Slash, Stradlin and McKagan since "Sympathy for the Devil" (No. 10, 1994).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tour is never going to end at this rate. Racking In the $$$$

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156458818638069&id=10901008068

• Advertisement

Would imagine after they've wrapped in Abu Dhabi in late November, Slash will turn his attention full time to Myles & The Conspirators, while Axl will probably go off with AC/DC for a while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would imagine after they've wrapped in Abu Dhabi in late November, Slash will turn his attention full time to Myles & The Conspirators, while Axl will probably go off with AC/DC for a while..

still sounds weird

8-10 years ago its hard to imagine the Chinese Democracy era Axl perfomring so well and fronting 2 bands. Hes enjoying life to the full

PTH2009 wrote: »
    still sounds weird

8-10 years ago its hard to imagine the Chinese Democracy era Axl perfomring so well and fronting 2 bands. Hes enjoying life to the full

Way I see it, it took a while for people to get used to Brian replacing Bon, it's gonna take a while for people to accept Axl replacing Brian, of course when Brian replaced Bon, there wasn't any bitching as you'd get today.

Plus if it means Axl's vocals on new stuff that isn't Guns, then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Anyone here going to any of the shows this summer?
    I'm going to Sweden... can't wait!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

seachto7 wrote: »
    Also see One in a Million is left off the reissues.

Article in times today mentioning this and that the album would be unlikely to pass Spotify standards with One in a Million on the tracklisting. So just a financial decision to pull it then?

A year today since they kicked off the European leg of the Not In This Lifetime Tour @ Slane Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

PetraMac wrote: »
    Anyone here going to any of the shows this summer?
    I'm going to Sweden... can't wait!!

I am going to Download June 9th and Graspop at the end of June! :)

I am going to Download June 9th and Graspop at the end of June! :)
    Aw amazing, two gigs, I'm dead jealous :D
    Though I'm thinking of Iceland, if I can swing it with my other half...

A year today since they kicked off the European leg of the Not In This Lifetime Tour @ Slane Castle.

What a day that was!! I've been looking over my photos, I'll never forget it. Were you there??

Are there any other girls in this thread??

Jaysus GNR are pulling out some old stuff to officially put it out(I've seen the video before but not this full version)

• Advertisement

Don't think so.

Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Me

What a day that was!! I've been looking over my photos, I'll never forget it. Were you there??

It was awesome from start to finish, only kinda let down I thought was Mark Lanegan's set, had the vibe that he didn't wanna be there..

I was, and I'd do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was awesome from start to finish, only kinda let down I thought was Mark Lanegan's set, had the vibe that he didn't wanna be there..

I was, and I'd do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself..

I wasn't at it, but I'll defend Mark Lanegan here. He was never suited to the lineup/venue. Excruciatingly shy guy, always just hugs the mike stand without much talking, and that's in small venues when see him. Unreal voice though, probably lost in the vastness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Me

So if all these videos are being released ahead of the Appetite box-set, one wonders whats coming down the line for the Illusions when it hits 30 years since it's release.

Is this the beginning of Axl's mythical vault being opened :pac:

So if all these videos are being released ahead of the Appetite box-set, one wonders whats coming down the line for the Illusions when it hits 30 years since it's release.

Is this the beginning of Axl's mythical vault being opened :pac:

Well the ISE video had been out there. One point of the ISE video, looking at Erin everley do her thing, I know axl was a bit nuts but was he completely tapped ? She was gorgeous.

I hope they release the perfect crime documentary. It's Axl's handlers management seeing dollar signs and wanting in on the money. Btw those handlers are beta and her kids. They must be rolling in it.

It seems the not in this lifetime tour is turning into the never going to stop tour. GNR are now playing in Russia on July 13th to coincide with the World Cup final. I'm sure they aren't doing this for the good of their health ?

They'll be more than well compensated for that show..

• Advertisement

They'll be more than well compensated for that show..

Well I know that. I can't believe it is just over a year since slane. Jesus I'll never forget it. Magic stuff.

Don't think anyone who was there is gonna forget it any time soon to be honest.

Now to wait for the gears in AC/DC to start rolling, so Slash can resume his solo run with Myles & The Conspirators..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

A few new words from Izzy! Or Mr Stradlin as the Wall Street Journal refers to him as. Mentions the reunion and 'not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process'...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/guns-n-roses-rakes-in-millions-on-reunion-tour-but-its-missing-mr-invisible-1527429349

For those not subbed to the Wall Street Journal. Here's the article in full.
    At the height of Guns N’ Roses’ fame, rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin cut such an understated figure that lead singer Axl Rose referred to him as “Mr. Invisible.”

More than 25 years later, the band is back together for “Not in This Lifetime…,” a multiyear, globe-spanning reunion tour which, according to Billboard, is the highest-grossing in history. But it is missing Mr. Stradlin, whose songwriting contributed to hits like “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and “Patience.”

“He wrote half the stuff,” said Rick Nielsen, guitarist for rock band Cheap Trick. “It was Izzy’s f—ing band,” said former Guns N’ Roses manager Alan Niven, who later worked directly for Mr. Stradlin. In his 2011 autobiography, Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan wrote that “Izzy was probably the most significant force” in the group.

Mr. Stradlin, now 56 years old and living in Ojai, Calif., resigned from Guns N’ Roses in 1991. By some measures, he has kept much busier than his former band, quietly releasing nine studio albums between 1999 and 2010. (Guns N’ Roses released one over the same period.)

His low profile and absence from a reunion tour for a group he helped found, however, mystify his fans and associates. The band he formed after Guns N’ Roses, the Ju Ju Hounds, broke up after one album, and his solo efforts have flown under the radar, in part because he doesn’t tour.

“The current GNR tour has been a great success for the guys. My nonparticipation was simply not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process,” Mr. Stradlin said in an email. “That’s life, sometimes things don’t work out.” He didn’t respond to further inquiries.

Fernando Lebeis, manager for Guns N’ Roses, declined to comment on the tour negotiations but said “Izzy is a dear friend.”

Mr. Stradlin, now 56 years old and living in Ojai, Calif., resigned from Guns N’ Roses in 1991. By some measures, he has kept much busier than his former band, quietly releasing nine studio albums between 1999 and 2010. (Guns N’ Roses released one over the same period.)

His low profile and absence from a reunion tour for a group he helped found, however, mystify his fans and associates. The band he formed after Guns N’ Roses, the Ju Ju Hounds, broke up after one album, and his solo efforts have flown under the radar, in part because he doesn’t tour.

“The current GNR tour has been a great success for the guys. My nonparticipation was simply not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process,” Mr. Stradlin said in an email. “That’s life, sometimes things don’t work out.” He didn’t respond to further inquiries.

Fernando Lebeis, manager for Guns N’ Roses, declined to comment on the tour negotiations but said “Izzy is a dear friend.”

Mr. Stradlin, born Jeff Isbell, began his music career in 1980, when he moved from Lafayette, Ind., to Los Angeles, followed by his childhood friend, Mr. Rose. Mr. Stradlin joined punk and metal bands, delivered the L.A. Weekly and used heroin, according to people who worked with him and his own accounts. Guns N’ Roses formed in 1985.

The band’s 1987 album, “Appetite for Destruction,” which featured Mr. Stradlin’s songwriting and raw, loose guitar-playing, sold 8 million copies in the U.S. by 1989, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. It is set for reissue in June.

Mr. Stradlin’s addiction worsened as the band’s popularity soared, according to former colleagues. After he was arrested for urinating in the galley of a plane, Mr. Stradlin gave up drinking and drugs on Dec. 15, 1989, he said in a 2006 interview with digital-music distributor TuneCore.

Guns N’ Roses finished its double album “Use Your Illusion” and went on tour in 1991. Mr. Stradlin, attempting to stay sober, distanced himself from his rowdier bandmates, according to former colleagues. But he continued to be frustrated by their behavior, including Mr. Rose’s late appearances at concerts, the colleagues said. Mr. Stradlin quit on or around Sept. 9, 1991, a week before the release of “Use Your Illusion,” according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

His departure was announced Nov. 7. “It was such a major change,” Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash wrote in his memoir. “But to the outside world it was a nonevent.”

Mr. Stradlin reconnected with old friends in Lafayette. Soon after, he formed a new band, enlisting Los Angeles bassist Jimmy Ashhurst, and signed a two-album deal with Guns N’ Roses’ label, Geffen Records. His vision, according to bandmates: A scaled-back, drama-free group that played rootsy rock in clubs and theaters.

Joined by Bob Dylan drummer Charlie Quintana and guitarist Rick Richards of Atlanta’s Georgia Satellites, Mr. Stradlin in 1992 released “Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds,” to warm reviews. “Shuffle It All,” its biggest single, reached No. 6 on Billboard’s rock chart that year.

The band enjoyed touring abroad. But in the U.S., journalists dogged Mr. Stradlin with questions about Guns N’ Roses. A tour with Keith Richards didn’t happen; an offer from Bon Jovi was rejected. “Bon Jovi chased him high and low,” said Mr. Niven, who managed Mr. Stradlin at the time. “Izzy’s attitude was, very bluntly, I’d rather play clubs.”

Representatives for Bon Jovi and Mr. Richards said they didn’t remember the details of the tours.

Touring wasn’t easy for Mr. Stradlin. A well-known addiction specialist, Bob Timmins, was hired to help him, says Steve White, Mr. Stradlin’s former road manager. “He was still fighting off the addiction,” Mr. White said.

Mr. Timmins died in 2008. A spokesman for his foundation declined to comment on his work with Mr. Stradlin.

Mr. Stradlin’s bandmates tried to respect his sobriety. When Mr. Quintana drank during a 1992 recording session with Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood, for example, he put his red wine in a coffee cup, Mr. Quintana said in a 2016 interview. “He wanted a healthy band.” (Mr. Quintana died in March.)

Mr. Ashhurst remembered inadvertently upsetting Mr. Stradlin by smoking a joint on a tour bus. “I wish I could take that back, but I can’t,” he said.

The Ju Ju Hounds broke up in 1994 while recording its second album. The band members were working at the Caribbean Sound Basin studio in Trinidad, taking breaks to travel, surf and scuba-dive.

Early that year, Mr. Ashhurst called in after a diving trip and was told Mr. Stradlin had left the country. Confused, he eventually found Mr. Stradlin in a coffee shop in Copenhagen.

“I don’t think he appreciated being tracked down,” Mr. Ashhurst said.

Mr. Stradlin wanted to get away from the pressures of the music business, current and former colleagues said, but they also cited friction between Mr. Stradlin and Mr. Ashhurst over drugs. Mr. Ashhurst said he later became addicted to heroin, but not during his time with the Ju Ju Hounds.

In his email, Mr. Stradlin said “the Ju Ju Hounds was a great band.”

He released his second Geffen album, “117˚,” in 1998, with Rick Richards, his Guns N’ Roses colleague Mr. McKagan and former Reverend Horton Heat drummer Taz Bentley.

For later albums, instead of working with a label or management, Mr. Stradlin released them independently through digital distributors like TuneCore. He has little interest in promotional activities, bandmates say. “It’s just basically 11 records that nobody knows about,” Mr. Bentley said.

These days, Mr. Stradlin wakes up early, mountain-bikes, surfs and travels with his longtime girlfriend, Rick Richards said. “He likes to be untethered.”

According to a 1992 interview in Musician magazine, Mr. Stradlin said getting a dog helped to “keep my perspective, see life through a dog’s eyes. You’re doing all right if you’ve got food, a place to sleep and someone to pet you.”

Me.

Hi! I tried to PM you but it's telling me you can't receive PMs at the moment... any chance you could delete old messages to make space and I can try again? (Want to ask you something GNR -related)

One point of the ISE video, looking at Erin everley do her thing, I know axl was a bit nuts but was he completely tapped ? She was gorgeous.

Absolutely. She was beautiful (and still is from what I hear). She and Axl made a gorgeous pair. Pity there was so much negative stuff between them.

Maybe they just weren't meant to be.

Hi! I tried to PM you but it's telling me you can't receive PMs at the moment... any chance you could delete old messages to make space and I can try again? (Want to ask you something GNR -related)
    Hi I’ve deleated some messages now so there’s space.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭BurnUp78

So they rehearsed Slither at soundcheck. It's been on the alt setlist for 2 years now so it's great Axls finally playing it, hopefully dropping it for the boring black hole sun.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see what this legs set list comprises of
    Hopefully drop a lot of the new covers they've added
    They just don't sound GnR . And Axl struggles to hit the notes on them e.g. whitcia line man and black hole sun.
    Would like you're crazy added prob play Shadow of your love
    Slither would be cool as more than likely would of been a GnR song had they stayed togeher. Swap a cover for move to the city love that song.
    Hopefully it's not the predictable Ise Mr B CD WttJ .... ect

WttJ would be a killer opener but Axl needs a few songs to warm up first

Advertisement