Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing number plates-security screws

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭

Any idea how to remove security screws? The type that can only be turned clockwise.

Cheers.

P.S. it's my own car I'm not trying to nick someone else's plates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Remove the screw by turning it anticlockwise with another flat head screwdriver under the head of the screw to force it out. The screw most likely has a section below the head without threads (or damaged threads) so you need to pull the screw to engage the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Cheers-but it seems like I can't grip the head of the screw with a screwdriver to turn it-the 'flanges' are set up in such a way that it can only be turned one way-does that make sense?

I wonder if I could grip the head with a pair of pliers or the like?

I've never heard of a 'security screw' for a number plate - I might be corrected on this.....

What I mean is - use a second screwdriver to prise the screw out as you turn it. It may work with a pliers but could be a bit more awkward.
    Redsoxfan wrote:
    the 'flanges' are set up in such a way that it can only be turned one way

That sounds like threads are not engaging - possibly because the plates were affixed with a drill that may have damaged the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Use a vise grips and then pull and turn anti clock wise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I presume the OP is talking about something like this
    sf-clutchhead.jpg

While I have never come across one I would assume either gripping with pliers or vice grips would be best option.

• Advertisement

Lucifer, that screw head has two opposing faces - surely it should work in both directions with a flat head screwdriver........no?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

try an electrician they use these on outside light fittings too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

one egde is flat which will grip with a flat head, the other edge is rounded so the screwdriver will slip. Is hard to see but maybe more noticable in these pics

Screw_OneWay.gif
    owsT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

That's the one Lucifer. Think the pliers/grips is the way to go.

Lucifer wrote: »
    Is hard to see but maybe more noticable in these pics

Ah yes - I see what you mean. If that's the case then the vise grips is probably the best option for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you can't get it with a vise grip, try this:
    Stick 2 blades side by side in a hacksaw and cut a new slot, remove it with a screwdriver.
    You may not have the room to get the hacksaw near enough though.

Next thing I'd try is a centre punch. Make an indent near the edge and then try to hit at a tangent - should work.

If all else fails, the only other way is to drill a small hole in the head of the screw and use a stus extractor (like a tapered tap with a reversed thread on it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A tame electrician, electrical engineer, alarm/security engineer would probably have the correct tool for removing these, if you happen to know any anyone in that line of work.

Here are some alternative methods you might try-
    http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infoneway.html

Advertisement