Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android TV box.. Are they legal?

Options
  • 11-09-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an android tv box.. I have to say I am very happy with buying one these things, I mean the selection of channels and movies on these are unbelievable and great quality.. there's nearly too much to choose from but.. that made me ask the question are these things fully legal??

Anyone know how these things are legal if they are? even though they seem very easy to come across online. I have kid's in the house that's why I said id check up on them.

Really appreciate any advice

Thanks
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

The boxes are legal but the streams are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Colmk191

Thanks for the reply dubrov.

Bummer I had a feeling I cant praise this enough.. I was surprised so many of these things were selling so I said I would try one. They are a great device unbelievable selection of films for the very small investment. There's a custom made build on the one, the seller had all the best add ons pre-installed.

Maybe certain streams are legal but I'm guessing it's only certain streams.. highly recommend these devices people.

I think Il still hang on to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Colmk191

Thanks for the reply dubrov.

Bummer I had a feeling I cant praise this enough.. I was surprised so many of these things were selling so I said I would try one. They are a great device unbelievable selection of films for the very small investment. There's a custom made build on the one I got, the seller had all the best add ons pre-installed.

Maybe certain streams are legal but I'm guessing it's only certain streams.. highly recommend these devices people.

I think Il still hang on to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Hi.
    Just wondering are u still happy with the box. I used to use movietube but its now removed.

Are the movies free using the box ?

Coukd u pkease advise me which sites are best & also the name / midel of tv box.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hi.
    Just wondering are u still happy with the box. I used to use movietube but its now removed.

Are the movies free using the box ?

Coukd u pkease advise me which sites are best & also the name / midel of tv box.
    Thanks.
    Thread here with everything you would need to know

touch.boards.ie/thread/2057446012/65/#post97800987

• Advertisement

Thread here with everything you would need to know

touch.boards.ie/thread/2057446012/65/#post97800987

Thks Droidman123 .......... but the post is 65 screens long. I know that sounds lazy but is there a condensed version available?
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No there isn't, read the OP.

The last few pages are all that's relevant anyway, streams are always changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have the M8 box, and it seems to be decent enough. I find it irritiating now having a TV guide, but everything is there if you root around.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

I love the box but my only issue is that when I select something to watch it goes to a processing page and no further so I have to watch what ever eventually works....

Anyone else have this problem, my internet seems to be working fine.

I love the box but my only issue is that when I select something to watch it goes to a processing page and no further so I have to watch what ever eventually works....

Anyone else have this problem, my internet seems to be working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Illegal sites constantly get DMCAd, thats what happens when you arent paying for things.

Now my box has a message saying 'server error' and wont play anything. Its hit n miss. I checked all connections and the internet. No idea what's happening???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

They are illegal and Kodi is having to resort to legal measures to stop their name/product being a byword for piracy.
    They have copyrighted the name Kodi and will be actively going after companies/people selling Kodi boxes with illegal and dangerous addons pre-installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

ongarite wrote: »
    They are illegal and Kodi is having to resort to legal measures to stop their name/product being a byword for piracy.
    They have copyrighted the name Kodi and will be actively going after companies/people selling Kodi boxes with illegal and dangerous addons pre-installed.

They are not illegal they can do nothing a phone, tablet or computer can't do. Streaming is not illegal either there was an EU ruling to this effect, Google it you will see it.
    Downloading is illegal though in many cases, you can not make a copy of copyrighted material. Streaming is different

Thanks for those comments, but they are not sold on the black market and are becoming very popular. I think it gives sky and the like something to worry about. Bills, bills bills....no thanks!!

Anyway I don't think the legal/illegal issue of these boxes have anything to do with the frustration of this android box telling me I have no connection. Maybe I need to reinstall it. Anyone one else have this problem before???

ok panic over, I reinstalled it and its working again.....for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bmwguy wrote: »
    They are not illegal they can do nothing a phone, tablet or computer can't do. Streaming is not illegal either there was an EU ruling to this effect, Google it you will see it.
    Downloading is illegal though in many cases, you can not make a copy of copyrighted material. Streaming is different

Streaming and downloading are technically the same thing. Try holding up the distinction in front of a judge if the RIAA were to take you to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It seems Kodi have had enough now and will be actively going after ANY of these boxes that use their trademark or branding in advertisements.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

I'd imagine a lot of DMCA takedown requests are being issued against these streams too so don't be surprised to see issues with these boxes constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I noticed a (respectable, long-established) shop in the city centre has a big poster in their window advertising the "magic box, all sports, all movies etc" - surely they're on dodgy ground there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

they are legal for personal use not business

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    I noticed a (respectable, long-established) shop in the city centre has a big poster in their window advertising the "magic box, all sports, all movies etc" - surely they're on dodgy ground there.

I presume Magic Box / Kodi Box & M8 are all different Android boxes.

- Which is the BEST ?
    - I have upc wifi & a smart tv - Is it just a case of plugging it in & tuning it ?
    - where can I purchase at best price in Dublin or online ?..
    Thank U.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

I presume Magic Box / Kodi Box & M8 are all different Android boxes.

- Which is the BEST ?
    - I have upc wifi & a smart tv - Is it just a case of plugging it in & tuning it ?
    - where can I purchase at best price in Dublin or online ?..
    Thank U.

I got m8s and am really happy with it
    also i found it cheap on ebay just search with this code on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ahmsalo wrote: »
    I got m8s and am really happy with it
    also i found it cheap on ebay just search with this code on ebay

Is it you selling these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Is it you selling these?

Seller is called dublinaccesories. Would think there is a good chance alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ahmsalo wrote: »
    they are legal for personal use not business

I think you will find steaming any content "unlicensed" for want of a better word, is illegal, personal or business. By this I mean new movies, live sports, commercial tv stations, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Have two M8 boxes. Wonderful piece of kit and saves me a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Look I'm doing it myself on occasion but anyone who's fooling themselves that you're not downloading and therefore you're legal or some similar construed justification is doing just that, fooling themselves. Their sole purpose is to gain access to copyrighted material that you'd otherwise have to pay for.
    Like I said I don't have problem with it but please don't keep saying they're fine. They're at the very best grey and the sole reason why copyright holders aren't pursuing this in Ireland (yet) is that the small Irish market isn't worth it (yet). In other EU countries users of these are being threatened with injunctions at quite a cost to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Kur4mA wrote: »
    It seems Kodi have had enough now and will be actively going after ANY of these boxes that use their trademark or branding in advertisements.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

I'd imagine a lot of DMCA takedown requests are being issued against these streams too so don't be surprised to see issues with these boxes constantly.

In the statement you linked to they said
    Team Kodi maintains an officially neutral stance on what users do with their own software. Kodi is open source software, and as long as the GPL is followed, you are welcome to do with it as you like. So while we don’t love this use of Kodi, as long as you know what illegal and potentially dangerous things you are getting yourself into and accept the fact that the Team will not be providing you with any support, then you are welcome to do what you like.

So I don't know why you think they will be going after streams based on the link you provided. It's pretty clear they're going after the sellers of fully loaded boxes, but they're doing nothing to stop people buying android boxes, downloading Kodi from their own site and installing the add ons that are easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

SteM wrote:
    So I don't know why you think they will be going after streams based on the link you provided. It's pretty clear they're going after the sellers of fully loaded boxes, but they're doing nothing to stop people buying android boxes, downloading Kodi from their own site and installing the add ons that are easily available.

Kodi covering their arses. Everything fine lads. Carry on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

They will find it very difficult to stop the rise of Kodi, is an open source platform, and what people use it for is entirely up to them.

Much like Windows/Android/Openelec/ios is a platform, nothing more.

Advertisement