Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Master Socket

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

I have a date for fibre installation. I currently use extension socket upstairs for BB and know that's not possible for fibre.
    My unused master socket is in hallway with no power there. I don't want any wires showing in the hallway so don't want the extension option. I would like to open exiting socket, drill a hole in the wall and push the incoming copper through and put the new socket in adjoining room, directly behind the exiting socket. Then run short cable to modem beside power point in other room.

Does anyone see any problems with this and if I have the hole drilled and ready for the engineer will he do it ? He will also need to reconnect the wires for the extensions. Will there be enough flex in the incoming cable to pull in more and push through a few extra inches of concrete wall to the other side ? If not, can he extend it a bit by some joiner or solder ?
    Difficult to get clear answer from Vodafone

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I had a similiar setup for dsl when i got efibre they used the master socket as thats what there instructed to do, crimped a RJ11 head to slave socket wiring plugged into master socket and effectively becomes an extension lead to your modem and replaced slave socket with a facia like below.

telephone-line-jack-units.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Thanks for reply.

Not sure I understand, am I left with that in the hallway with nothing going into it and then another socket in the room behind it ? If so, I'd be happy with that.

I guess I need to have the hole drilled for him before hand ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yes you would still have to drill a hole.

You could do the following

A. Drill hole in wall and run cable from the socket in the hall

B. Move Socket alltogether from the hall to bedroom fill in hole

C. New socket in bedroom bypass hall and keep it there instead of filling in hole.

I think option b of moving the socket alltogether if possible would be a better solution imo

Yes you would still have to drill a hole.

You could do the following

A. Drill hole in wall and run cable from the socket in the hall

B. Move Socket alltogether from the hall to bedroom fill in hole

C. New socket in bedroom bypass hall and keep it there instead of filling in hole.

I think option b of moving the socket alltogether if possible would be a better solution imo

Thanks

I would like option B best , is that possible using the existing extension cable chased through the wall ? it is a white cable, certainly not Cat5

And I have 2 extensions off the incoming socket, 1 is used for phone so I presume they are extended in series rather than 2 separate extension from the main socket. If so I guess that would rule out option B.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Currently the drop wire(coming in from the road) and the extension wiring all meet at the NTU, the existing master socket.

To solve what you want to solve I would:

1. Drill a hole directly behind the existing socket into the next room
    2. Run a few inches of CAT5e through that hole and fit an RJ45 socket there. Mark this with a labeler as DSL Only.
    3. Have the KNN lads fit the new socket at the master when they're out. They'll wire the drop onto the back and feed it directly back to the new cable you've wired up, giving a pure DSL signal to the modem. The phone extensions are joined to the front filtered terminals on the new NTU, preventing noise.

This means not rewiring the existing sockets and trying to pull drop cable which may well be stuck in place. You'll have a small unused socket in the hallway, but you dont need to connect anything and can hide it behind something if you like.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Currently the drop wire(coming in from the road) and the extension wiring all meet at the NTU, the existing master socket.

To solve what you want to solve I would:

1. Drill a hole directly behind the existing socket into the next room
    2. Run a few inches of CAT5e through that hole and fit an RJ45 socket there. Mark this with a labeler as DSL Only.
    3. Have the KNN lads fit the new socket at the master when they're out. They'll wire the drop onto the back and feed it directly back to the new cable you've wired up, giving a pure DSL signal to the modem. The phone extensions are joined to the front filtered terminals on the new NTU, preventing noise.

This means not rewiring the existing sockets and trying to pull drop cable which may well be stuck in place. You'll have a small unused socket in the hallway, but you dont need to connect anything and can hide it behind something if you like.

Thanks, that's a good idea for the RJ45 socket as it will be thinner than putting a NTU in the adjoining room as a press is currently pushed against wall there and that would need moving out a bit with the thicker NTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How did this work out for you?
    I am in the same boat and have them coming later today to install fibre.
    No power socket next to where they will be installing the fibre socket.

I have a normal phone extension going to an upstairs bedroom that I plug the adsl modem into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

In my experience KNN will do the least possible.

I had the phone line coming to the front of the house but I needed the socket at the rear of the house where my comms cabinet was. No way would KNN entertain anything put putting the socket into the sitting room as it was the easiest place they could drill into.

When they were gone I got up on a ladder and cut the phone outside the house. I ran some external CAT5 from the cut up into the attic and down the back of the house and into a new master socket I installed myself.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Good news. Engineer arrived and I explained situation. He will install it upstairs where there is a power socket. Has checked lines and has now gone to the cabinet.
    I think when it is up and running I'll invest in a couple of powerline adapters to get internet to other room with PC in, but that doesn't get used much so won't be to worried about it.

EDIT:

Ok, forget all that. Nothing changed.
    Fibre to cabinet then copper to house. No change to anything in the house.
    Will do a speed test now.

Advertisement