Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Wild Cat - Pictures Attached

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My dad caught a few pictures of a large wild cat in a local woods this morning. The pictures were taken using a trail camera which takes a picture automatically when it detects movement.
    The cat appears to be huge when compared to pictures of other animals taken from the same vantage point.
    Has anyone seen anything like it?
    I would love to hear any information/stories you might have about Irish wild cats.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I don't see much difference in size with another cat, or with the otter. Just looks like a normal housecat to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

There may have been wildcats in Ireland in the past (though I haven't read the paper, referenced in this article: http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2008/04/european_cats_part_iii.php). And long ago, it seems lynx existed here (http://www.sciencespin.com/magazine/archive/2009/07/visiting-irelands-wild-past-/). But I think it is very unlikely that you're dad has found a wildcat (as opposed to feral).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Looks like your regular house cat to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Wild cats are usually tabby not tortie

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I dont know but Otters are fairly big way bigger than a cat, and the size
    of the two look very similar, saying that I dont know what it is either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

wild cats are tabbby and have tufts of hair on their ears ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Morganna wrote: »
    wild cats are tabbby and have tufts of hair on their ears ,

I don't think this is true - perhaps you're thinking of lynx or bobcat? Regardless, it's probably not relevant when only domestic cats exist in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's just a well fed feral cat, I caught one only a couple of weeks ago trying to get into our pen and it was eight and a half pounds weight.The scars are from him trying to get through the fence.
    http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1302/catoe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I dont know but Otters are fairly big way bigger than a cat, and the size
    of the two look very similar, saying that I dont know what it is either!

Not true. Plenty of small otters would be 'cat sized'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

These are known as Phantom cats.

The UK tabloids frequently report on them. most end up being domestic cats unless something has escaped from a private zoo. You would have more of a chance of spotting an unusual cat in the North of Ireland than any other place on the British Isles because of the lax licensing laws for keeping exotic pets there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

That's a feral cat - just a cat gone wild. Ireland hasn't had wildcats for years.
    This is a wildcat

indexheader1.jpg

They are massive compared to a housecat. Seen a few up climbing in the Highlands and a few roadkills as well.
    Notice the rings on the tails.

Edit: Highlands of Scotland that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭martina_670

drakshug wrote: »
    That's a feral cat - just a cat gone wild. Ireland hasn't had wildcats for years.
    This is a wildcat

indexheader1.jpg

They are massive compared to a housecat. Seen a few up climbing in the Highlands and a few roadkills as well.
    Notice the rings on the tails.

Edit: Highlands of Scotland that is.
    wow, the eyes on him, i bet he means business. beautiful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Feral cats in general seem so healthy. I've one regularly passing through here and he's so fat, also responsible for taking one of my young hens :(
    partly explains his good condition

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭martina_670

Thats nature, sad :(
    by the way your weather station is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Interesting this should crop up in the news, it's in Scotland but worth the read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8656855.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

grmcom wrote: »
    My dad caught a few pictures of a large wild cat in a local woods this morning.

:D:D:D I'm afraid this is no WIld Cat. It's probably not even feral. It's just a moggie on the prowl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

:D:D:D I'm afraid this is no WIld Cat. It's probably not even feral. It's just a moggie on the prowl!

Yea its not large. zoom and look at the size of the ivy plant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I put myself forward for a slagging here but I'm convinced I saw a black panther/cougar type cat in Marley Park about 7-8 years ago. It was winter months and was walking behind and to the right of the mini railway.
    It was massive and had a long tail that curved away from it and upwards.

I was in shock for hours afterwards. Told the wardens but I think it gave them good fuel for a laugh over post-shift beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

E39MSport wrote: »
    I put myself forward for a slagging here but I'm convinced I saw a black panther/cougar type cat in Marley Park about 7-8 years ago. It was winter months and was walking behind and to the right of the mini railway.
    It was massive and had a long tail that curved away from it and upwards.

I was in shock for hours afterwards. Told the wardens but I think it gave them good fuel for a laugh over post-shift beers.

Usually funny season is around the end of summer not winter:D:D. Heard of other sightings in Marley Park though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Usually funny season is around the end of summer not winter:D:D. Heard of other sightings in Marley Park though

Big cat sightings? I would be very interested to hear about that as I'm convinced of what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bariga

I looked at these cat pictures . This is a feral domestic cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its a female tortoiseshell housecat; probably belongs to someone up the road.
    Could you post the make and model of the trail cam? The images are a nice quality. I'm tempted to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

x2

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

BBC's Autumnwatch featured some possible wild cat film from the Cairngorms last night. I think the presenter was Irish, Liz Bonnin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

recedite wrote: »
    Its a female tortoiseshell housecat; probably belongs to someone up the road.
    Could you post the make and model of the trail cam? The images are a nice quality. I'm tempted to get one.

from the pictures i think its one of these

http://www.reconyx.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If this was a wild cat would he have his back turned to the camera, I would have thought a wild cat would spot you and your camera before you spot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ppink wrote: »
    If this was a wild cat would he have his back turned to the camera, I would have thought a wild cat would spot you and your camera before you spot him.
    Please read first post :)
    The pictures were taken using a trail camera which takes a picture automatically when it detects movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Here's the exact model, not on their own website for some reason, maybe a discontinued model.
    Some good stuff under "useful information" on bottom left of this webpage
    http://www.trailcampro.com/reconyxrc60horeview.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Mothman wrote: »
    Please read first post :)

:D funny I "read" it a few times but completely missed that vital bit :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Looks like a brindle patterened domestic shothaired cat to me. Anyone ever seen any large wild cats in Ireland?

I know there have been reported sightings in Northern Ireland. Its presumed they were pet cougars or other large cats which were released into the wild. Northern Ireland has more relaxed laws about pet ownership than the Republic apparently. You couldnt keep a pet lion or tiger in the Republic - imagine taking one of those for a walk - nobody would go near you!

And how many tins of Whiskas would it eat? Imagine the size of the litter tray....:D

Advertisement