Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Forget I asked ....... finally got an answer from a Chat session with Vodafone

That might be better in the OpenEIR FTTH thread than here in the SIRO thread.

So they might have bit the bullet on that.

The 25 for the first 6 months is in line with their SIRO FTTH pricing. They still have a 1 TB FUP though. And their contention on their VDSL can be pretty bad.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

60754 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. Again the 10000 connections per quarter trend continues. Surprisingly there does not seem to have been a spike in connections due to the aggressive promotion of SIRO.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2018/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

60754 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. Again the 10000 connections per quarter trend continues. Surprisingly there does not seem to have been a spike in connections due to the aggressive promotion of SIRO.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2018/
    Wasn't that a summer offer?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Wasn't that a summer offer?

No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made. Some providers have announce more conservative dates.

However, every user signed up is guaranteed the reduced pricing for 18 months from installation. Disregardless is the offer ends or not.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made. Some providers have announce more conservative dates.

However, every user signed up is guaranteed the reduced pricing for 18 months from installation. Disregardless is the offer ends or not.

/M

I think he might mean that the figures might not yet reflect the effect of the promotion. Do you know off hand what date the promotion began?

/M
    What month did the offer become available?

[edit] I mean the first connections under the offer.

What month did the offer become available?

[edit] I mean the first connections under the offer.

1st May apparently according to this so they had May and June for this set of figures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106843186&postcount=4781

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

1st May apparently according to this so they had May and June for this set of figures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106843186&postcount=4781

It was officially 1. May, but the date was pulled a bit forward, so the first connections under the amended pricing were ordered and installed in April.

It was officially 1. May, but the date was pulled a bit forward, so the first connections under the amended pricing were ordered and installed in April.
    The first I knew about it was your post. I sure there has been a surge in connections as it's such a great offer. If it doesn't show in the 3rd quarter figures, then I'm scratching my head.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made.

For clarity: it's available to providers to offer to new and upgrading customers until November 20th, and it applies for a period of 18 month from the date each customer takes it up. So a customer who signed up for it in May gets the promotion until November 2019; a customer who signs up in October gets it until April 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭GPoint

GIMickey wrote: »
    Did you get the 1gb broadband with it, s there any chance you can you do a 5ghz WiFi speedtest on it. I've been told that they are trailing it but not giving it out on new orders.

I got Vodafone SIRO gigabit broadband installed few days ago.
    The modem that was installed was Vodafone Gigabox as discussed here.

Speedtest windows app reports speeds of 940Mb / 190Mb.
    Wifi from Motorola smartphone around 120Mb up and down.

Now, to the bad things.

Multiple disconnects, lost packets and reboots in the past 2 days.
    Modem few times just froze and would not reply to pings.

Vodafone Support think its a faulty modem and organized a replacement modem to be sent.

I quickly scanned this thread and saw people saying they are successfully using their own ASUS AC68U router, might resort to this option if replacement router won't fix my issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package). So would anyone know if Fibre-to-the-Home would be any more/worth my time looking into? 1GB showing available in my city with Digiweb and Vodafone, but I read Digiweb is the better option. Or is that what it's even called?

As for the installation, if we already have Fibre with Eir, would it mean anything else needs to be done besides self-installation? Is it expensive? I watched some video on Open Eir (what even is that?) and it looked VERY involved. They were hanging from power lines and digging up ground. I think FTTH is different than what I want, but I don't know what 1GB Fibre is called, compared to 100MB Fibre. Sorry to be confusing.

I live in a city though and the electric box is around the corner, so I'm not sure if that changes things... It's not very clear by any of these providers how it's distinguished from 'regular' Fibre.

Thanks in advance!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package).

It is so incredibly tiresome that this misconception has been allowed to take root and flourish.

You didn't have fibre with eir. You had copper with eir. So-called "efibre" or "fibre to the cabinet" is a DSL technology, and it has more in common with dialup than it does with fibre to the home - you could just as legitimately call dialup "fibre to the modem".

I've even seen a case where someone migrated from Sky "fibre" to another provider's VDSL, and complained that he didn't have fibre anymore.

I'm not giving out to you for being lied to. I'm giving out about all the companies that have lied to you, and continue to do so, with the full connivance of this country's regulators. In France, it's illegal to market something as "fibre" unless there's a strand of actual glass all the way to the premises. In Ireland, the ASAI has made it abundantly clear that they're perfectly OK with blatant lies.

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package). So would anyone know if Fibre-to-the-Home would be any more/worth my time looking into? 1GB showing available in my city with Digiweb and Vodafone, but I read Digiweb is the better option. Or is that what it's even called?

As for the installation, if we already have Fibre with Eir, would it mean anything else needs to be done besides self-installation? Is it expensive? I watched some video on Open Eir (what even is that?) and it looked VERY involved. They were hanging from power lines and digging up ground. I think FTTH is different than what I want, but I don't know what 1GB Fibre is called, compared to 100MB Fibre. Sorry to be confusing.

I live in a city though and the electric box is around the corner, so I'm not sure if that changes things... It's not very clear by any of these providers how it's distinguished from 'regular' Fibre.

Thanks in advance!

They have to get a new fibre cable into your home. Likely to involve drilling.

Most if not all ISPs are running promotions for SIRO currently. Prices are heavily discounted so it's a good time to buy if you want the service.

Digiweb is a 12 month contract with €49 activation fee.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/

Vodafone is an18 month contract. I am unsure if they have any additional charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/siro-gigabit-broadband.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

They have to get a new fibre cable into your home. Likely to involve drilling.

Most if not all ISPs are running promotions for SIRO currently. Prices are heavily discounted so it's a good time to buy if you want the service.

Digiweb is a 12 month contract with €49 activation fee.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/

Vodafone is an18 month contract. I am unsure if they have any additional charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/siro-gigabit-broadband.html

Thank you! I googled to try and find installation guides/videos but I was getting conflicting info and obviously rural location information. Glad to see it's not so difficult, or hopefully not...

50 euro is not bad at all. The same that VM would charge me for an engineer. for a subpar modem and service (in contrast). I can't wait to get in touch with Digiweb on Monday and hear from them. Thank you so much for this. Really reassured my decision/worry.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It is so incredibly tiresome that this misconception has been allowed to take root and flourish.

You didn't have fibre with eir. You had copper with eir. So-called "efibre" or "fibre to the cabinet" is a DSL technology, and it has more in common with dialup than it does with fibre to the home - you could just as legitimately call dialup "fibre to the modem".

I've even seen a case where someone migrated from Sky "fibre" to another provider's VDSL, and complained that he didn't have fibre anymore.

I'm not giving out to you for being lied to. I'm giving out about all the companies that have lied to you, and continue to do so, with the full connivance of this country's regulators. In France, it's illegal to market something as "fibre" unless there's a strand of actual glass all the way to the premises. In Ireland, the ASAI has made it abundantly clear that they're perfectly OK with blatant lies.

I appreciate all this information, it's very helpful. Maybe it's late and I should sleep (which I plan to do, but couldn't resist one last check for replies) but I want to highlight that your reply reads very pointed. Even with the 'not giving out to you' disclaimer.

Technically my house had fibre with Eir. That's what they call the service, so that's what I will too - to get the best answer for my question. Especially when the question highlights that I figure there's a difference between Eir's fibre and FTTH. I was just naming the service - not trying to pour Miracle Gro onto a misconception.

I may not be as knowledgeable as you on the matter, but I don't really enjoy being talked down to. I get that's likely not what you meant, but it reads patronising in parts. You can't just say all that stuff and shove in a 'none of this is directed at you', when it's a direct reply to my post. Wouldn't have read like a talking down if you had perhaps also taken time to answer any of my questions, instead of just taking my post as a chance to lecture.

My disclaimer: No hard feelings, but there's a way to share information without making the person feel like they're some fossil ringing up Eir's tech team asking how to send an email. Good night.

He wasn't talking down to you.

Eir calling VDSL fibre is a lie. That's a fact. And they should be prevented by law to do so.

It gives the wrong perspective, of what you're actually buying. You then referring to the same product as fibre again brings this misconception further to other people. It creates a ripple effect.

SIRO does however, apart from the piece of cat5 cable, that connects your router to the ONT, deliver true fibre all the way inside your home.

The funniest part of Eirs lie is, that it backfires for themselves. Because people, who don't know any better, can't see the difference from their "efibre" to the FTTH offerings. Apart from speed maybe. So when they try to upsell, that may not work out that well in the future for them.

/M

Yeah, there's the lying about 'unlimited' too. The regulators have lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thank you! I googled to try and find installation guides/videos but I was getting conflicting info and obviously rural location information. Glad to see it's not so difficult, or hopefully not...

50 euro is not bad at all. The same that VM would charge me for an engineer. for a subpar modem and service (in contrast). I can't wait to get in touch with Digiweb on Monday and hear from them. Thank you so much for this. Really reassured my decision/worry.

I appreciate all this information, it's very helpful. Maybe it's late and I should sleep (which I plan to do, but couldn't resist one last check for replies) but I want to highlight that your reply reads very pointed. Even with the 'not giving out to you' disclaimer.

Technically my house had fibre with Eir. That's what they call the service, so that's what I will too - to get the best answer for my question. Especially when the question highlights that I figure there's a difference between Eir's fibre and FTTH. I was just naming the service - not trying to pour Miracle Gro onto a misconception.

I may not be as knowledgeable as you on the matter, but I don't really enjoy being talked down to. I get that's likely not what you meant, but it reads patronising in parts. You can't just say all that stuff and shove in a 'none of this is directed at you', when it's a direct reply to my post. Wouldn't have read like a talking down if you had perhaps also taken time to answer any of my questions, instead of just taking my post as a chance to lecture.

My disclaimer: No hard feelings, but there's a way to share information without making the person feel like they're some fossil ringing up Eir's tech team asking how to send an email. Good night.

You were provided correct information in a non-confrontational manner and you chose to take offence.

That you intend to continue with the incorrect terminology says more about your attitude than anyone providing correct information to you of their own free will.

Hopefully you will reconsider your attitude after that sleep you so obviously needed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

SIRO have announced, that the Cork rollout is starting, including with 10000 premises in Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Blarney, Tower and Charleville.

The announcement can be found on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

SIRO have announced, that the Cork rollout is starting, including with 10000 premises in Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Blarney, Tower and Charleville.

The announcement can be found on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland

65,000 to be passed in Cork City.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    65,000 to be passed in Cork City.

Just wondering how that tallies with the original list.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91093561&postcount=320

Carrigtwohill, Blarney, Tower and Charleville weren't on the list. Midleton was, God love them. Seems like a big number for Cork City.

Carrigtwohill, Blarney, Tower and Charleville weren't on the list. Midleton was, God love them. Seems like a big number for Cork City.

A lot of the extra villages were only added internally in Q1/Q2 this year. That list you are referring to is 4 years old.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How can charleville be part of the Cork city roll out??

TheDriver wrote: »
    It isn't -they announced 5 new towns as well as Cork City.

It is because SIRO groups a couple of areas and hands them off to the providers in one lot.

It's the same for Sligo, which will include Roscommon, Longford, Carrick-on-Shannon under the same group.

Or Castlebar, which includes Westport and Claremorris.

Or West-Dublin, which includes Carrickmines (Clay Farm), Maynooth, Leixlip and Kilcock.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sorry, I thought they grouped charleville in Cork city.

Sorry, I thought they grouped charleville in Cork city.

It's not. It's not even on the radar. Carrigaline and Carrigtwohill are.

/M

Huawei are build contractor for Cork City. TLI are for Carrigtwohill and some of the other county towns.

In the city, Huawei have the design work more or less completed and all road opening licences (3,000 of them) in. ESB are doing "make ready" works. The build will commence in Q4 2018 and will take 3 years to complete.

They will have one point of interconnect in Kilbarry and the city network will have 9 sub substation POPs on a metro ring, serving 55 areas of the city. Certainly the biggest urban fibre access network in the history of the state. Exciting stuff.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Huawei are build contractor for Cork City. TLI are for Carrigtwohill and some of the other county towns.

In the city, Huawei have the design work more or less completed and all road opening licences (3,000 of them) in. ESB are doing "make ready" works. The build will commence in Q4 2018 and will take 3 years to complete.

They will have one point of interconnect in Kilbarry and the city network will have 9 sub substation POPs on a metro ring, serving 55 areas of the city. Certainly the biggest urban fibre access network in the history of the state. Exciting stuff.
    They did list Cork City from the outset years ago, but just wondering, given the size, whether this is a change of tack on their part to more out and out urban locations.

They did list Cork City from the outset years ago, but just wondering, given the size, whether this is a change of tack on their part to more out and out urban locations.

Well, I think it a few factors are at play:

1) big pond, big sales, big return
    2) out of NBP, resources to spare
    3) REALLY stick it to Openeir

Xavier Neil will not be happy, as he has to plough on with low-density while a competitor beats him to deploying FTTH in the second city. It really is a very significant rollout for SIRO. Sh#ts in Virgin's bed too, big time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

This article in the paper about the Cork rollout was very interesting to me cause I live in the said Northside! The wait begins :)

Northside of city will see Siro plan first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

So, I had 2 engineers from Actavo call today to install the Fiber as agreed by Vodafone only to be told after about 5 minutes that they can't install it today as there is no sub-duct exposed to my house, despite being told by Vodafone everything is good to go.

So SIRO now have to call and do more digging in order to get this sorted - according to the Actavo engineers.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm in the Limerick city area.

kao123 wrote: »
    So, I had 2 engineers from Actavo call today to install the Fiber as agreed by Vodafone only to be told after about 5 minutes that they can't install it today as there is no sub-duct exposed to my house, despite being told by Vodafone everything is good to go.

So SIRO now have to call and do more digging in order to get this sorted - according to the Actavo engineers.

That can happen. The providers only have limited data on what's on site. It's SIRO that makes the decision, if a premise is passed or not.

Some premises are "ducted", but "no survey", so things can crop up.

I wouldn't worry about this. SIRO takes ownership of whatever issues there are and will see it through to get you a connection.

/M

That can happen. The providers only have limited data on what's on site. It's SIRO that makes the decision, if a premise is passed or not.

Some premises are "ducted", but "no survey", so things can crop up.

I wouldn't worry about this. SIRO takes ownership of whatever issues there are and will see it through to get you a connection.

/M

I've no doubt I will get connected, the whole day off work thing and another 2 - 4 weeks for SIRO to correct what was not done is the issue.

Omitting the other parties SIRO and Actavo, Vodafone are the sellers of the product and they advise that all is good to go and it will take 40 mins to be connected, so they are at fault really.

My neighbor is expecting a similar install tomorrow so he now has no idea if he is going to connected or not.

I've no doubt I will get connected, the whole day off work thing and another 2 - 4 weeks for SIRO to correct what was not done is the issue.

Omitting the other parties SIRO and Actavo, Vodafone are the sellers of the product and they advise that all is good to go and it will take 40 mins to be connected, so they are at fault really.

My neighbor is expecting a similar install tomorrow so he now has no idea if he is going to connected or not.

Erhm .. I don't know what porky pies the sales man told you. Here a few facts:

- an average SIRO installation is 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. At least that's what you should calculate with. IF !! it's ducted. An overhead installation requires multiple visits by several crews and can take a month (due to Actavo not being allowed to work on power lines).
    - I don't know, how you'd be the entire day of work, when you can pick AM or PM for your installation.
    - There are way too many factors, that can go wrong, that you can expect to get the installation done the first time around.

If the fiber was there and it was already installed and the ONT was in place, then sure. But if the fiber first has to be brought in, then there's no way that's going to happen. Common sense would have dictated, that murphys law is something that can happen.

/M

Erhm .. I don't know what porky pies the sales man told you. Here a few facts:

- an average SIRO installation is 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. At least that's what you should calculate with. IF !! it's ducted. An overhead installation requires multiple visits by several crews and can take a month (due to Actavo not being allowed to work on power lines).
    - I don't know, how you'd be the entire day of work, when you can pick AM or PM for your installation.
    - There are way too many factors, that can go wrong, that you can expect to get the installation done the first time around.

If the fiber was there and it was already installed and the ONT was in place, then sure. But if the fiber first has to be brought in, then there's no way that's going to happen. Common sense would have dictated, that murphys law is something that can happen.

/M

Vodafone offered a service, I accepted.. delays and the correct facilities/infrastructre being put in place should not really my concern when ordering a product or service, the service provider should.

I was first given an engineer arrival time of between 09:00 and 13:00, I got a phone call at 12:57 to advise this has changed to between 13:00 and 18:00 - hence the full day off work.

If you are in the know about what kind of delays and obstacles are going to cause issues and put up with them as they arise that's well and fine, however I expect at the very least they would have these sorted before offering the service, they have surely done enough installs at this stage.

I appreciate your advice but this is directed at SIRO/Vodafone

I appreciate your advice but this is directed at SIRO/Vodafone

There are 8 providers on the SIRO platform. Vodafone is only one of them. The list is here: https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

Your situation is basically, that Vodafone didn't get you the right information and/or didn't keep you in the loop.

You might want to raise that in their support forum here: https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

But your situation above, apart from the late notice of change of your appointment, is not that bad. That could have been a whole lot worse, if you had to deal with another network.

/M

There are 8 providers on the SIRO platform. Vodafone is only one of them. The list is here: https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

Your situation is basically, that Vodafone didn't get you the right information and/or didn't keep you in the loop.

You might want to raise that in their support forum here: https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

But your situation above, apart from the late notice of change of your appointment, is not that bad. That could have been a whole lot worse, if you had to deal with another network.

/M

Vodafone did advise that my property is 100% ready for their service, so I guess according to them they did give correct info, if there are multiple providers involved it's not really something I have to deal with, my dealings are with Vodafone who offered a service they can't provide.

I do think it is that bad from a customer perspective, they set an expectation they failed to meet.

But not as bad as this - https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057891688/1#post107980118

I have already taken it up with them and we shall see what happens.
    I posted on here to see if anyone else had / is having similar issues.

if there are multiple providers involved

No. You read that wrong. There is SIRO .... and then there are 8 providers.

Vodafone is one of them, which is what you went with.

What experience you get is down to the provider that you pick. And I already outlined in my first post, that Vodafone had no way of knowing, if your premise was 100% ready unless it was pre-installed. So if they told you that, then they gave you wrong information.

They don't get that detail of information from SIRO. All they are told by SIRO is that the premise is ready for connection and how it's going to be connected. No less, no more. And when I say ready for connection, that means that the fibre network outside the premise is live. That's all.

So either they gave you wrong information or you misunderstood them.

If the premise is yet not installed, then there is no way of knowning, what challenges may arise. For any of the providers.

/M

• Advertisement

There was no misunderstanding on my part, I was offered 1Gb fibre broadband from Vodafone, I was advised that my home was 100% ready and the installation would take no more than 40 minutes (I am very close to the source box).

Ready to avail of this service is what I was told, not ready for connection so based on that information I made my choice.

The fact is they offer a service without advising there may be additional work which is not mentioned anywhere.

You are well informed and up to date on the possible setbacks and potential delays, not all of us are.

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

There was no misunderstanding on my part, I was offered 1Gb fibre broadband from Vodafone, I was advised that my home was 100% ready and the installation would take no more than 40 minutes (I am very close to the source box).

Ready to avail of this service is what I was told, not ready for connection so based on that information I made my choice.

The fact is they offer a service without advising there may be additional work which is not mentioned anywhere.

You are well informed and up to date on the possible setbacks and potential delays, not all of us are.

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Yes other people have had issues. Some have not. It is unfortunately a reality that when dealing with old infrastructure that was never built with broadband in mind, you will sometimes run into such issues.

I agree with you that this should be made clearer to potential customers on ordering but I suppose certain ISPs may err on not overwhelming customers with information for fear of losing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

I'm very interested in these latest posts re SIRO versus Vodafone.
    I can say its nigh on impossible to get Vodafone to give you information. You're dealing with Sales people who don't have a clue when it comes down to the nitty gritty. They are there to sell you a product.
    Vodafone technical people are almost impossible to contact.
    I was in discussion with Vodafone over a letter I received which gave me totally erroneous information - this was agreed by a representative of Vodafone. The letter was supposed to be directed to people who were on total copper internet as against fibre to the control box and copper to the house.
    I'm interested in upgrading but I'm in dread of having to deal with crap information.
    I need Vodafone to answer a few questions and they can't do that over the phone. They say the 'Engineer' on the day of an installation will answer all my queries. That to me is useless.
    Is there any Vodafone Technical people looking at this forum I wonder?

thehamok wrote: »
    I'm very interested in these latest posts re SIRO versus Vodafone.
    I can say its nigh on impossible to get Vodafone to give you information. You're dealing with Sales people who don't have a clue when it comes down to the nitty gritty. They are there to sell you a product.
    Vodafone technical people are almost impossible to contact.
    I was in discussion with Vodafone over a letter I received which gave me totally erroneous information - this was agreed by a representative of Vodafone. The letter was supposed to be directed to people who were on total copper internet as against fibre to the control box and copper to the house.
    I'm interested in upgrading but I'm in dread of having to deal with crap information.
    I need Vodafone to answer a few questions and they can't do that over the phone. They say the 'Engineer' on the day of an installation will answer all my queries. That to me is useless.
    Is there any Vodafone Technical people looking at this forum I wonder?

No there are no Vodafone people here, at least none who are going to identify themselves publicly.

You'd think Vodafone, which is such a big organisation, would like to be on the ball and answer questions fairly and not hide behind the Sales Staff.

You'd think Vodafone, which is such a big organisation, would like to be on the ball and answer questions fairly and not hide behind the Sales Staff.

They do have a Talk To forum, I think I've seen you post there.

However there are lots of knowledgeable posters here so if you wish to post your questions I'm sure they will try to answer them if possible.

Navi, thanks. What I find is conflicting information even from Vodafone.
    Telephones are one of these problems, some people say you must have a compatible IP or VOIP phone while others say no you don't.
    I'm one of those people who don't like surprises when it comes down to getting something new. I like to research it to make sure when and if I get something new I know its going to work without additional problems or worries.
    There is also a difference of opinion as to where 'they' put the control box. Some say they'll put it at the nearest power point while others say they'll put it where the customer needs it. Perhaps its a different installation crews do their own thing.

Telephones are one of these problems, some people say you must have a compatible IP or VOIP phone while others say no you don't.
    I'm one of those people who don't like surprises when it comes down to getting something new. I like to research it to make sure when and if I get something new I know its going to work without additional problems or worries.
    There is also a difference of opinion as to where 'they' put the control box. Some say they'll put it at the nearest power point while others say they'll put it where the customer needs it. Perhaps its a different installation crews do their own thing.

You definitely do not need an IP or VoIP phone.

As for the location of the box I'll leave that to someone who has had the service installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Had Siro installed 2 weeks ago in Kilkenny.
    Ordered from Digiweb and was installed 6 days later.
    2 guys from Actavo arrived 5 mins after stated time.
    Were really nice to talk to and installed upstairs on landing exactly where I wanted it.
    Did a really neat job tacking the cable up the gable end wall from the outdoor power box.
    Install took just under 2 hours.
    Really happy with install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭salnado

I had the service installed by Actavo on behalf of Vodafone yesterday in Carrigaline in Cork and can comment on my experience:

Phone - You can use your existing phone. Mine is more than 10 years old...about 5 minutes after the install was complete I got a text from Vodafone saying my number was ported to VOIP (previously was Vodafone over copper/FTTC). I plugged the phone out of the copper socket and into the back of the new modem and had a dial tone instantly.

Location: My copper master socket was at the end of the hallway and a convenient location for the router and the phone but an awkward location to get to from the ESB box. Despite that the Actavo guys worked out a route. They ran fibre externally to outside the utility room, mounted the ONT (fibre to ethernet converter) in the utility room (it needs power) and then ran an ethernet cable through two walls to get to the hall so that I could have the router and phone where I wanted it. It all took nearly 3 hours, which considering this is for a faster service at a lower price, is good service.

Advertisement