Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 16bit Shmups?

• 03-02-2016 8:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas what are the best Shmups of the SNES/MD generation?
    Not looking for lists, just wondering what are the favourites and why.
    And what are the most overrated ones!
    Pics, Vids and Gifs are welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Super Aleste has to be up there. Very fun shmup, loads of variety, and some cool weapon upgrades

SuperAleste3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

R-Type 3 The Third Lightning on the SNES, it's a great game with a great soundtrack. It may be the best console R-Type out there, the downside is it's very hard and may make you cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Truxton on the Megadrive

Super Star Soldier on PC-Engine

Would be two of my favorites :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Myrddin wrote: »
    Super Aleste has to be up there. Very fun shmup, loads of variety, and some cool weapon upgrades.

And an amazing soundtrack.

Another SNES favourite of mine was BioMetal (with its 2Unlimited soundtrack :rolleyes: ).

U.N. Squadron

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't get the pal version of Super aleste. They sped up the music to play properly on the pla version but not the gameplay.

Eliminate Down on the Megadrive is awesome and also very cheap! :D

I found biometal a bit crap.

On the SNES the best shmup for me would be Axelay.

On Megadrive I'd go for Thinderforce 3 and 4.

Also a big fan of Cotton on the SNES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

R-Type 3 The Third Lightning on the SNES, it's a great game with a great soundtrack. It may be the best console R-Type out there, the downside is it's very hard and may make you cry.

This is a really super game that came out near the end of the console's life and so was sadly overlooked (or at least not as popular as the early day titles). Really clever and makes great use of the SNES's famed Mode 7 feature.

I also quite liked Swiv on the Amiga (and latterly the SNES).

ST Dragon is also worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    On Megadrive I'd go for Thinderforce 3 and 4.

Was that the one where you had to swipe right to take your enemies out? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That opening few seconds of R-Type 3 with the music when it zooms out from the mechanics of the ship to start the level......a small glorious moment.

It's not the best one or even that well known but Super Strike Gunner holds good memories for me, renting it constantly when I was younger.

Parodius is pretty fun and a bit bonkers. The 2nd one (Gokujou) on the SFC has the first level music of the Glenn Miller song 'In The Mood', which wrecked my head for ages trying to figure out what it was.

Syvalion is rock hard/frustrating depending on the patience of the person. It's a bit different to other shoot em up's and isn't all that great overall but worth playing still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Alien Breed and Chaos Engine are two of my favourites...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

All fall on their knees to Musha Aleste :)

Opening level is a bit overly long bit I find the fast paced nature of it has held up better than a lot of other shumups from the same gen.

If we're talking 16 bit gen overall then I'll have to go with Raiden 2... The arcade version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't forget 'Toilet Kids' :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved Biohazard Battle, I picked it up on release and was gobsmacked by the visuals and the thumping soundtrack.

Another is Fire Shark, a Toaplan creation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is a really super game that came out near the end of the console's life and so was sadly overlooked (or at least not as popular as the early day titles). Really clever and makes great use of the SNES's famed Mode 7 feature.

I also quite liked Swiv on the Amiga (and latterly the SNES).

ST Dragon is also worth a look.

swiv_03.png

Yeah I played Swiv to death on the Amiga, loved it. The sound effects were fantastic. Not sure if it was made by the same crowd who did Silkworm, was a much better shooter anyway. Hardware wise, I don't think the Amiga was as suited to shmups as the MD, but it still had some decent efforts for those of us that didn't know any better.

Project-X, Xenon 2 and Uridium 2 were a few other's I remember:

project-x_45%255B1%255D.png

Xenon%202%20Megablast_5.png

o1s1n wrote: »
    All fall on their knees to Musha Aleste :)

Opening level is a bit overly long bit I find the fast paced nature of it has held up better than a lot of other shumups from the same gen.

If we're talking 16 bit gen overall then I'll have to go with Raiden 2... The arcade version.

You're being a bit generous there, it's way too long. :P

smurf492 wrote: »
    Alien Breed and Chaos Engine are two of my favourites...

Well i look like a tool...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Super Aleste has to be up there. Very fun shmup, loads of variety, and some cool weapon upgrades

SuperAleste3.png

The minute I read the thread title, I was gonna post this, it's fcukin great(also a bit rare I think)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

smurf492 wrote: »
    Well i look like a tool...

Well, they did have shooting in them I guess. :)

Great games though.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Well, they did have shooting in them I guess. :)

Great games though.

HAHA Cheers!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was a big fan of Disposable Hero on the CD32 back in the day :)

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apidya on the Amiga is the only Euro shooter I really liked. It's a real technical marvel and has an awesome Huelsbeck soundtrack

Advertisement