Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

Very brief background:

Worked mostly in Application support roles in the last few years so I've a bit of grasp on SQL, Windows batch and the usual App support stuff!

Looking for a challenge and want to do some development work.

I was thinking of learning C++ first. I got a book - Jumping into C++ and I'm about to start on that.

However, I eventually would like to be proficient in two or three languages. Historically (I've read) C ++ is a good place to start.

So my question is, is it? I'd like to start off in something that would lead to good progression in the other languages (Java and scripting) if you get me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you are learning for professional development, personally I would start with the language I planned on being employed in. If this is C++, then perfect. But if you want to use Java/C# in the work-place, I would start there.

I think people say C++ is a good choice because it introduces some low-level concepts and doesn't do as much for you - you'll have greater control over your hardware and manage your own memory. It also will introduce you to some OO-concepts.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that while understanding the low-level concepts is important, most people will get further by first concentrating on the problem solving skills and use a language that will allow them to go from problem to solution the quickest while allowing plenty of room for trial and error best fits here. Gains in understanding will come quicker when the language allows to accomplish things quickly. I think languages such as Python suit here.

Of course, it also depends on where your interests lie, and what kind of software you plan on developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you haven't programmed before then I would not recommend C++ as the place to begin as it could prove to be overwhelming because of the lower level at which it works.

Python and Ruby would probably be the two easiest object oriented languages to begin with, both have emphasis on readability and simplicity which make them ideal for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Talisman wrote: »
    If you haven't programmed before then I would not recommend C++ as the place to begin as it could prove to be overwhelming because of the lower level at which it works.

Python and Ruby would probably be the two easiest object oriented languages to begin with, both have emphasis on readability and simplicity which make them ideal for beginners.

Yeah, seriously don't start with C++. We have come a long way since the 80s.

Look at C# or Java if you are looking to be employed as a software developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I think I'll focus on Python first and then look at Java.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bit monkey wrote: »
    I think I'll focus on Python first and then look at Java.
    I think that's an excellent idea. Python is a very easy language to learn, but a powerful one. Once you've learned programming concepts in it, they'll transfer easily to other languages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement