Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N64 Console Vs Wii n64 VC Vs Emulation?

• 04-02-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, so I'm thinking of starting a collection for the n64.

I tried to emulate on the Wii, not great, few prob with controllers and actual graphics missing colours etc. It's possible, but I'm not going to go into it here.

Then I do have Mario64 and MK64 on the WiiU VC, which is great, but, not a lot of games on there, and I would think there will not be many more added anytime soon, due to the possible NX release this or next year.

So now I'm thinking of getting the system itself. I am not too fussy about playing the old system on a HD TV like some. But is it worth the investment overall?

Which version on the n64 do you prefer to play?

Any hidden gems?

Ps: I do have a copy of Rare Replay for the Xbone so those games are covered.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The best answer is always a real N64, an NTSC model, further modded to take both Jap and US carts.
    Couple this with a quick mod to allow RGB, and you've got the perfect console.
    You can use a PAL power supply and not ever have to worry about power adapters at all.
    PAL games are letterboxes and slow compared to their overseas counterparts, Mario Kart 64 and Waverace 64 are ruined as a result.
    Also, PAL games are typically more expensive than their NTSC editions, so a win there as well.

Waverace 64 is well worth getting, but import the Jap edition that includes rumble pack support, it really adds to title, coupled with it all running full screen and at full speed.
    link This is expensive, but I'm sure you can find it for less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,851 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do don't get a PAL system. Lots of problems getting games to run on it and the whole 50 Hz issue. Also try and get an early model that can be modded for RGB. To mod a NTSC console to take JAP and US carts you just have to remove some tabs. There's not many jap exclusives, some of the games are cheaper and Sin and Punishment is a must own but that's about it.

N64 emulation on the whole is appalling, don't bother. The Wii VC is the best emulator available for it.

Also try and get a Hori gamepad that looks like the GC pad, far better than the piece of piss official pad which I do like but they are made out of sugar paper and disintergrate after a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I am not too fussy about playing the old system on a HD TV like

(Seriously, it's going to look appalling...prepare yourself. RGB modded & a small crt is a world of difference)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Get a cheap Japanese N64 on ebay. Cut off the cartridge slot to play you US games. Buy an s-video cable and converter. Then get an Everdrive 64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Wii VC is still up, and its selection is larger than the Wii U VC, where you'd also have the option to transfer your Wii VC games from the virtual Wii on the Wii U to the Wii U proper when it becomes available on the Wii U eShop (gamepad play and for a small fee). If that sounded complicated, I think I've actually managed to simplify Nintendo's convoluted e-purchases system.

Granted, I think a lot of the Wii U and Wii VC stuff is just PAL versions (prefer to be shouted at in 5..4..) as they note when it's an NTSC or NTSC-J title on the purchase screen (leaving me thinking it's the exception since I've only purchased 1 N64 game off there). Like F-Zero (SNES) or Sin & Punishment, for example.

edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I should really start checking the dates on the threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement