Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzling Rottie

Options
  • 21-02-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Muzzled my rottie pup for the first time today and got nothing but people staring, muttering under their breath and crossing the road, didn’t get any of that when I walked her un-muzzled. Don’t know what to do now, didn’t enjoy that walk at all today after it, felt like a criminal. I’m probably been too sensitive here, just want to know what other RB owners do, break the law or take the abuse? Also what is the punishment for not having muzzle and can the guards stop you for it or just the warden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I own 2 rotties and dont muzzle them.
    But I use a Dogmatic Headcollar on my male so maybe you could use one of those as they dont look as severe and you still have control over the nose.

The guards wont stop you for not having them muzzled. Ive never been stopped for not having mine muzzled and until i am stopped/questioned/fined for not having them, i refuse to put them on my dogs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Devi wrote: »
    Muzzled my rottie pup for the first time today and got nothing but people staring, muttering under their breath and crossing the road, didn’t get any of that when I walked her un-muzzled. Don’t know what to do now, didn’t enjoy that walk at all today after it, felt like a criminal. I’m probably been too sensitive here, just want to know what other RB owners do, break the law or take the abuse? Also what is the punishment for not having muzzle and can the guards stop you for it or just the warden?

Its such a horrible feeling isn't it? I fostered a dobie before christmas and everytime I walked her, people were crossing the road. My own two are Rbs though not muzzled yet as they're still puppies, but like andreac said, I'm going to use the dogmatics on them when they're a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

i searched high and low and eventually managed to find a BLACK muzzle from my gsd. I think it is the colour of the beige cage that highlighted the other one to everyone.
    I do use muzzles as one of mine is dog agressive; i was working on this very well until she got sick and now I cant as her exercise is so restricted.

If she was not dog agressive I probably would not use them.

saying all of that I never got really negative vibes from having muzzles on. the odd person but most still stopped and asked to rub them and assumed it was the law. mind you one of mine does look like a massive teddy bear so that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Was in the same boat, so ditched the muzzle and use a head collar now. It passes as a muzzle for those who dont different. Any of the following will do the job, Halti, Dogmatic or Gentle leader

EDIT: Pictures of the rottie please

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I also use the dogmatic headcollar I got screamed at one day for not havin my dobie muzzled threatened to call the warden etc so bought the bright blue headcollar very visible against his black face!! Got into pet expo in rss with it so presume it looks muzzely enough for people!! He is a big teddy not a bad bone in Him but never want someone to approach us like that again he got such a fright never mind me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hi, can you buy a dogmatic headcollar in dublin, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Devi wrote: »

Weirdos crossing the road when your pup is muzzled :confused:
    Although some people are terrified of all dogs.
    I wouldn't take it personal and i wouldn't muzzle your pup unless you feel your pup is snappy type.
    Ignore the wallies crossing the road,it is their problem and not yours.You are doing what the law says.And if they think a dog is going to bite them with a muzzle on then they are a bit thick.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi, can you buy a dogmatic headcollar in dublin, thanks.

No, you have to buy them online but i cant recommend them highly enough.
    http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I know its the law but i refuse to muzzle my staffy (like other posters he is not aggressive so no need). Although i can understand why people are cautious, as stated above some people do have a fear of dogs in general not just RB's. I would be wary of someone else's dog muzzled or unmuzled and have always been that way. What does pee me off though are the little terriers that run around scott free attacking my dogs while we're out walking and not an owner to be seen anywhere :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Have had people crossing the road or just open mouth staring (not a good idea if u DONT want to be attacked) at my GSD since she was 5 or 6 months old. People just see the colour of the coat and judge the dog based on that.

I refuse to muzzle my dogs, they have been brought up well and although my GSD gets a bit over excited when we pass a dog, theres no need for a muzzle. Its really depends on the dog, not the breed.

Are the dogmatics a step up from the halti in quality? My halti keeps riding up into the dogs eyes, thats the only fault I can find with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

**Vai** wrote: »
    Are the dogmatics a step up from the halti in quality? My halti keeps riding up into the dogs eyes, thats the only fault I can find with it.
    They are much better than a halti, they look more comfortable and if the dog manages to slip his nose out, you still have full hold on the dog because you're still clipped to the collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Whispered wrote: »
    They are much better than a halti, they look more comfortable and if the dog manages to slip his nose out, you still have full hold on the dog because you're still clipped to the collar.

They have the collar clip on halti's too. Must look into getting a dogmatic.

Dogmatics were designed for dobies as the owner couldnt find a headcollar that did not go up into their eyes!! I have had all the different headcollars but the dogmatic is by far the best and it lasts!! I have had my most recent one for over a year which in dobie terms is a long time to have someting without it being nibbled or worn!! Only had to get the 2nd one cause he grew out of his first one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have a dogmatic collar for my Rottie too, I bought it to curb her pulling which it has so she hasn't worn it in about 6 months. I will put it on if I am bringing her to an outdoor market or something like the Pet Expo but otherwise she doesn't wear any muzzle whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is absolutely amazing is that responsible people who walk their dogs with a muzzle on get these dirty looks. Its like people think your dog is vicious when in fact it's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

cjf wrote: »
    Dogmatics were designed for dobies as the owner couldnt find a headcollar that did not go up into their eyes!! I have had all the different headcollars but the dogmatic is by far the best and it lasts!! I have had my most recent one for over a year which in dobie terms is a long time to have someting without it being nibbled or worn!! Only had to get the 2nd one cause he grew out of his first one!!

Actully Dogmatics were designed for the Italian Spinone Breed, the designers show this breed (as do I) as the halti destroyed the dogs coat as they are shown with a full beard. They are also an extremely powerful HPR gundog breed so it enabled the owners to walk several at a time.

But as the others have mentioned they are fantastic and to be honest I would not muzzle a Rottie or Dobie either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sam80

I never muzzle my 18 month old GSD. Havent been stopped by the guards but today someone driving by pulled in and told me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I have a Halti for my lab, she’s a mad puller, might look into those other ones though.

I was really muzzling her to protect her tbh. My brother had a GSD years ago, I was about 6 or 7 at the time, I adored that dog and she adored me, well one day when my brother was in a pet shop to buy a muzzle (ironically) and she was tied up outside, the local drunk bent down to pet her and got bit in the face, my brother went and got her put down that day, I cried for days.

I got the basket muzzle to let her pant/drink but maybe the black one is the answer.

Guess people are just ignorant to the dog laws (Based on the amount of dogs around here just let out to ramble)

I call her a pup still but she’s over seven months now. Next time I take a pic ill stick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I only muzzle my staffys and my pitty to save myself the hassle! The hassle of if one day i did get fined for not having a muzzle on them. I use the basketville muzzles they can breath , open there mouths fully :) We might get the stares and they funny looks but we just walk straight past proud as punch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Does anyone have any idea were u could get a muzzle to fit a English Bull Terrier??
    I love how the government say we have to muzzle our rb but dont have any muzzle's to suit the breeds!
    Every muzzle we get just goes into her eyes, obv with the lil cone head:P
    Used a halti and a dogmatic but both slide up into her eyes:/
    any help would be great:)

• Advertisement

TaraR wrote: »
    I only muzzle my staffys and my pitty to save myself the hassle! The hassle of if one day i did get fined for not having a muzzle on them. I use the basketville muzzles they can breath , open there mouths fully :) We might get the stares and they funny looks but we just walk straight past proud as punch :D

Hi TaraR,
    just wondering why you would bother to muzzle them if its a thing that they can still open their mouths fully? Is it because you can say "well they're still muzzled" just in case your stopped and questioned or is that the design of the muzzle you're using?? Just curious :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Hi TaraR,
    just wondering why you would bother to muzzle them if its a thing that they can still open their mouths fully? Is it because you can say "well they're still muzzled" just in case your stopped and questioned or is that the design of the muzzle you're using?? Just curious :)

This is the baskerville muzzle, I assume that's the one she means, that they can open their mouths fully, but they cannot bite.

2.jpg

Thanks for that, i just was'nt sure what kind of muzzle it was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

The basket muzzles are meant to be way better for exercise cos they can open their mouths. And the nylon ones, or whatever you call them, still let the dog bite you with their front teeth even if they fit properly! I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i have to muzzle mine because a gaurd brought me to court in november for not having them on them. even though i always do but my staff had a chest infection from it so i took them for one walk without and booom. f$%k everyone else. let them look. ignorance is terrible. you should see the looks i get when i push a buggy and one either side!!

Shanao wrote: »
    This is the baskerville muzzle, I assume that's the one she means, that they can open their mouths fully, but they cannot bite.

2.jpg

No i actually do have that one too but they cant open there mouths fully in it , Its this one i use . Here's boots doing a bit of modeling :D

ooo008.jpg

And here is looking like a whippet with that other one on
    feb2011034.jpg

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Hi TaraR,

Its the design of the muzzle. They whole mouth is covered. I used the fabric muzzle before and Boots the dog in the pic couldnt pant , as it was last summer when we where at a walk. And my other male staffy socks will only wear the basketville muzzle , he freaked out and ripped the fabric one to shreds bcoz he couldnt open is mouth.

Knine wrote: »
    Actully Dogmatics were designed for the Italian Spinone Breed, the designers show this breed (as do I) as the halti destroyed the dogs coat as they are shown with a full beard.

Hate threads goin off point but they actually were designed for dobes which they had and showed well before the spinones.

Ps boots is fab!! His ears naturally stick up like that?? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I see the dogmatic people at Crufts every year and thats what they told me:D

Pitbull fanatic that is awful. I know someone who was taken to court for having an unmuzzled Pitbull and the dog was a boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

Knine wrote: »
    I see the dogmatic people at Crufts every year and thats what they told me:D

Pitbull fanatic that is awful. I know someone who was taken to court for having an unmuzzled Pitbull and the dog was a boxer.

ya?? well that had to have been thrown out was it? i got a 500euro fine or 5 days in prison. bad form like.

Advertisement