Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Development Environment - Setup?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I know this is going to sound dumb, but can anyone advise me of the best way to go about setting up a MS Dev. Environment?

I have a Dreamspark account, so I've easy access to Visual Studio Ultimate (even 2014) and SQL Server, but I've only ever used Visual Studio for some C# projects.

I'm looking to create a testing environment, to allow me to use Visual Studio for Visual Basic plugins (CoralDraw macros etc.), for Web App development (inc. php, javascript & ajax), and for getting to grips with the whole ASP.NET framework.

A college mate of mine said to look at SQL Server Lite, as it incorporates SQL Server Management Studio - tbh - I don't understand what that is, or why I need it?

Any advice, or tutorial links, would be really appreciated.

Short Version: How can I setup a MS version of xampp, incorporating Visual Studio and SQL Server?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

If you already have Visual Studio then you are half way there. You also need to download SQL Server Express. This will run as your local development database server. It comes with a Management Studio to allow you to manage there database server. Create, edit, delete and set permission etc.

Visual Studio is your development environment, you code your web applications using ASP.NET MVC or Webforms. It also has a built in web server, IIS Express, which you use to test and debug your web applications.

I suggest you go here and follow some of the tutorials:
    http://www.asp.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thanks for the link, that site looks great.

I installed Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate last night, and noticed during the install that it includes a version of localDB, so maybe that's all I'll need.

I've downloaded SQL Server 2012 Express Edition, with Advanced Services (SP1) as well, just in case localDB isn't flexible enough.
    I had considered trying SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition, but I read that you need to install this on a "clean/fresh" machine.

Started doing some web dev.
    Master page, css, intellisense - all great!
    It's very early days, and I know it's going to be a climb, but so far, I'm very impressed by Visual Studio.

Any other links / resources, please post them here.
    Especially interested in any video courses by lynda.com etc.

One I've been looking at: learnvisualstudio.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

mrmac wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, that site looks great.

I installed Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate last night, and noticed during the install that it includes a version of localDB, so maybe that's all I'll need.

I've downloaded SQL Server 2012 Express Edition, with Advanced Services (SP1) as well, just in case localDB isn't flexible enough.
    I had considered trying SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition, but I read that you need to install this on a "clean/fresh" machine.

Started doing some web dev.
    Master page, css, intellisense - all great!
    It's very early days, and I know it's going to be a climb, but so far, I'm very impressed by Visual Studio.

Any other links / resources, please post them here.
    Especially interested in any video courses by lynda.com etc.

One I've been looking at: learnvisualstudio.net

I wouldn't use the SQL Server Compact, use SQL Server Management Studio, that way you get more functionality and more practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Visual Studio online looks half decent. Azure allows you to spin up Dev environments easily as well. Not sure if dreamspark would have the same access or allowances on these though.

In terms of training pluralsight is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I wouldn't use the SQL Server Compact, use SQL Server Management Studio, that way you get more functionality and more practice.

Thanks for that.
    So you'd install the express edition, with advanced services - and then install the Management Studio?

Sorry for the simple questions, but trying to make actual sense of the info supplied by MS can be frustrating!

Install Summary:
    • Visual Studio 2013
    • SQL Server 2012 Express with Advanced Services (SP1)
    • SQL Server Management Studio

Really appreciate the replies; much easier to follow advice from "real" people! :cool:

• Advertisement

What you have listed there is your .NET environment complete for local development !
    Next step would be to decide which type of web architecture you want to use. .NET comes with two main flavours.

Asp.Net WebForms or Asp.Net MVC

Personally I would choose the MVC route. Webforms is a kind of bastardization of how the HTTP protocol what intended to be used and is best avoided in my opinion.

MVC is a much cleaner approach to web development, with a clear seperation of concerns. You will have a much better understanding of HTTP by using it and will be able to apply what you learned to other web frameworks.

Go here and go through each tutorial and you will have a very solid understanding of how MVC works:
    http://www.asp.net/mvc

These are the only 4 (Free) resources you need:

http://www.asp.net - Official microsoft site with tons of tutorials
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library - Official documentation and API references for the .NET Framework
    http://www.stackoverflow.com - Question and answers site for developers. Any problems or questions you have, ask here. You usually get a reply pretty quick.
    http://www.jabbr.net - Chat rooms for .NET developers. Also good for asking questions.

Pick a language to code in. I would suggest C#.

Advertisement