Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE airing The Bill with Andrew Lancel- suspect facing Child Sex charges

Options
  • 12-12-2012 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

In my humble opinion , RTE tends to omit a lot of facts when it comes to factual information on current affairs, politics, world affairs etc, presumably to protect our little Irish brains from being overworked.

I was surprised tonight to learn a man has left his current job in Panto as he is facing child sex abuse charges. However, I was similarly surprised to learn that he (Andrew Lancel) is currently staring in The Bill , being broadcast on RTE.

What should they do about this? Should they just leave it be and hope it goes away , or would it be in the best interest to take someone, who could be a potential embarrassment , off the air?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Leave it be, it was filmed a good few years ago now. If they were to show episodes without Andrew Lancel, they'd have to go quite a bit back. Also, he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

MarkMc wrote: »
    Leave it be, it was filmed a good few years ago now. If they were to show episodes without Andrew Lancel, they'd have to go quite a bit back. Also, he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

Yes good point. I am just open to opinion. I suppose I am just wondering is RTE aware and happy with their stance on this issue, and is there clarity as to their position on such issues. I am aware of future, closer to home situations that might raise there head after xmas and highlighting this issue now to compare how that will be handled should it emerge

I really don't see what his private life has to do with any work he has done in the past. If any broadcaster was to take the decision not to air any shot that featured a star who had allegations of child sex abuse leveled at them then you'd be surprised by how many shows and films would suddenly no longer be shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm not sure why it would be necessary to stop rerunning tv shows or films because of potential charges or even convictions. By this logic, Roman Polanski films should never be aired or even Naked Gun because OJ was in them. Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Beetlejuice would also be blacklisted because of Jeffrey Jones. I could name numerous other things that would have to be blacklisted, t'would seem rather silly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Very very silly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

dchris wrote: »
    I am just wondering is RTE aware

I doubt if RTE would take much of an interest in the cast names of a programme it shows after 1am in the morning.

Does anyone know what viewing numbers RTE get for these "middle of the night" programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

brian_t wrote: »
    I doubt if RTE would take much of an interest in the cast names of a programme it shows after 1am in the morning.

Does anyone know what viewing numbers RTE get for these "middle of the night" programmes.

I'd also be interested in this, all I know is I look forward to the bill at 1am!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Funnily enough I haven't seen the first series of The Thick of It recently. Do they rerun that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Funnily enough I haven't seen the first series of The Thick of It recently. Do they rerun that?

RTE have shown Series 1 since Chris Langham was convicted, which is more than the BBC ever did.

I would be disappointed if RTE stopped showing The Bill because one of the actors is facing charges, it won't benefit anyone.

Advertisement