Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE are a disgrace

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I don't mind RTE not being able to give live coverage of the USPGA Championship as nobody can compete with S*y these days. However, not even highlights? WTF. We have one of the greatest Irish sportperson in the world competing at his peak at the moment and winning Major Championships and RTE seem to just not care.

I saw an advert a few minutes ago, RTE boasting about all the sports coverage they'll be giving over the next few months. Now I don't mean any offence here when I say this, but why are RTE showing wall to wall Olympics coverage of Irish athletes who aren't going to even get medals when we have a world class performer in Golf (one of the biggest sports in the world) winning Major Championships. No disrespect to the Irish Olympians who should be very proud.

We can't all afford to shell out our hard earned cash to M*rdoch and I expect far more from our national broadcaster who we pay our liscence fees to.

Anyway, well done Pad-rag. It's just ashame I and so many ordianry Irish people couldn't watch you claiming your third major. Keep it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I guess I can't really disagree with this - they should have highlights at least.

The man's a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I agree that they should make the effort for the Majors. But they may not have the budget there for the hightlights. Lets be honest, we have had more success at the Olympics than golf majors over the years. So im sure they have budgeted a lot towards the Olympics.

Hindsight is wonderful in criticising them for not having any highlights ... but who may have watched it if they had gotten them and Garcia or A.N other had won?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah just got told by my Dad about this. Would have loved to see it. Padraig's on fire right now!

GBX wrote: »
    I agree that they should make the effort for the Majors. But they may not have the budget there for the hightlights. Lets be honest, we have had more success at the Olympics than golf majors over the years. So im sure they have budgeted a lot towards the Olympics.

Hindsight is wonderful in criticising them for not having any highlights ... but who may have watched it if they had gotten them and Garcia or A.N other had won?

There's a HUGE number of golf fans in Ireland, I'd say they'd get a big viewership either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I know there is a huge viewership of golfers in Ireland. and yes there would be a lot of people watching highlights or live.
    All im saying is they prioritised the Olympics and other sports. We have f ck all control over what they choose for us. Its fantastic that Harrington has won, but im sure they had there schedules made up well before this weekend and up to before he won the open.

There is always gonna be dissapointment for sports fans, especially on these shores. Im sure there are other sports fans who get dissapointed when they see golf and other sports on RTE be it live or highlights and their sport is being played simultaneously and Ireland produces a winner or multiple champion and its not shown on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's a HUGE number of golf fans in Ireland, I'd say they'd get a big viewership either way...
    True.

Granted, if Harrington wasn't playing or had to pull out, the full coverage may not have attracted many viewers, but RTE would never get full live coverage off of S*y anyway. I definitely believe RTE would have got enough viewers for the 'highlights' regardless of whether Harrington won or wasn't playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Simple fact is RTE can't afford events like this....get over it:rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

K4t wrote: »
    I don't mind RTE not being able to give live coverage of the USPGA Championship as nobody can compete with S*y these days. However, not even highlights? WTF. We have one of the greatest Irish sportperson in the world competing at his peak at the moment and winning Major Championships and RTE seem to just not care.

I saw an advert a few minutes ago, RTE boasting about all the sports coverage they'll be giving over the next few months. Now I don't mean any offence here when I say this, but why are RTE showing wall to wall Olympics coverage of Irish athletes who aren't going to even get medals when we have a world class performer in Golf (one of the biggest sports in the world) winning Major Championships. No disrespect to the Irish Olympians who should be very proud.

We can't all afford to shell out our hard earned cash to M*rdoch and I expect far more from our national broadcaster who we pay our liscence fees to.

Anyway, well done Pad-rag. It's just ashame I and so many ordianry Irish people couldn't watch you claiming your third major. Keep it up.

How do you know RTE didn't try and negotiate a highlights package but were priced out of it?

When you get a response from RTE then come back and tell us what the score is but no need to make presumptions on the spur of the moment.

Maybe like you RTE can't justifying giving cash to Murdock for the highlights package, after all he owns the rights in Ireland. Why would he bother selling it to RTE?

There is always gonna be dissapointment for sports fans, especially on these shores. Im sure there are other sports fans who get dissapointed when they see golf and other sports on RTE be it live or highlights and their sport is being played simultaneously and Ireland produces a winner or multiple champion and its not shown on RTE.

Yeah but golf is gonna satisfy a lot of people. What you're talking about is some random guy into some random minority sport - golf is about as mainstream as it gets, and we have a guy right at the pinnacle of it with no coverage on terrestrial TV. It's bad.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How do you know RTE didn't try and negotiate a highlights package but were priced out of it?

When you get a response from RTE then come back and tell us what the score is but no need to make presumptions on the spur of the moment.

They should increase the price of the TV license and get the golf imo...

• Advertisement

I know there is a huge viewership of golfers in Ireland. and yes there would be a lot of people watching highlights or live.
    All im saying is they prioritised the Olympics and other sports. We have f ck all control over what they choose for us. Its fantastic that Harrington has won, but im sure they had there schedules made up well before this weekend and up to before he won the open.

Surely they could budget in a 30 minute highlights reel ffs?

Can RTE honestly say that they're getting a higher number of viewers watching Olympic heats during the day than they would of 'A Golf Major with Irish participants at night time' when people are at home from work?

RTE fail to deliver once again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thread moved to Television. Sorry mods, move back if wanted and I will lock it.

Not a golf forum thread and possibly someone over here can help the OP understand that buying something that isn't for sale is a bit difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Talkin out of your arse mate.

Bluetonic wrote: »

Maybe like you RTE can't justifying giving cash to Murdock for the highlights package, after all he owns the rights in Ireland. Why would he bother selling it to RTE?
    Of course RTE could afford it. They can afford 'Masters' highlights can't they? They can afford 'F1 and MotorGP too'. Bollix they were priced out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Archimedes wrote: »

+1

Well they just mentioned it on the Olympics program on RTE2 there anyhow.

Hard to justify an increase of the license fee to bid for all the masters. It would be too costly, and given the time for instance of the US PGA advertising revenue would fall short to cover the cost.

The majority of people who play or have an interest in golf will have access via SKY or as I did on CBS via t'internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Also they should stop making crap like 'off the rails' and 'the twenty somethings' or whatever its called. And RTE News need a geography lesson after reporting on the Georgian conflict at the moment and putting up a picture of Georgia, USA.

Of course RTE could afford it. They can afford 'Masters' highlights can't they? They can afford 'F1 and MotorGP too'. Bollix they were priced out of it.

rte don't have masters highlights, they have masters coverage. it is done on a seperate standalone deal and the masters try to keep it to terrestrial only.

the rights for the pga are sold as a package and sky have the whole thing. There are no 'highlights' rights available. You don't seem to have the first idea about the whole topic.

Lots of rambling and little actual fact there, one of the two sports you say they can afford they don't even show.

Conor108 wrote: »
    Also they should stop making crap like 'off the rails' and 'the twenty somethings' or whatever its called. And RTE News need a geography lesson after reporting on the Georgian conflict at the moment and putting up a picture of Georgia, USA.
    Agree.
    copacetic wrote: »
    rte don't have masters highlights, they have masters coverage. it is done on a seperate standalone deal and the masters try to keep it to terrestrial only.

the rights for the pga are sold as a package and sky have the whole thing. There are no 'highlights' rights available. You don't seem to have the first idea about the whole topic.
    So you're telling me that no National broadcaster in the world has USPGA Golf Major highlights? and that Sky have it all. What a sad world we live in.

• Advertisement

Agree.
    So you're telling me that no National broadcaster in the world has USPGA Golf Major highlights? and that Sky have it all. What a sad world we live in.

No, I'm saying Sky have the Irish rights.

Was a joke mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

WOW,
    it's funny how people jump on the RTE is SH1t bandwagon when their particular interests aren't transmitted. Sundays sport coverage included Olympics from 2am to 3.30pm - GAA fro 3.30pm to 7.00pm More olympics from &.00pm to 9.30pm. More GAA from 9.30 to 11.30pm. ANnd the Horse Show from 3.00pm to 6.00pmish.. 2 days ago Padraig said he wasn't feeling the best and wasn't really give the golf his best shot- now he's doing ok everybody wants to see it - on RTE. IMO you should pay murdoch a few bob and pay for sky. They'll have the coverage.

No, I'm saying Sky have the Irish rights.
    Why do they have the Irish rights? Because RTE let them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Was a joke mate.

Didnt realise that....mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

NO, no and no. RTE is a national broadcaster who's remit is to inform and to a lesser extent entertain the Irish public. Sky have 4 dedicated Sports channels. RTE have 2 channels which have to transmit a wide range of informative programming aimed at the Irish nation. just because one dude is doing ok in a sport in another country doesn't mean that RTE have to pay for the rights to broadcast that particular sport here.

Didnt realise that....mate.

This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship..!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They used to have Masters coverage.
    They showed none of the Masters this year for the first time in ages.
    Personally I like Sky's coverage,its top notch .
    By the way these coverage deals are negotiated years in advance not on the weekend of the event !
    On a side note its refreshing to see an Irish sports person do well instead of all the no hopers at the Olympics.

again no, they were part of overall package for UK and Ireland.

Setanta oubid sky for pga tour for 6 years from 2007.

Sky still have rights to:

US Open
    US PGA Champs
    World Golf Champs (4 events)
    European Tour (excluding BBC events)
    Ryder Cup

Sky's contracts for the European Tour and Ryder Cup run until the end of 2008.

Figures are usually kept secret for these, but estimated to be in the £100million GBP for setanta packae. Or basically an entire years license fee budget for RTÉ.

Setanta and Sky use these deals to get people to sign up to pay TV in Ireland. They don't sell on highlights so people can watch them for free on other channels.

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    NO, no and no. RTE is a national broadcaster who's remit is to inform and to a lesser extent entertain the Irish public. Sky have 4 dedicated Sports channels. RTE have 2 channels which have to transmit a wide range of informative programming aimed at the Irish nation. just because one dude is doing ok in a sport in another country doesn't mean that RTE have to pay for the rights to broadcast that particular sport here.
    Yes, instead they give us hours of 'no hopers' finishing last in Beijing. Nice one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement