Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog Limping!!

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I leave my dog run round my back garden for bout a half hour every evening before i feed her but on sat when i went I called her back in she was limping very badly! I checked her pad for something pricking her but there was nothing and her nails are all ok and nice and short! I stretched out her leg and retracted it a couple of times and she was in no discomfort and her leg moved very easily for me. I also squeezed it tightly from top to bottom to try find the area that was hurting her but she didnt flinch or whimper once!! Has anyone any ideas why she might be limping or anything else I can do to check before i bring her to the vet??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Exactly same thing happened me at the weekend.Put dog out back he came back in walking funny limpy licking at his paw a lot.Then started throwing his leg back and he started running around the house.This was at 11:30 at night rang emergency vet was informed it would cost 150 euro before medication.:eek:

Anyway vet advised me over the phone to wash it with salt and water use a beanbag thing you put into microwave and apply heat to the paw.She also advised me of a certain household medicine i could give for the pain but can't tell you it cause she worked this out for him according to his weight which i knew thankfully.

And if he was still bad in the morning bring him in to her.

Edit just noticed your dog is like that since Saturday??

try washing and heat pad etc but bring her in to vet if it don't improve

Did you check her pads and between toes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She could of just slightly strained it or there might be someting teeny tiny stuck in her pad or between her toes that might be hard to see, see if you can see something using a magnifying glass. Sometimes dogs just twist their leg a bit nothing might be damaged but it can just be tender sometimes just making them rest up for a few days helps but if the limp gets worse or hasn't cleared up after a couple of days rest have the vet check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did you check the patella?

worst case senario she has dislocated this,common in smaller dogs.
    did you feel something move when you moved the leg in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

One of mine developed a limp during a walk. Vet examinations revealed nothing so we suspected a damaged tendon. I ended up getting a boot from ebay to stop the paw from spreading open as she walked. It took about 6 weeks to completely heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Hi all,
    just taught you might like to know I brought Milly to the Vet on tues morning,she just got a very hard bang on her elbow, so he prescribed her a pain killer and Anti-inflammatory and she is doing much better now!! still limping a bit but huge improvement! thanks for the advise and concern :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement