Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from 10s to 9s advice

Options
  • 22-10-2015 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I have 10s on all of my guitars but I am curious to try out 9s for a while on my Highway1 Strat. Can I just swap over and the guitar will find it's level or do you recommend a full set up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

population wrote: »
    I have 10s on all of my guitars but I am curious to try out 9s for a while on my Highway1 Strat. Can I just swap over and the guitar will find it's level or do you recommend a full set up?

I'm no expert but it could mean that you will have to alter the intonation for the 9's as the guitar would currently be set up based on the 10's

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You should be mostly fine. A setup wouldn't hurt, but it's such a small step, there shouldn't be much change. That assumes of course that you don't have a floating trem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Moving up or down a gauge is pretty straightforward. I have only made minimal adjustments, very infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, no need to change anything for a tryout.

if you decide to keep it then a setup would eventually be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Cheers all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Ok so I changed over and now I have some dead notes on the e and b string when bending around the 12th fret. Is a neck adjustment in order?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Possibly need to adjust the action (bring up the string height a little) or failing that relieve a little tension on the truss rod (loosen). 9s put less pressure on the neck thans10s so the neck may be bending back more than it needs to. In reality truss rod adjustment going from 10s to 9s is rarely needed.

Advertisement