Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky dish for free to air/saorview?

• 23-10-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

There is a sky dish and cable in my current property.
    I plan on using saorview/free to air channels through using a combi box
    Can anyone tell me if the satellite dish will need to be moved/adjusted to connect my combi box (recommendations appreciated) and for it function?
    Are there any other things I would need to change to use the combi given the previous sky set up?

Any information or tips appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The dish will be OK for the FTA satellite channels but you'll require an aerial for the Saorview channels.

http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Ok, So I need to purchase an aerial for the saorview channels, would I be better getting someone into install/erect the aerial?

Will the saorview stations come into the combo box then? So I wont need to switch between the saorview and the free to air stations?
    You said the dish would be ok, do you think it could be better somehow?
    Would you recommend any particular combi box? My needs would be v basic ie recording would not be a deal breaker etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you are in a strong signal area, the Saorview aerial installation would be quite a simple affair. Use a decent aerial if you can.

If it can be placed near the dish, you could save a down lead by using a combiner/splitter at both ends.

youngblood wrote: »
    would I be better getting someone into install/erect the aerial?

Have you done it before? Would be confident doing it yourself?
    You said the dish would be ok, do you think it could be better somehow?

No, provided the dish is still pointing at the correct satellite position and the LNB and cabling are in good working order.
    Will the saorview stations come into the combo box then? So I wont need to switch between the saorview and the free to air stations?

Would you recommend any particular combi box? My needs would be v basic ie recording would not be a deal breaker etc

A combi box will tune both Saorview and FTA satellite channels, how they are displayed will depend on the particular model.
    I wouldn't be able to recommend a particular box as I've never owned one but there are lots of threads here on various models.

Examples of combi recceivers
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/combo-receivers.html
    http://www.satworld.ie/satellite-receivers/irish-and-uk-combo-boxes.html
    http://satellite.ie/acatalog/Ferguson_ariva_120_installed.html
    http://www.freesat.ie/product-list.php?Satellite_Combo_Receivers-pg1-cid51.html

Maybe you guys can help me with this one,
    There is one cable coming out from the wall.
    Its black, has 2 heads on it, they are similar to the ones I used to screw into my old sky box
    But if memory serves me correct, I only needed to screw in one cable in..........

Why might there be 2 screw-in heads (same cable) here???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doney84

Maybe you guys can help me with this one,
    Its black, has 2 heads on it, they are similar to the ones I used to screw into my old sky box
    But if memory serves me correct, I only needed to screw in one cable in..........

Why might there be 2 screw-in heads (same cable) here???

Two feeds coming from the dish, it allows for recording of one channel while watching another or recording two different channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

'Shotgun' cable. As already mentioned, typically used to provide LNB feeds for a receiver with 2 satellite tuners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

There is a sky dish and cable in my current property.
    I plan on using saorview/free to air channels through using a combi box
    Can anyone tell me if the satellite dish will need to be moved/adjusted to connect my combi box (recommendations appreciated) and for it function?
    Are there any other things I would need to change to use the combi given the previous sky set up?

Any information or tips appreciated
    Might be as well to go for a triple tuner like the alien 2 or sab
    that way you can record 2 stations while watching a third station
    Needless to say you will need a usb drive to record

Technofobe wrote: »
    Might be as well to go for a triple tuner like the alien 2 or sab
    that way you can record 2 stations while watching a third station
    Needless to say you will need a usb drive to record

Got a quote today for 240 installation of aerial for saorview and combi box.
    Is that on the expensive side?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Depends on what you are getting. You can buy the tuner and install it yourself as it is a direct replacement for the Sky box. You then check the Saorview signal. If you need an aerial, that is a smaller job.

• Advertisement

Got a quote today for 240 installation of aerial for saorview and combi box.
    Is that on the expensive side?
    It would depend on the combi box
    you can get the amiko alien 2 for around €140 + 20 for the saorview ariel
    so if you were even remotely handy you could fit the aeriel yourself to save a few quid

Going to see if I can attempt it myself
    Wouldnt have a clue about feeding cables, drilling holes, bringing down wires,
    going to check out the set up in the attic to see if there was an aerial or something there before as there is a socket in the wall near the tv where you would have brought a traditional aerial (analogue) tv to the old tvs???? (sorry for the non technical terms)

It might be doable yet...??..??

Going to see if I can attempt it myself
    Wouldnt have a clue about feeding cables, drilling holes, bringing down wires,
    going to check out the set up in the attic to see if there was an aerial or something there before as there is a socket in the wall near the tv where you would have brought a traditional aerial (analogue) tv to the old tvs???? (sorry for the non technical terms)

It might be doable yet...??..??
    Go for it young fella
    its not really that difficult keep it neat and tidy
    Just be careful up the ladder get someone to hold it for you
    or if your not too far from the transmitter you could try putting the aeriel in the attic wont cost you anything but time to try it

@ Youngblood

Where are you based? Are you near the local transmitter?

You can be as close to the transmitter as you want, but if the terrain is unfavourable or you have buildings or trees in the way, you can still have problems.

In some cases, the 'local' transmitter might not be serving your particular area at all.

He should try a simple solution before a more complicated and expensive one.

He should also check what his neighbours do.

... going to check out the set up in the attic to see if there was an aerial or something there before

If you're thinking about putting something in the attic, have a look at this: http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/whatsat-201007.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Got rid of a skybox myself and got a soarview combi box instead

Pretty easy, just hook the sky satellite cable into the combi box and an aerial into the combi box and tune it... Got all the Freesat channels, Terrestrial channels and whatever random stations come on the Satellite..

Can anyone tell me actually what the difference is with the Freesat and Satellite channels? Why do only some random old sky channels work? I get about 50 channels from the sky satellite and about 10 on the freesat section! some are doubled up too

Two types of channels work on Sky, encrypted and in-the-clear. On FTA and Freesat, only those in the clear can work. FTA just load the channels in the order they are found - about 300 plus. The Freesat ask for your post code (UK) and load the channels that would give you your local TV.

Freesat do not allow changes to channel numbers, so BBC1 is always 101, BBC2 is 102, etc. Because the Beeb have 30 or so varieties of BBC1, etc, they all come in on the FTA setup. That is one big advantage of Freesat, plus it has a 7 day EPG.

Well worth the subscription. (Free):D

Aerial up and working,
    Tested on a ariva ferguson 150but need to buy my own now

Budget round 100e give or take,

would your recommend any simple combi boxes?
    Dont have need to multi record etc

Cheers for all the advice

• Advertisement

Very tempted by the Alien Amiko2, with my standard satellite and aerial set up, this should work ok right?

Advertisement