Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7, sleep with flash player in chrome running

Options
  • 30-07-2014 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

I'm out of practice with Windows I'm so long using linux. A PC in my house is set to go to sleep after 20 mins of inactivity but it fails to do so with the flash player in Chrome open. Trouble is he usually falls asleep with Youtube vids playing so the PC keeps running and the monitors don't go to standby. This could be at random hours so scheduling a task may not be of any use. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

in device manager right click the properties of your network adapter and go to power management.. there should be a setting there somewhere like 'allow this device to wake the computer', disable it and hopefully thatll fix it.

also if you check in windows power management settings, in the advanced options i believe there are some tweaks there at the bottom related to video streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

You can disable the chrome flash plugin.

In the title bar type chrome://plugins and there should be two. One that's pointed to the installed flash player (\Program Files), and the other that's built in (can't remember the path to that, but it should be obvious which is which). Disable the built-in one, set the sleep timer lower (5 mins...or less) and test with a video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

You can disable the chrome flash plugin.

In the title bar type chrome://plugins and there should be two. One that's pointed to the installed flash player (\Program Files), and the other that's built in (can't remember the path to that, but it should be obvious which is which). Disable the built-in one, set the sleep timer lower (5 mins...or less) and test with a video.

Tried this, no matter which one I disable I'm still seeing the high definition audio device listed as the device keeping it awake using the powercfg /requests command when I have YouTube open

This guide has been a great resource
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/markaggar/archive/2009/10/21/tales-of-pc-insomnia.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

It's actually working, it seems chrome keeps the audio stream open for a time and then kills it. If I set sleep to 15 mins it works with the system flash plugin disabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

It's actually working, it seems chrome keeps the audio stream open for a time and then kills it. If I set sleep to 15 mins it works with the system flash plugin disabled

Jaysis...it was a shot in the dark, but glad it worked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement