Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Amateurs

• 28-10-2005 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

another good reason to get rid of the ****ing things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

No they didnt ... i was watching .. it was above! I was actually impressed with the highlights (i dont usually say that about RTÉ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

That patronising ad about widescreen on RTE really pisses me off at the moment. They don't know how to use it right themselves yet try to patronise the viewers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Come on, you only have to look at the likes of Winning Streak sets or their ham-fisted editing of cutting into ad breaks to see their lack of even semi-professional status when it comes to production values.

Most homemade sets look....well, homemade....unintentionally camp, garishly decorated and lit, and frankly like something an art student in the 70's would have come up with given a big enough budget.

I know it's the in-thing to bash RTÉ, but they leave them selves so open to it...it really really pains me to hand over €150 every year to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Wertz wrote:
    Most homemade sets look....well, homemade....unintentionally camp, garishly decorated and lit, and frankly like something an art student in the 70's would have come up with given a big enough budget.

The Fair City sets are the Glenroe sets,just re-done :D

tvnutz wrote:
    The Fair City sets are the Glenroe sets,just re-done :D

...and you know what really gets me about it, is that if you stick on the likes of About the House or whatever, the interior designers on there can come up with some very nice contemporary styles on a budget...why doesn't RTE employ the calibre of people like this and put some quality into their set production?
    I mean all they'd have to do is knock a few % off the wages they pay their "big names" to cover the fees, instead of getting some office hack to do the set design on the back of a beermat at lunchtime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I still dont see the big deal with the onscreen logos, I still think that they are a good idea, especialy for analogue cable. I have to tune in the stations on the TV and I tell you, it is a real PITA having to tune in the channel, then find the channel on another TV just to ID it.

Okay, some channels really messed up:
    Disney Channel/+1/Toon Disney/Playhouse Disney
    BBC Three
    ABC1
    MTV

But I still think that a correctly placed logo is acceptable, and I also think that Sky should put back the logos on the movie channels between showings, my friends still get them on analogue you know.

I still dont see the big deal with the onscreen logos, I still think that they are a good idea, especialy for analogue cable. I have to tune in the stations on the TV and I tell you, it is a real PITA having to tune in the channel, then find the channel on another TV just to ID it.

Okay, some channels really messed up:
    Disney Channel/+1/Toon Disney/Playhouse Disney
    BBC Three
    ABC1
    MTV

But I still think that a correctly placed logo is acceptable, and I also think that Sky should put back the logos on the movie channels between showings, my friends still get them on analogue you know.

I think most people's real problem with the DOGs (as far as RTÉ is concerned at least) is the bloody size of them...and I personally have a problem with the placement of them too...TV3 rarely receive praise from me, but they have their DOG in a much better placement than RTÉ's (lower right corner as opposed to upper left; it matters as our eyes read from top left to bottom right), it's a better size, and it's semi transparent (although I think montrose have recently followed suit)....basically it doesn't interfere with the picture so much and isn't as hard to ignore.

Do we really need;
    RTÉ ONE or RTÉ TWO
    where a simple graphic/logo could convey the information a lot less obstructively?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I agree. It's bad enough when commercial broadcasters throw idents all over the place, but even worse when the broadcasters whom we pay via our license insist on throwing their brand in my face.

Not sure if it's just my TV, but a lot of the time, I find the logos aren't far enough into the corner either.

Off Topic: Wertz: Love that sig! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Wertz wrote:
    Do we really need;
    RTÉ ONE or RTÉ TWO
    where a simple graphic/logo could convey the information a lot less obstructively?

Umm... its not like its blocking half the screen!

Umm... its not like its blocking half the screen!

Well of course not...but just quickly channel hop between RTÉ1 and TV3 and compare DOGs...the TV3 (stylized 3 logo) is fully half the size of either of the RTÉ DOGs and is offset further into the corner.

Many people have complained to Montrose about DOGs with seemingly little results...which shows that they think they know better than their viewers...yet more evidence of their amateurishness and seeming unwillingness to take feedback onboard in any aspect of their output.

As I said before, it pains me greatly to hand over 150 notes to the bunch of cronies...

Oh and cheers Byte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

The €150 licence fee is worth it for Fair City alone. It's funnier than Carl Spain, Tommy Tiernan, and that phoney yank idiot put together.

sturgo wrote:
    The €150 licence fee is worth it for Fair City alone.
    *head explodes*
    Sturgo wrote:
    It's funnier than Carl Spain, Tommy Tiernan, and that phoney yank idiot put together.

Oh wait...you were being sarcastic...my bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

It only costs RTE €150 to produce a full episode of Fair City. The actors don't get paid, but are allowed to live on the Fair City set for free. Which is basically two porta-cabins and a bus stop at the back of some car park in Montrose.

Advertisement