Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Vodafone (fibre) use a Transparent Proxy? (Or VPN Advice)

Options
  • 27-03-2015 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Last night I was trying to configure a Smart DNS and having absolutely no joy. I configured the setting on my PC then on the router and nothing. The providers page was telling all was setup OK but when I ran a test the provider was saying I wasn't connecting through their DNS.

At this stage the only thing I can this is that Vodafone are doing something on their end. Does anyone know if Vodafone are using a transparent proxy?

I have tired using a VPN (Private Internet Access) but I'm only getting 3.5 meg speeds through the USA whereas without the VPN I'm getting a steady 80 meg. If I can't use a Smart DNS, anyone know of a fast VPN provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you flush DNS after making the changes?

This is most likely to be a configuration error on your part tbh, vodafone haven been seen to use CGN or shaping here before that I can recall.

Run NSLOOKUP to confirm your PC is pulling from the correct server. Id suggest hard coding the smart DNS and not relaying it through your router to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Fixed it i think. Avast as a "Secure DNS" option that I had to disable

Thanks

Advertisement