Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tricking dosbox into thinking I am installing off a Cd

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

Just wondering if anyone here could help .

I'm trying to install an old DOS game , tie fighter on windows 8 . I have the game in a folder on my desktop with the installation files inside it . I go into Dosbox and I mount that folder as a D drive . Then I run the install.exe file . The installation program opens but when I choose max or min install I get the following

"You cannot select this install option while running the install option from the hard driver , please run the install program from the cd drive if you wish to choose this option "

So is there any way I can make dosbox belive that the file is running off a cd ?

Thanks if you can help

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hi,

Looking at the Dosboxing mounting wiki http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT
    MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom

Extra cd options :
    -t [floppy|cdrom] Define how the mounted folder should behave to the emulated operating system.
    -usecd [drive #] For direct hardware emulation ie: audio playback, etc.
    -cd = Generate a list of local CD ROM drive's "drive #" values
    -label [name] = Set the volume name of the drive (all caps)
    -ioctl = Lowest level of hardware access (Win 2K, XP and Linux)...follows the -usecd command

EDIT : This might also help :
    http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=35185

EDIT EDIT :
    I found a workaround (this link here helped: http://www.resolveitcomputers.com/how-to-play-tie-fighter-on-a-newer-pc). To put it short, I made an ISO file from my CD, mounted it in DOSBox using

imgmount d D:\Pelit\CD\TIECD.iso -t iso

and ran the install program within DOSBox. All 3 install options were now available!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Eddhorse is probably the right way to do it but I remember multiple times with the likes of X-com and Darklight Conflict and a few others I got around this error by dragging the game icons onto the Dosbox icon rather than typing out commands, no idea why that worked but it did. not sure if that even works in Windows 10 now, it was a good while ago in XP I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sometimes is just handier to take the hit and buy in again from GOG and let them deal with the installation hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

This mightn't be useful since its years since I tried it but I remember dosbox frontends like d-fend being available which took a lot of this kind of hassle away.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

thanks a mill for the ideas , the eddhorse way above worked , love this game , goodbye life .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great news !

Advertisement