Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad mackeral season

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

snow ghost wrote: »
    Never heard of the 'Mackerel Sweats' - sounds more like a possible excuse for a hangover.

I'd be more worried about over-dosing on MacDonalds than MacKerel.

You should make a youtube video Dry Fly Fishing - Super Mackerel Size Me - on teh perils of scoffing too many of them.

BTW after the first few meals of them after they arrive they become very sickening and mundane to the taste buds.

yea they become sickening as your body is telling you that you are eating too much oil....

but if you want to get the sweats keep on eating them

my grandad got his wife to steap the mackerel in still boiling water to get some of the oil out... before frying and then he scoffed a few plate fulls... this went on every summer for a month ....

if you get the oil out you can eat more... and itch..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

yea they become sickening as your body is telling you that you are eating too much oil....

The same happens when eating swans, very oily birds and don't mention dolphin you'll be sweating like Christy Moore after too many flipper burgers. :eek:

The same happens when eating swans, very oily birds and don't mention dolphin you'll be sweating like Christy Moore after too many flipper burgers. :eek:

always wanted to eat a swan... not joking.. if the queen of England has one on her table at Christmas i want one to. I wonder does she still have a swan for Christmas on the table... i think by law she is the only one allowed

must say though there are alot of queens in ireland with all the swans going missing lets not forget about the ducks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

always wanted to eat a swan... not joking.. if the queen of England has one on her table at Christmas i want one to. I wonder does she still have a swan for Christmas on the table... i think by law she is the only one allowed

I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - that there is a law in the UK that all swans there belong to her.

Here they just tell us some ****e about them being the children of lear so that we won't eat them.

I wouldn't eat them myself, penguins are much tastier.

I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - that there is a law in the UK that all swans there belong to her.

Here they just tell us some ****e about them being the children of lear so that we won't eat them.

I wouldn't eat them myself, penguins are much tastier.

with bird flue still around and if you catch it your most likely dead, i gave up shooting birds...

i dont take much heed to english law only that they screwed with our pub opening hours and our goverment still has not changed it back to all hours lol....

a well lets not talk about the irish heads of sheep...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

anyone ever get the mackerel sweats... w

Nope, but doesn't sound pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

skipz wrote: »
    The gurdy's are the way to go, these bhoys must be sittng over one hell of a shoal,
    Don't like that at all. Catching 6 with a rod is bad enough without raping the shoal altogether....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Don't like that at all. Catching 6 with a rod is bad enough without raping the shoal altogether....:(

How is catching six bad enough when there is more mackeral in irish waters the there is people on the island of ireland? You would think mackeral were rare as hens teeth the way some people go on.
    Gurdys are a great way of commercial fishing for mackeral, its not a 2tonne haul net that picks a whole shoal out, it uses the same method as rod and line fishing with feathers and jiggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Loads off Fenit pier today.

yes there is alot of mackerel bot very few compared to a few years ago..

and they are small now very small...

people should be releasing the small ones and keep the nice eater....

• Advertisement
Advertisement