Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE are a disgrace

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The free-to-air list (which includes the olympics) includes major competitions that have an ongoing level of interest with a national team taking part in such as 6 nations rugby, All Ireland Finals, Euro/World Cup qualifiers etc
    And even then euro and world qualifiers shouldn't be included. The lists varies from country to country (for example the British have "preserved" the Grand National), the French the Tour de france etc etc)

This thread is hilarious BTW. The word "disgrace" should be banned in this forum.

BWT RTE's coverage of the olympics is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just on the subject yes it is a disgrace that there isn't even highlights, tut tut...

But on another note does it take anything away from his last 2 major wins that the world number 1 Tiger Woods wasn't there? I hate to think it and all credit is due to Padraig but does it take a slight shine off? opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The free-to-air list (which includes the olympics) includes major competitions that have an ongoing level of interest with a national team taking part in such as 6 nations rugby, All Ireland Finals, Euro/World Cup qualifiers etc. There is no chance that the government mandarins could predict that an Irish man could do well in one particular US golf tournament and therefore add it to the list. Highlights are not included.
    Yeah thought as much. It's too difficult to predict.

MOG7 wrote: »
    But on another note does it take anything away from his last 2 major wins that the world number 1 Tiger Woods wasn't there? I hate to think it and all credit is due to Padraig but does it take a slight shine off? opinions?
    If that's the case you might as well start rewriting history as there is always going to be someone that's not there, not fit, having a bad hair day, etc. etc.

Ye good point, some golf he played though, all credit is due...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyway golf is'nt an olympic sport anymore so unfortunately Padraig cant add olympic gold to his clutch of brilliant acheivements,

It's due for a comeback at the 2016 Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Morgans

On RTE's coverage of the Olympics. Jon Kenny and Nick O'Hare have made watching the Swimming on RTE impossible to enjoy. If Jon Kenny was given 12 hours notice that he was covering the sport, his commentaries mioght be excusable, as he could not do a worse job. Spends 90% of the commentry worrying about the world record split and counting down the meters 400, 350, 300, etc. Something a semi-intelligent monkey could do. Nothing interesting about the swimmers and more importantly pretty much nothing about how the race in developing. Reminds me of a 1950s grand national commentry where the commentator had to use binoculars to see shadows of jockeys and horses a mile away. What is Kenny's excuse? One of the heats was won by a French girl who put in a power packed finish in lane 7, but of course, as it wasnt in lanes 4,5 or 6, so Kenny didnt know her name, and when it was clear that she got the touch, Kenny says "Where did she come from?". The favourite (known name in lane 4) might start disappointingly but because Kenny knows his/her name, the race is about him/her, with the leaders and the actual shape of the race ignored.

They should hve resucitated Jim Sherwin, who even in his doddery almost senile commentaries toward the end of his career displayed some sort of enjoyment and appreciation of the sport, rather than the codswallop Kenny presents. Over to BBC for the rest of the week for me.

If only there was a way of Sky Plussing Gary O'Toole's analysis. The best pundit of any sport in the world, bar none.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If they spent less money on crap like Failte Towers, and maybe got rid of Pat Kenny, they'd have had loads of money to show it!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Have to say myself, as a struggling musician that "RTE supporting the arts" annoys me most. Every RTE ad or program seems to have music by an English or American band, very rarely have I heard an Irish band used.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

beertons wrote: »
    If they spent less money on crap like Failte Towers, and maybe got rid of Pat Kenny, they'd have had loads of money to show it!

Honestly, how much money do you think a reality TV show about a hotel costs to make? You wouldn't get an hour of the PGA Championship for the entire budget of that show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

RTE will never be the BBC or Sky, even if there was a major change in management. They just dont have the shillings and never could. (unless... maybe Mick O'Leary would be interested in running the place??)

IMO the less sport shown on national telly the better, cos I hate watching most sports (except interational soccer)

If RTE were to only pay for and show sport events were local teams/players do well, then you would never be watching the Irish football team playing!

The Olympics coverage I expect would draw more in more viewership than the PGA would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Trampas wrote: »
    I think the BBC have lost the tourneys the showed next year.

Only have the open and masters now. I think Sky have the rest

Nah Sky have Thursday and Friday coverage, BBC the weekend and I think highlights.

RTE are excellent at covering sport in general but their golf coverage is poor. Its not just a minority sport here, dont we have something like the most golf courses per head of popultion around. We've had 3 Irish out of 12 at the Ryder cup 3 times in a row, pretty staggering if you ask me. The amount of golf they show is pathetic really. I subscribe to Sky and love their coverage, they havent ruined sport but its important that there is a level of free sport on the tv.

I'm not sure of the courses to head of population stat but it wouldn't surprise me. We do iirc have more links golf courses than any other country in the world which for a country of our size is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

themont85 wrote: »
    RTE are excellent at covering sport in general but their golf coverage is poor. Its not just a minority sport here, dont we have something like the most golf courses per head of popultion around. We've had 3 Irish out of 12 at the Ryder cup 3 times in a row, pretty staggering if you ask me. The amount of golf they show is pathetic really. I subscribe to Sky and love their coverage, they havent ruined sport but its important that there is a level of free sport on the tv.

how many times? Sky have the european tour rights (bar the odd British based event on BBC) so RTE can't show them. And highlights packages aren't worth it

We do iirc have more links golf courses than any other country in the world which for a country of our size is amazing.
    Not really that amazing considering that a links course is a course on the coast and we're an island nation.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not really that amazing considering that a links course is a course on the coast and we're an island nation.

Still considering the lenght of our coast line to pretty much any country beside the sea in the world is still suprising imo.

Still considering the lenght of our coast line to pretty much any country beside the sea in the world is still suprising imo.
    Ahh so you've gone from "Amazing" to "Surprising"? Ha. :p;)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ahh so you've gone from "Amazing" to "Surprising"? Ha. :p;)

Well there not far from being the same thing, either way its amazingly surprising:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stay on topic or thread closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Lets forget about the Sport on RTE!
    Everything, EVERYTHING is wrong with RTE, terrible amature homemade shows, Presenters arent great, only 3 channels with terrible quality of shows which I can watch on UK channels anyway and we have to pay a massive TV Lisense, its a complete joke.
    Fair City, worst soap ever worst acting ever
    News, not that great besides Anne Doyle, best presenter on Irish TV tbh,
    Documentries, terrible about stuff not relevant to now all about past hardships and usually copied anyway.
    Reality TV, haha lets not start on Irish reality tv.. Celeb farm was just bad enough honestly..
    Radio is the only strong point of Irish media and at that its dated so thats a joke. TV in this country is a complete joke it is amaterish at best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

SIGH....
    Resi12 wrote: »
    Lets forget about the Sport on RTE!
    Everything, EVERYTHING is wrong with RTE, terrible amature homemade shows, Presenters arent great, only 2 channels with terrible quality of shows which I can watch on UK channels anyway and we have to pay a massive TV Lisense, its a complete joke.
    Fair City, worst soap ever worst acting ever
    News, not that great besides Anne Doyle, best looking presenter on Irish TV tbh,
    Documentries, terrible about stuff not relevant to now all about past hardships and usually copied anyway.
    Reality TV, haha lets not start on Irish reality tv.. Celeb farm was just bad enough honestly..
    Radio is the only strong point of Irish media and at that its dated so thats a joke. TV in this country is a complete joke it is amaterish at best
    FYP

Oh.... and in before lock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is going no where fast. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement