Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE are a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They used to have Masters coverage.
    They showed none of the Masters this year for the first time in ages.
    Personally I like Sky's coverage,its top notch .
    By the way these coverage deals are negotiated years in advance not on the weekend of the event !
    On a side note its refreshing to see an Irish sports person do well instead of all the no hopers at the Olympics.

true, not sure what happened this year. Masters rights are negotiated year on year, possibly price was too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

K4t wrote: »
    Yes, instead they give us hours of 'no hopers' finishing last in Beijing. Nice one.
    Maybe you could say that to John Joe Joyce after he's tried to sell you some underfelt.
    Me thinks you have 0 arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Yes, instead they give us hours of 'no hopers' finishing last in Beijing. Nice one.
    Your knowledge in this thread would finish last in the Olympics to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

copacetic wrote: »
    true, not sure what happened this year. Masters rights are negotiated year on year, possibly price was too high.

It was on Setanta I remember so they must have poached it off RTE .

Would you prefer that RTE didn't show the olympics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Your knowledge in this thread would finish last in the Olympics to be honest.
    Sorry If I have better things to be doing than learning about the ins and outs of TV rights. The fact is, S*y have ruined modern sport and the viewers are suffering.

Sorry If I have better things to be doing than learning about the ins and outs of TV rights. The fact is, S*y have ruined modern sport and the viewers are suffering.
    And you arguement for that statement is .......?

newbie2 wrote: »
    Would you prefer that RTE didn't show the olympics?
    No, but I was typing in relation to your remark on 'where' the athlete(s) are competing. Your not a GAA man by any chance are you?

newbie2 wrote: »
    And you arguement for that statement is .......?
    Read pages 1,2 and 3 of this thread.

Sorry If I have better things to be doing than learning about the ins and outs of TV rights.

But you seem so learned

So you're telling me that no National broadcaster in the world has USPGA Golf Major highlights? and that Sky have it all
    Why do they have the Irish rights? Because RTE let them?
    RTE would never get full live coverage off of S*y anyway. .
    Surely they could budget in a 30 minute highlights reel ffs?
    Of course RTE could afford it. They can afford 'Masters' highlights can't they? They can afford 'F1 and MotorGP too'. Bollix they were priced out of it.

• Advertisement

Congratulations, you can multi quote. ^

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

For what it's worth it was broadcast unencrypted on satellite at 28.2 degrees:

Freq 12110 MHz
    Polarisation Horizontal
    FEC 2/3
    Symbol Rate 27500

The only problem was that it was marked encrypted so sky digiboxes couldn't show it.

Thanks uncle Rupert,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Congratulations, you can multi quote. ^

Congratulations, you're a tool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

keane2097 wrote: »
    This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship..!

Its not often I blush....

but...

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

it was live on skysports.com for free too! I won a few bob, wont pay for Sky Sports tho! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ManofMunster

my recollection of life before sky was sports stadium on saturday afternoons (maybe a live soccer match, a bit of F1, or just a bunch of horse races from tramore and punchestown), and match of the day on a saturday night. SKY have revolutionised sports broadcasting and if you're a big enough fan of golf you'll have splashed the cash on the sky sports package to see padraig clinch his third major.

otherwise you'll just have to settle for reading all about it in a late edition of a paper tomorrow. it's not rte's fault - just market forces. get over it.

my recollection of life before sky was sports stadium on saturday afternoons (maybe a live soccer match, a bit of F1, or just a bunch of horse races from tramore and punchestown), and match of the day on a saturday night. SKY have revolutionised sports broadcasting and if you're a big enough fan of golf you'll have splashed the cash on the sky sports package to see padraig clinch his third major.

otherwise you'll just have to settle for reading all about it in a late edition of a paper tomorrow. it's not rte's fault - just market forces. get over it.
    Sorry, but that's the kind of attitude that lets dictators come to power. I won't ever pay up. S*y are Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

S*y are Scum.
    What makes you say that? Lets face it, they paid the money for the rights, they broadcast it. End of.
    If it wasnt for sky, or digital television as a whole, there would be a major chance that noone would have been watching the golf earlier.
    It is silly to suggest rte should pay fortunes to show something that people are only interested in now because padraig did well in it, as a previous poster said, this is organised years in advance, not a few days.
    And of all sports, golf is surely the one where fans who really want to watch it will likely already have sky, or at least have the means to get it, as, lets face it, golf is an affluent sport.
    On the other hand, people who would only have an interest in it because of padraig, wouldn't likely be overly put out by reading a report in the paper. Obviously, they would rather watch it, but would get over it if they couldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Are you serious?!....your now comparing TV Sports rights to dictatorship!?

2043-fail-camera.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I have no problem with RTE not showing highlights or even live PGA. They can't compete with Sky and even if they could they wouldnt be able to justify the huge cash on it at the expense of other shows. Sky will only sell at a reasonable price if they are forced to by law. Look at the Lions tours, certain Irish int, tennis ect.

Rte do generally give us good sports coverage, especially soccer, GAA and boxing. They do lack rugby at times but where i would lambast them is their golf coverage. It comprises of the Irish Open and highlights of the Ryder cup-both of which are basically given to them. Where as i said above i have no problem with not having USPGA or even US Open golf, there is little excuse for other events. The Masters and British Open are more than affordable for them against Setanta Ireland, in fact the organisers of these events would prefer them on terestrial but RTE obviousely are holding back. The BBC gets something like 4 events a year from the Euro tour, mainly cos they want some free golf. There is no reason for there not to be such a deal with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think the BBC have lost the tourneys the showed next year.

Only have the open and masters now. I think Sky have the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK lads,

1. Keep it civil or I'll lock this thread.
    2. Sky is not a swear word, so you can say it. Sky Sky Sky Sky.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Isn't there a European law that allows National Broadcasters to show sporting events that have a national interest? It was used when the FAI tried to sell the rights to Sky. Although with that one I think it was as much the fault of the Government as they were supposed to list all the events when the law was originally brought into use.

I'm not sure if this law could be used for the golf though as who would've known that Harrington would've been doing so well this time last year. However, golf is extremely popular in this country so you'd imagine they could've at least went for highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Mr E wrote: »
    2. Sky is not a swear word, so you can say it. Sky Sky Sky Sky.... :)
    I imagine it's a silly play on the fact that The Sun newspaper is ofter referred to as The S*n by Liverpool supporters over a particualr headline, and the owner of both The Sun and Sky is one and the same. Childish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I don't mind RTE not being able to give live coverage of the USPGA Championship as nobody can compete with S*y these days. However, not even highlights? WTF. We have one of the greatest Irish sportperson in the world competing at his peak at the moment and winning Major Championships and RTE seem to just not care.

I saw an advert a few minutes ago, RTE boasting about all the sports coverage they'll be giving over the next few months. Now I don't mean any offence here when I say this, but why are RTE showing wall to wall Olympics coverage of Irish athletes who aren't going to even get medals when we have a world class performer in Golf (one of the biggest sports in the world) winning Major Championships. No disrespect to the Irish Olympians who should be very proud.

We can't all afford to shell out our hard earned cash to M*rdoch and I expect far more from our national broadcaster who we pay our liscence fees to.

Anyway, well done Pad-rag. It's just ashame I and so many ordianry Irish people couldn't watch you claiming your third major. Keep it up.

Your attitude toward our Olympians is terrible, you are basically calling them losers when we have 2 or 3 great shouts for medals in boxing. It is not the Olympics that put the USPGA out, it is their other terrestrial line up as due to timeline differences they could easily fit both in. Anyway golf is'nt an olympic sport anymore so unfortunately Padraig cant add olympic gold to his clutch of brilliant acheivements, 3 majors, a order of merit title and a world cup of golf title.
    I do agree that RTE are a disgrace in not getting the PGA, I know I'd rather watch golf over Law and Order or Boston Legal or some other crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The fact is, S*y have ruined modern sport and the viewers are suffering.

Not really. I enjoyed the golf coverage last night and I think I would count as a viewer.

Your arguement was dead from the get go. Learn about broadcasting rights before you go making an idiot of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sky's coverage is top notch.... you're just irked because RTE are not showing it.
    To say "Sky have ruined modern sport" is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Isn't there a European law that allows National Broadcasters to show sporting events that have a national interest? It was used when the FAI tried to sell the rights to Sky. Although with that one I think it was as much the fault of the Government as they were supposed to list all the events when the law was originally brought into use.

I'm not sure if this law could be used for the golf though as who would've known that Harrington would've been doing so well this time last year. However, golf is extremely popular in this country so you'd imagine they could've at least went for highlights.

The free-to-air list (which includes the olympics) includes major competitions that have an ongoing level of interest with a national team taking part in such as 6 nations rugby, All Ireland Finals, Euro/World Cup qualifiers etc. There is no chance that the government mandarins could predict that an Irish man could do well in one particular US golf tournament and therefore add it to the list. Highlights are not included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lol at this thread, RTE are rubbish??

they show more live sport than any free to air broadcaster. There Olympic coverage is terrific.
    OP if you were that big a golf fan you would have sky, it looks to me that your a bandwagon boy. If Harrington hadnt won i dont think you'd be complaining.
    SKY is good for sport, because of them the EPL is the strongest league in the world. They have revitalised Darts and Cricket. They have by far the best golf coverage and i really hope the get the US rights back from Setanta after the current deal is up.

Harrington is a legend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement