Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

owl type

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Saw an owl yesterday around lunch time while out with the dog mayo/sligo border not a barn owl. I thought myself that it was slightly bigger than a barn owl brown in colour. Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

lofty95 wrote: »
    Saw an owl yesterday around lunch time while out with the dog mayo/sligo border not a barn owl. I thought myself that it was slightly bigger than a barn owl brown in colour. Any ideas

Hi lofty 95,

Depends on the part of the border really!

Habitat is your best clue, if it's woodland or mixed farmland with mature trees and hedges, then long-eared owl is more likely. If it's open bog or mountain, then short-eared owl is possible (much less likely, but much more active in daylight than other owls).

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Would defo go short ear. Usualyy flushed from the ground in dunes or long grass during the day. ''bigger than a barn owl and brown'' doesn't fit long ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lofty95

it would be mixed farmland mainly, i had thought it was possibly a long eared by the colouration but was very surprised as i have never seen one in thirty years in the area

Advertisement