Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good mic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

It's probably a complete pile of rubbish, given that it's not even an 'entry level' of a known brand.

Don't waste your money is my best advice.

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've been told Shure do great mics but I see many models. Does it have a go-to model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

I've been told Shure do great mics but I see many models. Does it have a go-to model?

For vocals it's the SM58, and that'll do pretty much anything else asked of it too, but it does have a pronounced presence peak designed to make vocals harder sounding and in some cases more clear. Not something I like but that's another story.

SM57 is not often used for vocals (one exception being Tom Petty) but more often for instrument micing and not as harsh sounding.

Hope this helps ~

g

godfrey wrote: »
    For vocals it's the SM58, and that'll do pretty much anything else asked of it too, but it does have a pronounced presence peak designed to make vocals harder sounding and in some cases more clear. Not something I like but that's another story.

SM57 is not often used for vocals (one exception being Tom Petty) but more often for instrument micing and not as harsh sounding.

Hope this helps ~

g

Is it risky buying from Amazon? I see one of the buyers saying they got a fake from here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SM58-LC-SM58-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0R42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is it risky buying from Amazon? I see one of the buyers saying they got a fake from here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SM58-LC-SM58-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0R42

That user says they got a fake from another seller, so there's no reason to think the one you linked to is suspect.

If you're concerned, Thomann (who certainly never sell fakes) have it cheaper:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_sm58.htm

Amazon price (including standard shipping): €161.62
    Thomann price (including standard shipping): €124

There's also a model with an on/off switch, for a little more:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_sm58s.htm

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »

There's also a model with an on/off switch, for a little more:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_sm58s.htm

On-off switch worth the extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

On-off switch worth the extra?

I've been using SM58 mikes for a long time now. Its always been regarded as the best live vocal mike ever made. I've never seen nor used one with an on/off switch and it hasn't been a hindrance to me over the years. I'd be of the opinion that the less things on it to break the better. Not that they give much trouble anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

My stage mic has an on/off but I put tape over the switch after I accidentally cut myself off mid song. Better off without it methinks.

I bought the SM58, jumping about my bedroom singing. It didn't come with a lead but I have a lead for a condenser mic I own. Does anyone know who I can plug this into my amp? It has a different connection.

I bought the SM58, jumping about my bedroom singing. It didn't come with a lead but I have a lead for a condenser mic I own. Does anyone know who I can plug this into my amp? It has a different connection.

Hi Walrus. Most amps will have both a canon input and a jack input. While all instruments/mikes will work in both, normally mikes are plugged into canon inputs, so you'll probably need a canon to canon lead with your 58 but a canon to jack will get you out of hole. They're only about 20 quid I think if you need one.

Just to be sure cause I wouldn't be well up on gear, stick up a pic of the amp you're using.

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    Hi Walrus. Most amps will have both a canon input and a jack input. While all instruments/mikes will work in both, normally mikes are plugged into canon inputs, so you'll probably need a canon to canon lead with your 58 but a canon to jack will get you out of hole. They're only about 20 quid I think if you need one.

Just to be sure cause I wouldn't be well up on gear, stick up a pic of the amp you're using.

Like such?

mcFWrOVHWE2dUBLYlrYgGAA.jpg

Like such?

mcFWrOVHWE2dUBLYlrYgGAA.jpg

Hi Walrus. What you have there is an adapter that allows you connect a canon lead into a jack so you can plug it into your amp/mixing desk. What we need to know is what input do you have on your amp? If the jack on the end of that adapter in your pic is the only thing that will go into your amp then you need to get a canon to jack lead for your microphone. Canon onto your mick, jack into your amp.

I was just thinking if you already have that adapter in your possession(the one in the picture) than get a canon to canon lead(music shop will know what that is) and use the adapter to plug it into your amp. You'd be better off with a canon to canon lead for the future if you go gigging.

Its hard to know what you need when we don't know exactly what gear you are using.

Advertisement