Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE and the WC schedule...

Options
  • 22-06-2006 7:53pm

...first big 'oooooops' tonight, showing the match between Japan and Brazil when the real clash is between Oz and Croatia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

god bless interactive on bbc, I am watching whatever I choose, love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I don't agree,

Brazil need a performance this could be it :p

Much rather watch Brazil in full flight than a scrappy affair between two less than average teams

And yes i know its more important in terms of who will get to the last 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

RTE made a good decision for once, once Brazil knocked in their third goal they switched to the last half hour of the Aus-Cro game and it turned out to be one of the most exciting half hour's football of the tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Agreed. It was stupid to show the Brazil match. I watched the Oz-Cro game on BBC interactive also (later realised it was on BBC3 as well).
    RTE and TV3 always do these stupid things. They show the "big" team regardless. In the Champions League they always show Man Utd no matter how attractive and meaningful a fixture may be on the same night. ITV do the same so you end up with ManU on all standard channels.

Surely the Irish channels could show a different game sometimes to the English channels and actually get some viewers as most people will probably watch on the English channel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ludo wrote:
    most people will probably watch on the English channel anyway.

not anyone i know at least. RTÉ is the superior by a huge margin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Rte not completely superior, Hamilton is the worst commentator on anything anywhere. Pundits infinitely better on rte though. Wrong to show the Brazil match, but my daughter's in Spain at the mo and it's really difficult to see ANY games not featuring Spain, so mustn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not anyone i know at least. RTÉ is the superior by a huge margin

Nah...Most people I know watch the actual match on BBC, SKY or even ITV but then switch to RTE for pundits. Commentators on RTE suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Ludo wrote:
    Nah...Most people I know watch the actual match on BBC, SKY or even ITV but then switch to RTE for pundits. Commentators on RTE suck.

Ditto. Irish Commentary sucks they are really bad especially ray houghton.
    Got to love the RTE pundits though they are legend least they say it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ludo wrote:
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. I always listen to Five Live commentary while watching RTÉ picture via the "ears". If O'Neill is on BBC, I'll watch some of their HT coverage, otherwise I'll watch RTÉ's. I never watch ITV studio stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone noticed that RTE can't provide a decent audio feed ever? No matter what the sporting event the sound quality is invariably murky or tinny (like the old days of phone line commentary). Flicking between todays game
    on BBC1 and RTE 2, the beeb was loud and clear while RTE sounded like there was cardboard in front of the speakers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Yes, Rte got the wrong match, and it was fairly obvious from before the competition that Oz v Croatia would be crucial. But I imagine that RTE
    sell advertising rights based on games, & I guess that advertisers would be prepared to pay more for ads during a half-time brazil game. So once half-time has past, they could do switch matches. But I'm only speculating about this, but I can't think of any other reason why rte didn't show the Oz game from the start. After all , there's a lot more Aussies here than Brazilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ludo wrote:

if the World Cup was on Sky i would watch it there too, but sadly it isnt

the BBC have John Motson and Mick McCarthy commentating, enough said about that
    ITV have Champion and Beglin, enough said about that

RTÉ FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that RTE can't provide a decent audio feed ever? No matter what the sporting event the sound quality is invariably murky or tinny (like the old days of phone line commentary). Flicking between todays game
    on BBC1 and RTE 2, the beeb was loud and clear while RTE sounded like there was cardboard in front of the speakers.

Mike.

...and here was me thinking it was just my telly.

If my BBC1 reception wasn't so bad I'd watch the game itself on there...the halftime/fulltime analysis though is waay better on RTE...and of course apres match which is peerless.

As for the whole Brazil or Aus debacle...it didn't really matter that RTE switched at some later stage for me....byt hat time I'd grown bored of the Brazil/Jap game and had simply turned off...I probably ended upmissing one of the better games of the tournament. Not everyone has the benefit of interactive channels. I think RTE's choice on scheduling came soley down to someone in the department preferring the brazillian style of football and negating all else in favour of parading what was always going to be a pedestrain match...

Advertisement