Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Co-parentng - single gay male

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

LLMMML wrote: »
    I think the Iona Insitute have a point, though they misuse it horribly. Two parents living in one home in a stable relationship does seem to be best.

There has been very little scientific finding on this loving stability is what is important there is nothing to say that a co-parenting situation couldn't be stable and loving if done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You're confusing the reasons people have kids with the time they put into that child.

No. Im not. I mentioned Time AND energy AND commitment AND money AND emotions AND support

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Have you a close female friend that would have the baby for you? I know it sounds absurd, but she'd be like a surrogate who doesn't cost a lot :)
    But he's not looking for a surrogate; he's looking for a co-parent. Big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LLMMML

No. Im not. I mentioned Time AND energy AND commitment AND money AND emotions AND support

But the willingness to invest these things is not why people have kids. They want kids because they think it will improve their life. Pretending it's some selfless act because it takes effort is misleading. It's like pretending the time someone spends on a hobby is the same as the time they spend doing something they don't like. Completely different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But the willingness to invest these things is not why people have kids. They want kids because they think it will improve their life. Pretending it's some selfless act because it takes effort is misleading. It's like pretending the time someone spends on a hobby is the same as the time they spend doing something they don't like. Completely different things.

I think its impossible to determine that all people who want children want them purely for selfish reasons.

In addition to think being a parent is actually one of the least selfish things a person does in life.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I think its impossible to determine that all people who want children want them purely for selfish reasons.

In addition to think being a parent is actually one of the least selfish things a person does in life.

I really can't see any other reason for a planned pregnancy other than the fact that at least one of the persons involved WANTS a baby

They do it for themsleves and whatnot brings to their life. Sure, once the baby is conceived their lives become secondary to the child's, and so the act of parenting itself is generally a selfless task.

But intentionally conceiving one is an act motivated by the desires of parents, and what they want.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Advertisement