Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Constant tiredness: Looking for a good doctor (Dublin/Ireland))

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All

I have been afflicted by debilitating tiredness since Oct/Nov 2012.
    Since then, it has three times disappeared for a few months but comes back.
    I have been to several doctors and had my bloods done (full blood count, TSH, T3, T4 Lipid etc) only to be told that I am fine or depressed (which I am neither).

Around Oct/Nov 2012, I awoke feeling tired with aches and pains circulating around my body. I thought it was a flu (I'd never had one of those before) but it has never fully went away. For 10 months I went to the doctor and he kept putting me on antibiotics, but eventually dismissed me as "healthy". I was forced to do my own investigating : since my mother is hypothyroid and on the advice of a US naturopath I found online I started self-medicating with thyroid hormone (this increased my energy for a while - unless it was a placebo effect)

After my second crash (December 2013), I visited a naturopath who placed me on a regime (paleo diet and vitamins). Aches and pains (since 2012) disappeared and I gradually became less tired. However, in August (2014) I had another crash and I am not recovering from that particularly quickly. I am also itching all over my body (particularly at night time).

I've been doing my own research for the past two years (since any doctors I have visited are of no help to me).

Originally I had tiredness and pains all over my body - according to research that could be CFS/ME/FM or a thyroid issue.

Pains went away, but still have the tiredness (now with itching all over body). This could be liver related (it says online that tiredness is often the first sign of a liver disorder - itchiness also fits in here). Also, my blood tests have a high level of bilirubin (but my doctor is ignoring this).

Anyhow:
    My issue is this: I have an undiagnosed health problem. Doctors have no interest in assisting me in finding out the cause and at times I have put myself at risk by trying to self-medicate out of complete desperation. MY experience with Irish GPs is that they blindly follow figures on a blood test and if you don't fall outside of an acceptable range of numbers they dismiss you as a hypochondriac.

Can any of you fine people share experiences of or recommend a good doctor (Dublin/Ireland) who will investigate symptoms as opposed to dismissing you when your numbers on a blood test fall within an arbitrary range?

Please PM me to avoid breaking any rules of this forum.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Advertisement