Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the benifit of flashing an xbox 360

Options
  • 03-09-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

what is the point of flashing an xbox 360? from what i understand, you cant install a bigger hard disk , so theres no way you can store tons of games like you could with the original xbox. so whats the point? im not being smart or anything, i really want to know. once flashed, can it play copied games or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Yep, that's exactly what it can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 grimreefer75

flashing your 360 will make all your wildest dreams come true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Does the 360 not do Divx/xvid etc when its flashed? Like the oldxbox?

Thinkin of flashin mine and using one to play live on......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Flashing the drive will only allow you to play backed up Games. Check out tversity in regard to an xvid/divx solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Have many people with flashed firmware been banned from live? that'd be the only thing that's stopping me from doing it. Live rocks! what do you reckon the chances are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

Extremely high. I'd guess the next batch of 360 bannings will come in 2 weeks when Halo 3 released.
    We will see then how effective these new supposedly Live safe firmware are.

ongarite wrote:
    Extremely high. I'd guess the next batch of 360 bannings will come in 2 weeks when Halo 3 released.
    We will see then how effective these new supposedly Live safe firmware are.

Judging by your tone i'd guess that you we're anti-firmware modding and therefore biased in your opinion... correct me if i'm wrong though

Judging by your tone i'd guess that you we're anti-firmware modding and therefore biased in your opinion... correct me if i'm wrong though

Not in the slightest, if you did any research here you would see I'm one of the biggest original XBOX modding fans.

I'll just say this, everyone thought they could flash the firmware and play copied games on Live and then got burnt when Crackdown with Halo3 beta came out.
    I'm sure MS will do the same when Halo3 is released as its going to be the biggest Live game for 360 this year or any year.
    All these people with new supposedly Live proof firmwares could be in for a nasty shock again!!

Just my 2 cents, it happened lots of times in the XBOX lifetime.

Ok, my mistake! tell me though, what if you only use originals when you're playing online? i'd say it'd be a fair bit safer then would it?

It will be safer for sure but nobody can say for definite that you won't be caught.
    Noboby knows for sure how MS detects firmware modding and copied games.

• Advertisement

Hmm, i don't think i'll be risking it then. it'd suck being banned from live!

If you are caught and banned its your console that is banned not your gamertag.
    M$ aint stupid, they know you will buy another console and renew your Live sub is you really want to play online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Henrik_is_God

I just bought an xbox 360 elite on ebay . I was told to get it flashed , how much does it cost ?

Mod chips ireland will do it for 45 quid + postage to Cork. Really reliable service. There's a guy on Boards that does it as well, i think he's called "that guy" or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

360flashingireland.com do it pretty cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok so there is a possibility that you will be banned if you play a copied game on Live.

But if you play it offline MS won't be able to detect you have flashed the firmware when you re-connect will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

If you play stealth backups you cant be banned when online
    The game image needs a tiny patch before its burned and thats it safe as houses ;)

IrishMike wrote:
    If you play stealth backups you cant be banned when online

Hmm, i wouldn't say that's wholly accurate from what i've been reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

So they used microsoft code to patch the iso?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I remember playing a game (I think it was Call of Duty 3 but not 100%) but it said in order to play the game I needed to connect to the web for an update.

Once I updated it played fine but I am wondering now if you have a modded xbox 360 and need to update will M$ detect your firmware and not allow the update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

branners69 wrote: »
    I remember playing a game (I think it was Call of Duty 3 but not 100%) but it said in order to play the game I needed to connect to the web for an update.

Once I updated it played fine but I am wondering now if you have a modded xbox 360 and need to update will M$ detect your firmware and not allow the update?

No game will ask you to connect to xbox_live to update so you can play/continue. Orgional games contain the code to update (which all they do is add drivers to HD) the console itself and if updates are needed this will be done the first time the game is loaded into the xbox 360. If a game is backed up the code is transferred to a back up, same as.

Advertisement