Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Fibre BB" Eircom vs Digiweb vs Vodafone

• 08-01-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I need some advice on the different Broadband providers. I am currently living in Wicklow, Greystones and I am switching/upgrading my broadband to Fibre since my contract is up with Digiweb at the end of this month.

I am on a 8mb down .4 up with a 70ms Ping Rate line with them but I cannot decide which ISP provider I want to go with?

I am a Tech head working in IT so I do a lot of downloading, gaming and streaming movies/tv shows. I would like to switch to a good ISP provider with a good ping rate with download limits of 350gb or over, I don't mind if I don't get unlimited BB but it would be nice.

I am looking through all the ISP prices and Eircom seems to be the best priced but they block a lot of torrent sites. I know they're proxies to get around TPB and kickasstorrents but the less hassle the better. Their customer services is also dire and I've heard they have a lot of down time?

I've been with Digiweb for the past year and they're all right but not great? Low downtimes but high ping (which is a killer in online gaming) and they're asking for a €50 Fibre installation fee so I'm not too sure if I want to upgrade to Digiweb Fibre.

Anyone know what Vodafone's and Eircom's Fibre is like and could they give me any advice on what their opinions are on the matter above?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Hi all,

I need some advice on the different Broadband providers. I am currently living in Wicklow, Greystones and I am switching/upgrading my broadband to Fibre since my contract is up with Digiweb at the end of this month.

I am on a 8mb down .4 up with a 70ms Ping Rate line with them but I cannot decide which ISP provider I want to go with?

I am a Tech head working in IT so I do a lot of downloading, gaming and streaming movies/tv shows. I would like to switch to a good ISP provider with a good ping rate with download limits of 350gb or over, I don't mind if I don't get unlimited BB but it would be nice.

I am looking through all the ISP prices and Eircom seems to be the best priced but they block a lot of torrent sites. I know they're proxies to get around TPB and kickasstorrents but the less hassle the better. Their customer services is also dire and I've heard they have a lot of down time?

I've been with Digiweb for the past year and they're all right but not great? Low downtimes but high ping (which is a killer in online gaming) and they're asking for a €50 Fibre installation fee so I'm not too sure if I want to upgrade to Digiweb Fibre.

Anyone know what Vodafone's and Eircom's Fibre is like and could they give me any advice on what their opinions are on the matter above?

Many thanks,

Rob.

eircom - efibre advanced unlimited

Pros: no cap (well 500gb but its rarely enforced)
    cheaper in price
    offers tv service (but at the expense of bb speeds)

Cons: god awful modem
    problematic ordering system
    no bband no tv

vodafone - unlimited

Pros: Better modem

Cons: poorer phone package offers

digiweb - fibre

Pros: cant think of any

Cons: throttled speeds at night or on torrents
    low data cap - horribly low big charges for going over
    locked down modem

Magnet - fatpipe unlimited

Pros: cheap price
    offers tv service

Cons: throttled torrents
    locked down modem
    customer services hours only 9-5:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much of the above applies to fibre products though?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much of the above applies to fibre products though?

they are all the fibre products im referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do digiweb throttle on fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LolWhyuNoGG

Really appreciate the feedback man.

See I was thinking that I should be focusing more towards Vodafone or Eircom since I know Digiweb bottlenecks Youtube/streams and I guarantee they still will on Fibre.

I was with Vodafone before Digiweb though and they f'd us over with their house phone charges but I might just cancel our house phone all together so that would eliminate that problem?

I've never been with Eircom or Magnet but I know Eircom have a fairly low up time rate from working here in IT. What's Magnet like though?
    eircom - efibre advanced unlimited

Pros: no cap (well 500gb but its rarely enforced)
    cheaper in price
    offers tv service (but at the expense of bb speeds)

Cons: god awful modem
    problematic ordering system
    no bband no tv

vodafone - unlimited

Pros: Better modem

Cons: poorer phone package offers

digiweb - fibre

Pros: cant think of any

Cons: throttled speeds at night or on torrents
    low data cap - horribly low big charges for going over
    locked down modem

Magnet - fatpipe unlimited

Pros: cheap price
    offers tv service

Cons: throttled torrents
    locked down modem
    customer services hours only 9-5:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Go with Eircom or Vodafone.

Magnet are a complete and utter joke.

Imagine are newly on the scene with fiber but it's too early to tell how good they are.

No personal experience with Digiweb yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LolWhyuNoGG

Oh really? That bad huh? Hmm.. fair enough then, might go with Vodafone as long as they don't have a huge Fibre installation fee and go without the house phone.

Yeah I don't think I want to go anywhere near Imagine tbh. Heard a LOT of sh**e about them since my friend made the mistake of being locked into a contract with them for 24 months.. Let's just say he wasn't very happy with the BB, ever.. :/

So ok, I will give Eircom and Vodafone a buzz tomorrow and ask everything I need to and I will then make up my mind.

Cheers to you all for the advice, if you've any more feel free to give your opinion since I won't be changing over for a while anyway :)

Rob
    Praetorian wrote: »
    Go with Eircom or Vodafone.

Magnet are a complete and utter joke.

Imagine are newly on the scene with fiber but it's too early to tell how good they are.

No personal experience with Digiweb yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mugsir

Hi,

Sorry to dig this one up but i face this exact dillemma: I'm moving to Ballincollig in Cork where UPC only cover half the town with das ubernet, so I'm having to choose another ISP. I have similar net needs to the OP and would like to see where the OP and other boards users are with are a year on.

@LolWhyuNoGG
    I'd love to know if you are still happy with Vodafone fibre

Experiences with Voda or Eircom fibre folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

mugsir wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to dig this one up but i face this exact dillemma: I'm moving to Ballincollig in Cork where UPC only cover half the town with das ubernet, so I'm having to choose another ISP. I have similar net needs to the OP and would like to see where the OP and other boards users are with are a year on.

@LolWhyuNoGG

I'm with Vodafone Simply Broadband (no phone) and get around 95/20 download/upload hardwired and 65/20 on wifi. Overall I'm very happy with the service. Although the price has now increased to €38\month, they have also removed the ridiculous cap of 300 Gb, so it is now genuinely unlimited.

TinCanMan wrote: »
    I'm with Vodafone Simply Broadband (no phone) and get around 95/20 download/upload hardwired and 65/20 on wifi. Overall I'm very happy with the service. Although the price has now increased to €38\month, they have also removed the ridiculous cap of 300 Gb, so it is now genuinely unlimited.

Thanks TinCanMan, really appreciated the reply.
    Those speeds are nice, where are you based?

DL limit isn't really an issue for me, had unlimited for years now and no longer hocking down 100s and 100s of GB every month. Hit my usage "target" once or twice but that was extreme usage. Just checked UPC usage history and averaging about 80GB a month, doing all the things i normally do: Gaming, downloading large games from online services, downloading/streaming TV/Movies in HD, downloading OS ISOs.

So can anyone else comment on Voda fibre? Anyone in the Cork area?

• Advertisement

Thanks TinCanMan, really appreciated the reply.
    Those speeds are nice, where are you based?

DL limit isn't really an issue for me, had unlimited for years now and no longer hocking down 100s and 100s of GB every month. Hit my usage "target" once or twice but that was extreme usage. Just checked UPC usage history and averaging about 80GB a month, doing all the things i normally do: Gaming, downloading large games from online services, downloading/streaming TV/Movies in HD, downloading OS ISOs.

So can anyone else comment on Voda fibre? Anyone in the Cork area?

I'm in Midleton. To be honest I'm not sure how I coped before fibre broadband.

TinCanMan wrote: »
    I'm in Midleton. To be honest I'm not sure how I coped before fibre broadband.

Yes, me too. Couldn't go back to the days of ancient broadband either. Great to know that Middleton is served so well. Any idea how far you are from the closest cabinet? Those are great speeds, you must be pretty close.

Yes, me too. Couldn't go back to the days of ancient broadband either. Great to know that Middleton is served so well. Any idea how far you are from the closest cabinet? Those are great speeds, you must be pretty close.

Probably between 200-250 yards.

eircom now offer a better modem

its called the f2000 and its actually a Huawei HG659b dual band wireless ac modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi,

@LolWhyuNoGG

Apologies also for digging this up but just wanted to check Mugsir who you went with in the end?
    I too am in Ballincollig area where UPC/Virgin is not available?
    thanks

Advertisement