Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ...no wussy stuff....
    nice run DD,,,and an even nicer highway name:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I take a break from here for a couple of days and come back to find that not only are you eating hills for breakfast, you're eating giant dogs and physios too;)

Dory Dory, Warrior Princess:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

ultraman1 wrote: »
    nice run DD,,,and an even nicer highway name:)

Ah, ultraman, you've come for your Dark Side membership card I see. ;)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I take a break from here for a couple of days and come back to find that not only are you eating hills for breakfast, you're eating giant dogs and physios too;)

Dory Dory, Warrior Princess:D

Marthastew, World Ranked Ultra Goddess!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ah, ultraman, you've come for your Dark Side membership card I see.
    i get a daily pass the odd time just to ease my self in, like an unwanted roommate;)

The Shiny New Runners Session

Plan: 8 miles easy

With all the weathermen east of the Mississippi predicting freezing rain and up to 12 inches of snow starting at 2pm today for our area, I didn't bother to pack my running gear today. I had resigned myself to a treadie session, and when, at 5:30 this evening, the heavens had yet to give up a single drop of moisture as I left work, I still settled on doing tonight's session on the treadie.

As a little bonus tonight, I decided to break out a brand new pair of runners that I've had squirreled away for months with the idea that I might use them for Boston. In a word....love them! ;) They felt cushy and springy. Slightly tight around the sides, but with an adjustment here and some wear there, I think they'll be a top contender to be my ride on the big day. And, if it couldn't get any better, they are multicolor, including purple and blue - my two favorite colors. :D

Tonight's treadie session was good. Just kept it at a nice easy pace, but did fiddle with the incline - 1% for miles 1 and 2, 2% for miles 3 and 4, 3% for miles 5 and 6, 4% for miles 7 and 8. I forgot to wear my thigh compression sleeves, and I must admit I could feel some pull/pain in my left leg starting about halfway through, so I guess I really do need to keep wearing them....and I may have to consider wearing them at Boston.

Iced tonight's cake with some love to the upper body (and physio reassured me last night that my upper body is not scrawny, just underutilized compared to my lower body) and love to the abs.

Actual: 8 miles easy on the treadie, upper body, abs

• Advertisement

Acclimating the Body for the Rigors and Demands of What's to Come ;)

Plan: 10 miles steady

It's Wednesday....there's 15 inches of gorgeous snow outside...and this session was done treadie style in my warm basement with the usual suspects in attendance - Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Papa Roach, Rob Zombie, Hinder, Seether, Metallica and Foo Fighters, to name a few. Girl had an audience of long haired, tattooed rockers for this one. ;)

In a nutshell - did all 10 miles at a steady 8 min/mile pace, but varied the incline as follows:
    Miles 1-5, 1%
    Mile 6, 2%
    Mile 7, 1%
    Mile 8, 3%
    Mile 9, 1%
    Mile 10, 4%

The 1% miles were fine - nice and relaxed - and the 2, 3, 4% miles were fine too, but I would say they were increasingly comfortably uncomfortable....and I liked the fact that they were just on the outside of my comfort zone because that gave me a chance to expose the body and mind for a few miles to a place I will want to be on the big day - teetering slightly on the exciting edge of unknown territory. I was a little low on fuel today, so I indulged in a little shot blok action to keep me happy and humming. Worked a treat...especially when all 6 bloks kicked in just as Jack White dove into the crowd-of-one favorite, "I'm Shakin'". Buzzin' and shakin'.....I was a happy camper. :D

Good session overall. I added a 2 mile cool down after the 10 steady miles as I've become a believer in these easy miles following a session to gently bring the body down and get it to a good place after an intense and physically taxing (and sweaty) workout. :)

Actual: 12 miles - 10 miles at 8min/mile at various inclines as stated above, 2 mile cool down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I love your descriptions of your training sessions, makes great reading. I need to start working on mine :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I love your descriptions of your training sessions, makes great reading. I need to start working on mine :D

It's due to a cocktail of endorphins and shot bloks, sprinkled with a little fantasy of escape, and aided by the mood of the music. Simple! ;):):D

No Elaboration For This One

Plan: 6 miles easy

I assume it was the combination of last night's session still in the body, lack of restful sleep recently, and not enough groceries consumed the last two days....but this one got a little weird.....and I'm not really going to revisit it other than to say I pushed through the strangeness while being preoccupied with thoughts about Gatorade and shot bloks. :o:confused: Is this what I've become? So as my punishment :confused:, I ate an extra large portion of dinner tonight. :)

Followed the 6 easy miles on the treadmill with a little attention to the upper body and abs. Upper body isn't too bad, but these abs have a long way to go.

Actual: 6 miles easy on the treadmill, upper body, abs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

:confused:

Well if you're not going to elaborate on the weirdness, we'll just have to imagine what happened.

I reckon you stapled puppies to the treadmill mat and ran on a yelping mass of blood-soaked fur. Shame on you DD.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    :confused:

Well if you're not going to elaborate on the weirdness, we'll just have to imagine what happened.

I reckon you stapled puppies to the treadmill mat and ran on a yelping mass of blood-soaked fur. Shame on you DD.

:eek:
    OMG! KURT!! Whoa....and i thought i had an overactive imagination. Sheesh!

No, i can assure you it was nothing like that. It had more to do with some dizzy spells that started around 2.5 miles into it....and how that made me feel. Sort of one of those "you had to be there" moments. I'm sure you, of all people, have had a few of those. ;)

:eek:
    OMG! KURT!! Whoa....and i thought i had an overactive imagination. Sheesh!

No, i can assure you it was nothing like that. It had more to do with some dizzy spells that started around 2.5 miles into it....and how that made me feel. Sort of one of those "you had to be there" moments. I'm sure you, of all people, have had a few of those. ;)

Thought it might be. Dizzy spells, difficulty sleeping, posting here at 5am... just be aware they are signs of overtraining. Not that thats necessarily a danger or anything, but for someone as focussed as yourself, no harm in being aware of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^what he said on the dizzy spells. That started with me last September, and I ignored it, and am now full blown wrecked. Be careful with it.

As for you, Kurt. I used to worry about what went on in that wee head of yours. Now, I'm freaking scared. Puppies? Staples? Treadmill? Here, just put one arm in the nice white jacket, now the other, good boy... let me strap it up for you.....

I'm struggling to think past the mental imagery of being strapped down and restrained by Oryx, but if (both of) you have a free moment later you might google iron supplements for distance running (if you're not already taking them). As the milage increases, iron levels decrease (in part through heel striking, believe it or not), and this is often a cause of dizziness.

Obviously this advice is worth what my PhD in Medicine is worth, but I haven't seen it discussed here yet.

FWIW I just got bloods done, at the moment my iron level is fine, but I did take a supplement at the worst of the dizzy stage and it seemed to help. My doctor reckons B12 is one to watch too (and it doesnt absorb orally).

Now back in your cage, boy. *thwack!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yes, and women are particularly susceptible.
    Over in the serious forum, claralara, jcsmum, and me have all had low iron levels, and there are probably plenty more who just haven't been tested

I started taking an iron supplement on a regular basis a few months ago after checking my red blood cells in house (we have a hematocrit machine in our animal clinic) and they were slightly low end of normal. I know, not exactly the same as going to the doctor's for a complete screening, but...

I think the two biggest contributors to last night's light-headedness were sleep and food. Not been sleeping well, and didn't eat enough Wednesday and Thursday. I don't feel i'm overtraining - training feels spot on - i think it's sleep and calories. I will try and rememdy both of those post haste!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Ha! I love that you did a doggy RBC count! were the numbers low for humans? ;)

Sleep and food seem like the nicest remedies ever... enjoy.

Ha! I love that you did a doggy RBC count! were the numbers low for humans? ;)

Sleep and food seem like the nicest remedies ever... enjoy.

wildrhubarb!! :D Girl, you gotta start logging here!! ;)

Yeah, kind of funny that I checked my red cells on our machine, but it's a human machine, I just had to look up the normal range for an adult female. My red cells were at 36/37ish...which is the low end of normal. At the time I checked them, I was feeling soooo fatigued. Since I've been taking iron, eating more red meat, and consuming less crap I feel soooo much better. Now you've got me curious what my count is now. Hmmm....may have to draw a little blood and check them this evening when I go back to the clinic.

"The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" ~Timbuk3

Wow. Was it bright outside today!! Holy crap, this was a retina-burning, cataract-causing, sun-reflecting-off-the-snow kind of situation out there today. Blinding, in other words, and I did not think to snag my cycling glasses when I was packing my running gear at 6:30 this morning....so....my only option when I was ready to hit the streets at 10:00 from the clinic was to don my very fashionable and very glamorous Vera Bradley midnight blue "Floral Nightingale" aviator sunglasses. :cool: Running never looked so designer! ;)

The run....the run....well....as per my M.O., the first 4 miles were way, way, wayyyyy too fast for an easy run. (8:01, 8:06, 7:57, 8:05) In my defense, I was operating on fresh legs since Friday evenings consist of no running, no cooking, a glass of Pinot Grigio, and some good old fashioned hockey....and it just felt good. Plus, the first 4 miles of this particular circuit are comparatively easier than the last 4 miles.

The next four miles were slower in part because: A) I knew I needed to slow down....B) this section was in town and contained some technically difficult maneuvers due to the winter wonderland obstacle course that was left behind by snow plows and half assed attempts at sidewalk shoveling.....C) I hit every red light and had to stop at way too many intersections for blasted vehicles on this way too busy Saturday morning (don't normal people sleep in any more? :mad:)....D) I slipped on ice while standing still waiting to cross the street and bruised my left cheek (how does that happen?? while standing still?? :confused:)....and, E) had to face my nemesis 1 mile long hill that I now laugh in the face of on mile 6, but I kept it super relaxed today. 8:24, 8:52, 8:30, 8:42, 5:40 (8:20)

Decent run overall....but I can't wait to start shedding some of these layers of clothes! Wearing so many certainly can't be good for you!! And speaking of not wearing many clothes....pool officially opens April 18, or have I mentioned that already. :D

Actual: 8.68 miles in 1:12:20 for an average pace of 8:20 min/mile

• Advertisement

And speaking of not wearing many clothes....pool officially opens April 18, or have I mentioned that already. :D

Thank the stars for that. There's only so many times a chap can listen to you pondering why your too-fast easy miles still feel real easy (stock answer: you've improved!). Gonna have us some sexy pool numbers chat here real soon, I'm a-counting down the days;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thank the stars for that. There's only so many times a chap can listen to you pondering why your too-fast easy miles still feel real easy (stock answer: you've improved!). Gonna have us some sexy pool numbers chat here real soon, I'm a-counting down the days;)

Nah she is taking up aqua running :cool: We need some way to slow down those easy miles :D

The "ohmygodsweetjesusholycrapstickaforkinmei'mdone" Session :eek:

Plan: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at MP with 3 minute recovery

This was tough. Tougher than I anticipated. Ugh! If anyone was wondering where my mental and physical limits were, on this particular day, this was it.

Pertinent data:
    Gorgeous day....40 some degrees when I set sail, 50 some degrees when I finished.....a bit of a breeze, but not too bad....kept to the east end of town because of the snow/ice/traffic/narrow roads on the west end....did the worst hills during the 5 and 4 mile sets.....stretched the middle two recovery periods to 3:20/3:30.....jogged/walked/stretched the legs during the recovery period...had to stop twice very briefly for traffic when crossing the road....carried a small bottle of water in each hand....consumed 6 shot bloks....had my iPod to assist me.....was very glad when this was over. :)

Not too much else to say, really. Not sure how happy I am with today's session (I know, that's crazy...but...) because of the effort it took me to do this. I honestly (and very naively, I guess) thought I'd sail through the 3, 2, and 1 mile sets and had grand visions of sun-shiney-day feelings on those miles. Instead, I had to dig for what I got. Any way....paces as follows:

7:39, 7:55, 7:47, 7:37, 7:41
    7:47, 7:52, 7:51, 7:48
    7:51, 7:40, 7:35
    7:44, 7:44
    7:31

I was a mile from my car when I finished the last MP mile, so I stopped, guzzled the last of my water (I was very thirsty), then jogged it home at a very lovely 9:43 min/mile pace. I don't think I've ever been so glad to have a session in the books as I was today. Whew!! :o;):eek::):D

Actual: 16.7 miles in 2:18:49 for an average pace of 8:17 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good session there! It'll definitely stand to you :cool:

Recovery, old people, and my arse

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Did this quickie-style over lunch. ;)

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadie

And in other news.....:D

Dear sweet Mrs. Dougans (older lady/widow with the very red lipstick (that's not always just on her lips) who I see on the Greenway when I'm running and who calls me Pocohantis and/or Gazelle (depending on the setting I see her in) and thinks I'm just the best!) came into the clinic today with her little pooch Rufus. Well, she may be old and not very proficient at lipstick application, but she remembered I'm doing Boston and was all whipped up with excitement about it and said to me in front of several people in the lobby very matter of factly...."well, you are going to come in first, right?". Oh my, she just makes me smile. :)

And....in yet other news....

Tonight's physio session featured a good old fashioned @ss stripping. :eek: If you have had the <cough, cough> pleasure of experiencing one of these, then you know what I'm talking about....and if you haven't, then just use your imagination and you've probably got it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

... as for you, miss #17074, in Wave 2, Corral 9, it's on.......
    It's gonna be awesome....

Having Fresh Legs Is A Beautiful Thing :D

Whoop, whoop!! This was a delightful run - gorgeous sun shiny 55 degree evening with a wind that only made the whole experience all that much more exciting. And one of the best things about it was I got to shed layers. Can I hear an "amen" from the folks in the back pew? Clothes are definitely overrated. ;)

Down to business now. <clears throat> No, I will neither apologize nor make excuses for this run. (you listening Kurt?) This run was supposed to be easy, and, other than pushing on the hills because I aspire to be worthy of the King of the Mountain polka dot jersey, it was. Period. I just let the legs do what they felt like, kept the body relaxed, and enjoyed the rush of the ride....and it was delightful. I could sit here and analyze it and compare it to last Sunday's run where the effort seemed much higher than this evening's run....and I could even speculate about how I might capitalize on this run and use it to knock an upcoming gut wrenching 14 mile MP run out of the park, but I won't. Instead, I'll just give a few notable moments...

- there were no cars in the 7-11 parking lot, which is a first for me.
    - I was busy yakking to a friend as I passed him outside Uncle Buck's (bar/restaurant) and didn't see I had entered a work zone and went crashing into the yellow work zone tape. :o No animals were harmed in the making of that moment. ;)
    - nearly tripped over an empty bottle of Jack Daniels Black Label that had been tossed out and was laying in my path. Damn alchie litterers!! :mad:
    - enjoyed a perfectly synched chorus of "whoop whoop" with a crazy girlfriend as she passed me in her car. :D

Okay...I'm feeling good. If I could just bottle this.....

Actual: 8.74 miles in 1:09:12 for an average pace of 7:55 min/mile
    7:52, 8:02, 7:38, 7:51, 8:03, 8:04, 7:48, 8:04, 5:48 (7:52)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Everything looking good in here, Boston will not know whats hit it.

Please bottle it. And sell it. To us pale grey irish folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    Please bottle it. And sell it. To us pale grey irish folk.

Should that not be the other way round, with us selling the snake oil to our wealthy gullible American cousins?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

BTH wrote: »
    Should that not be the other way round, with us selling the snake oil to our wealthy gullible American cousins?? :D

But isn't that how Longford was brought out of the wilderness ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

interested wrote: »
    But isn't that how Longford was brought out of the wilderness ? ;)

Longford was brought out of the wilderness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

RayCun wrote: »
    Longford was brought out of the wilderness?

This was going to be my response as well.

Corresponding and Competing Forces

Plan: 2 miles easy, then 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1 (MP/E), then 2 miles easy

Dory to Ecoli earlier in the day: "right, so....I will be targeting 7:45 to 7:50 min/mile for MP in this evening's session." Famous last words.... :D:o

Ohhhh-kayyyy....
    I'm not sure why I even bother to explain sometimes....things just happen. Basically, the wind and the hills tried to push me around, and I pushed right back. At least that's how it started. Quick synopsis....

First "MP" mile was uphill and I ate it alive...second "MP" mile was into the wind and I shoved through it....and then at that point, the tone had been unintentionally set, and there you go. Whoop whoop? Speaking of the wind...it was insane! Crazy insane! Telephone pole swaying insane! I made sure I did all the hard hills in my "MP" miles so there would be no slacking...and I allowed myself to cruise at a leisurely pace on the easy miles. The thorn-in-my-side hill was conquered into the wind on the fifth "MP" mile, and it was understandably my slowest of the six. It wasn't until I checked my watch at the conclusion of the sixth "MP" mile that I realized I had goofed - I had forgotten the second warm up mile at the beginning of the session! Ugh. Soooo....I just did what any good student would do to please the teacher, I added it to the end of the session. :)

Here's the lowdown: I felt good....had my new shoes on....legs wanted to get the crud blown off them....I let them be happy. Whoop whoop? I think I'll consult the coach.... :o;)

"MP" paces:
    7:19, 7:17
    7:29, 7:27
    7:37, 7:13

Actual: 13 miles in 1:50:54 for an average pace of 8:30 min/mile

You have the wrong set of MP miles in inverted comma's, otherwise, yes, whoop whoop! Great going:)

• Advertisement

The Backside...

Plan: 4 miles recovery

I was shocked when I saw this on the plan last night - 4 miles recovery on a Thursday night. OMG, does that mean we're getting close?? :eek: Taper doesn't start for another 10 days, but I guess this marks the beginning of the end. Wow. 20 out of 24 weeks of an awesome training plan almost in the books. :)

I did this on my trusty treadie in the comfort of my no-wind-zone, warm-and-comfy basement. Incline at 1% and the pace was s-l-o-w. Legs were creaky and achy at the beginning, no doubt the result of the past two nights' spiffy paces...but the creak and the ache vanished after about a mile and all was well with the world again. :D

Followed up the treadie trot with extra attention to both the upper body and the abs. Abs really need some work - summer (and the pool) are near!

Actual: 4 recovery miles on the treadie, upper body, abs

Damp, dark and drizzly

The mood was dictated by the weather which then dictated the approach and the mindset. This was just a quiet run without my Garmin in the morning rain. I probably thought more about how intimately I know this route than I worried about my pace - I decided that I know every crack and crevice in every sidewalk...I can tell you precisely where every depression or jut is in the pavement....I can warn you well in advance when you are approaching a branch or limb that is hanging dangerously low in the path...and I can anticipate every pole, trash can, bench, or sign that creates a bit of an obstacle for me. Yawn....zzzzzzz.....this was a bit boring, if you must know the truth.

As indicated above, the first 4 miles were a bit like a dirge, but the spirits were lifted and things definitely got peppier after I bumped into and then was distracted by amusing thoughts of one of our local misfits, Roy Miller, who, after his mom and dad had passed, sold (yes, sold!) their bodies to a mortuary school for the students to practice embalming on. I think he only got a couple hundred bucks for each body, but hey, that was a couple of hundred dollars he didn't have in his pocket before he sold them. Plus, he probably saved on having to pay for funeral expenses, and he isn't tied down by obligatory visits to their graves. He may be shrewder than he looks. ;)

Any way...back to me. I forgot to wear my thigh compression sleeves and I could really feel this one in my injured (but recovering) left hams/glutes. I'm not sure I'll be able to leave the sleeves home when I go to Boston, but truth be told I'd really rather not wear them. Other than that, pace was slow but increasing with each mile, and I think I'm in a good place. Would like to lose 1 or 2 more pounds in the next 4 weeks, but if that doesn't happen it won't be the end of my world as I can't start skipping or skimping on meals at the risk of losing strength and energy. Tomorrow is 16 miles steady, so tonight's task will be to decide what route I want to tackle.

Actual: ~8.7 miles about town in I have no idea how long and couldn't care less at what pace

Tomorrow is 16 miles steady, so tonight's task will be to decide what route I want to tackle.

Here's another task for tonight- what pace will you do the steady 16-miler in tomorrow, and why that pace? Genuine question, and I'm looking for a number rather than a whole load of words:)

Here's another task for tonight- what pace will you do the steady 16-miler in tomorrow, and why that pace? Genuine question, and I'm looking for a number rather than a whole load of words:)

Ah...now you've brought me out of my funk. :D

Are you sure you don't want a whole load of my poetic and sometimes confusing words? Boo. But in a nutshell, I've been instructed to do steady pace at 20 to 30 seconds slower that PMP....so I will say that at this very moment sitting on my couch writing to you I will target an average pace of 8:10 to 8:30. And that's all I'm saying. ;):):D

Ah...now you've brought me out of my funk. :D

Are you sure you don't want a whole load of my poetic and sometimes confusing words? Boo. But in a nutshell, I've been instructed to do steady pace at 20 to 30 seconds slower that PMP....so I will say that at this very moment sitting on my couch writing to you I will target an average pace of 8:10 to 8:30. And that's all I'm saying. ;):):D

A well-defined average pace has been stated; I can't ask for more than that, cheers and good luck tomorrow. The poetry and verbose confusion we all look forward to reading after your run :)

• Advertisement

Oopsie!

Plan: 16 miles steady

Hello, my name is Dory Dory and I am both undisciplined and stubborn.

Well....this run turned into a progression run instead of the intended steady run at 8:10 to 8:30 min/mile pace. :confused: But I guess I never really believed I'd leave the pace where it was supposed to be if I was feeling good. And also, the route dictated a bit of the pace as well...as did the huge @ss 180+ pound Great Dane that came bounding out of the garage with his 20 pound fluffy sidekick in tow to rip me to shreds on mile 4. Dammit!! Same dog that charged me a few weeks ago, but this time he got within an arm's length of me and was much more daring than last time. The owner very nonchalantly called him off, but I let him know I was pissed. My mace was at the ready.....one step closer and BAM! I just need to keep the direction of the wind in mind.

I felt really sluggish at the outset of this run - might have been the wine I indulged in last night with some friends, but I really felt like I was struggling right up until the time of my adrenaline releasing dog encounter, and then things got a good bit better and easier. The weather was crap for this one - cold and windy with a mixture of rain and snow falling, but I was dressed appropriately so no worries in that regard. Other tidbits to note: the first 8 miles were nice ups and downs.....mile 9 was mostly uphill at various grades, so understandably slower....mile 10 was mostly downhill at corresponding various falls, so understandably faster....had a Garmin malfunction on mile 11 so I had to stop for several minutes to sort that out....miles 11 through 15 were done on predominantly flat ground, so understandably I felt very strong on those miles.

I did not set out to do this run as a progression, and it wasn't really until after I hit mile 10 that I started to play the game of "I must make the next mile even faster than the last otherwise it will look like I'm dying and mean that I suck". So...I dug in and made each mile faster. When I saw on mile 14 that my split was 7:01, I made myself a little deal. I told myself that if I could make mile 15 a sub 7 min/mile, then I'd reward myself with a cool down on mile 16 and a shortcut through grass, gravel, dangerous highway and crazy hills to get myself home. Job done. :)

Splits:
    8:14, 7:57, 7:52, 7:32, 7:50, 7:47, 7:45, 7:48
    8:10, 7:25, 7:25, 7:17, 7:15, 7:01, 6:50, 8:48, 3:07 (8:11)

Actual: 16.4 miles in 2:06:11 for an average pace of 7:42 mim/mile

Unasked for advice, FWIW; you're pretty undisciplined when it comes to pacing. Bags of talent, oodles of enthusiasm- but maybe lacking in the self restraint required to hold the pace steady when you're feeling good in the marathon first 16 miles. Perhaps something to consider.

Unasked for advice, FWIW; you're pretty undisciplined when it comes to pacing. Bags of talent, oodles of enthusiasm- but maybe lacking in the self restraint required to hold the pace steady when you're feeling good in the marathon first 16 miles. Perhaps something to consider.

Already considered. It will be in the forefront of my mind on the day as it is one of my weaknesses that I am keenly aware of. I am hoping to have a pacing/race strategy written out, and then at appropriate times within the race, have a few options based on how I'm feeling. Thanks.

Already considered. It will be in the forefront of my mind on the day as it is one of my weaknesses that I am keenly aware of. I am hoping to have a pacing/race strategy written out, and then at appropriate times within the race, have a few options based on how I'm feeling. Thanks.

Yeah, sorry for harping on about it all the time. The easier thing to do would just be to say "great job!" on that blistering 7:42 average for 16 miles, but the issue remains that you missed (yet again) another pace-based session. Ideally your MP should be firmly established at this point in time.

(PS Great job on that bistering 7:42 average;))

Yeah, sorry for harping on about it all the time. The easier thing to do would just be to say "great job!" on that blistering 7:42 average for 16 miles, but the issue remains that you missed (yet again) another pace-based session. Ideally your MP should be firmly established at this point in time.

(PS Great job on that bistering 7:42 average;))

Ouch. :(

I think I will send myself to my room now and think about what I've done. ;)

Ouch. I feel like I've just disappointed someone I didn't want to disappoint. :(

I think I will send myself to my room now and think about what I've done. ;)

No, far from it! Your pace is fantastic, just it'd be a shame to see something go astray at this stage because you didn't stick to a controlled marathon pace on race day. Running faster than your intended pace seems to be second nature to you. If you can do that for 26 miles, all my clucking will have been unwarranted.

Four Weeks!!!!

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

And the drumroll please......

Actual: A quick and dirty 20 minutes easy peasy on the treadie over lunch

Physio tonight. All is well. Full body this time. Boy he's going to miss my money me when Boston training is over. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Boy he's going to miss my money when Boston training is over. ;)

Ha... don't you know yet ? It doesn't work like that. It's easier to get off crack ! You're going to live to regret showing him up !

Catching up, I'm with Kurt. Last few miles of Boston is time enough to go sub planned pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Looking' forward to a summer of chocolate and swimming?! :D

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ha... don't you know yet ? It doesn't work like that. It's easier to get off crack ! You're going to live to regret showing him up !

Catching up, I'm with Kurt. Last few miles of Boston is time enough to go sub planned pace.

Regarding the physio...all I can say is I feel like I've just paid for an hour in the red light district as I hand him my wad of cash and leave feeling like a wet noodle. :o;)

And yes, agreed about Boston. But feel free to remind me gently over the next 3 weeks and 6 days. :)
    Looking' forward to a summer of chocolate and swimming?! :D

I plan on spending a significant amount of time swimming starting in about 4 weeks when my pool opens. But the chocolate? Ya know....because I have the ability to eat disgusting quantities of chocolate in one sitting, I'm actually trying to decide what to do in that regard. If you want to extend the challenge to DCM where you're targeting sub 3, let me know!! We can amend the terms to accommodate you since your May 5th marathon is in jeopardy....and since I'm all signed up for DCM myself! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement