Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooway Satellite Broadband in Limerick?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 7:51pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone used this locally?? thinking of trying it as we are in a broadband 'blackspot' but was interested to know if anyone has tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Where in Limerick are you?

Sat broadband should only be considered as a very very very last option. From some of the systems Ive seen, i think youd be better off with decent dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I have taken a couple of these out for people as they all claImed they were unreliable especially after 6pm, but personally cannot confirm this was really the problem, where are you living approx??, there are a lot of companies providing wireless broadband which are alot more reliable including the company listed below that I install for, I am not a direct employee so hope the mod's don't mind me saying that.

I agree with Xennon that two-way should only be considered as a last resort there installation prices are extremely high and the dish is quite large and unsightly however that said if its your only option then I'd take it..but only as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuplafocal

Have you tried Ripplecom? very good 8Mb package and will be much better than Satellite

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We are between Ballyneety and Fedamore and seem to be out of coverage for most providers. I'm with 3 at the minute and its not great but it does the basics.
    I've never heard of Ripplecom, so will look into that. I'm in the process of trying to get Eircom to sort out the line, but fear I'm losing the battle (&the will to live) in dealing with them:rolleyes:

Would a dial up be better than 3 if the coverage isn't great - I only get 2 bars coverage usually

Angel, contact Steve there directly,he could do a test for wireless coverage at your place, There are ways around these things even if there isn't direct coverage, a relay being one option,but without knowing whats actually available to you at the moment its hard to say.

• Advertisement

Maints Broadband have a number of nodes in and around the Fedamore area, one is located on Top of the water tower on Skule hill and another on top of the post office in Fedamore village. There is also have a relay located on the hill near Caherconlish with the Cross on it, so you have three chances of getting a signal.

If you have line of sight of these then have a look at the following site..
    http://www.maintsbb.com/

No obligation and free test available..

steveon wrote: »
    Maints Broadband have a number of nodes in and around the Fedamore area, one is located on Top of the water tower on Skule hill and another on top of the post office in Fedamore village. There is also have a relay located on the hill near Caherconlish with the Cross on it, so you have three chances of getting a signal.

If you have line of sight of these then have a look at the following site..
    http://www.maintsbb.com/

No obligation and free test available..

Thanks Steveon sounds promising, I'll get hubby to check if we can see any of those. free test might be worthwhile.
    thanks

Glad to help ....

Glad to help ....

just pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I'm using tooway as part of the NBS (national broadband scheme) as I have no other option. Its only OK - fine for boards, basic surfing, a little youtube but definitely no major downloading or gaming. It's better than dial up but not by much

It's subsidised by the NBS (50e for equipment, 20e per month), in non-NBS areas it can be very expensive.

• Advertisement

where abouts in Limerick are u oakshade?

Just outside Kilfinnane, on the Glenroe side, near Ballyorgan

I know Glenroe well and the area is covered by Maints Broadband also, we have two transmitters in the area, one is in Glenosheen which covers alot of ballyorgan and second is located not far from Glenroe village.

I know Glenroe well and the area is covered by Maints Broadband also, we have two transmitters in the area, one is in Glenosheen which covers alot of ballyorgan and second is located not far from Glenroe village.

Sounds interesting, 25e for 1mb download is OK, 1mb upload is very generous (but unnecessary really?). How much for equipment and setup costs? Any throttling? I know a few people in the area on NBS who would be out of contract with them and potentially interested for the right deal.

It costs €99euro for install and that includes a free wireless router included as well .. free signal test before hand to make sure a service can be provided.

Other speeds are available. and price available on request.

It costs €99euro for install and that includes a free wireless router included as well .. free signal test before hand to make sure a service can be provided.

Other speeds are available. and price available on request.

Thank you- final question, what's the download cap and do you throttle the speed after a certain threshold?

I think you need to direct that question at the ISP, give them a call?

There is actually a unlimited download but there is a fair use policy as in no downloading films 24/7 lol...but as for throttle the speed you get exactly the speed you pay for...

i.e. if you pay for 1mb you get 1mb...we sometimes have to give over the speed to provide exactly what the customer pays for..and as for throttling the speed thats a no no...

Well its now 10 days since we had Maintsbb installed, what an improvement!! no more loss of coverage or waiting what felt like hours to bring a site up! Definately recommend them!
    Thanks Steveon for the installation as well... excellent job - no mess - no messy wires everywhere - genius! - sorry for the mess when you came... up to my ears in essays:o:o

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well its now 10 days since we had Maintsbb installed, what an improvement!! no more loss of coverage or waiting what felt like hours to bring a site up! Definately recommend them!
    Thanks Steveon for the installation as well... excellent job - no mess - no messy wires everywhere - genius! - sorry for the mess when you came... up to my ears in essays:o:o

Not at all only too happy to be able to help out, it's unusual that some1 would have such a clear line of sight such as yours, fabulous views from your house I must say. I'm delighted to hear your happy with it and thanks for posting such positive feedback is always nice to hear.

I don't unfortunately do all the installs for Maints Broadband but I have never experienced any problems with their service which is why I am always happy to recommend them to anyone where available.

Oh and best of luck with your choose course..

Regards
    Steven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lehane98

Does anyone know the difference between the tooway ksat satellite and the avanti hylas 1 satellite? Which would be a better option for the west cork area?

Advertisement